Kudos: 28

Unifi doesn't see VM traffic flowing to WAN

Hello everyone.

I have a Windows 10 VM running under ESXi to a USW8>USG. This VM is setup to do off-site sync of my fileserver to cloud storage and thus I have a need to limit it's upload bandwidth. Unifi sees this VM like any other client on the network and is statically assinging an IP to it however at this moment Unifi sees 0bytes of traffic flowing from this VM. My initial solution to capping it's speed was to create a new user group with a 15Mb upload limit and then I assigned the client to this group, however since it doesn't see any of the traffic, it has no way to limit it's bandwidth use.

I can can see, historically, that UNifi has seen some traffic from this client, could it be that the sync to Google is SSL and that traffic in this format is entirely invisible to Unifi? I really do not know.

Thank You in advance.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 241
Solutions: 101

Re: Unifi doesn't see VM traffic flowing to WAN

The user groups wont apply to wired clients right now. Are you by chance running another gateway on this network? Can you provide a screen shot of the client property panels statistics pane?
Adam Dipple | UniFi Support Team
Kudos: 28

[ Edited ]

Attached...you can see it has recorded some data, randomly it will see data flowing, but often it says 0.  Also, no, the setup is cable modem>USG>US-8-60W> Clients and a UAP-HD.  running 5.7.20 and the firmwares are all the reccomended firmwares for this controller version.

If the data is being uploaded with SSL, is that any issue for Unifi to see that packets are flowing and how big?

Screenshot_20180402-142044~2.png
Kudos: 2

Is your host a Dell? I get all sorts of weird disconnect/reconnect messages under events, although nothing actually does disconnect, and the host and VMs show 0 bytes for the time it thinks they were connected. I've never had a single thing in Unifi be consistent in the month I've had this stuff, I just ignore it now, and the stats, overview and reporting were a big draw for me.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 366
Solutions: 121

@Zak95 The reason you're seeing disconnect/reconnect for VMs in events is that those VMs have no traffic flowing across any UniFi devices, so they don't get informed to the controller. After 5 minutes the MAC address of the VM drops from the switch's MAC table. When the VM answers a broadcast (such as an ARP request) then the switch will store it again, hence the disconnect/reconnect messages. 

Best way to stop that is either a network monitoring system, even something basic like smokeping, or you could run a bash script on the VMs themselves (that's what I do).

Brandon Jaffe | UniFi Routing & Switching | Austin, TX
Kudos: 2

Ahh thanks I wasn't aware of that I'll look into it, it's not a big issue just annoying.  My host shows disconnects too, but it doesn't disconnect, someone else had an issue with a dell ESXi host, thought there was a small can of worms.

Kudos: 3

Sorry to bump this but I'm having the same problem.

Since I've been started using Ubiquity devices, the controller won't recognize any live activity of my (whitebox) ESXi server and its VMs. The controller itself is also located on that ESXi.

The controller does indeed recognize the VMs correctly and tells me the IP and MAC addresses but activity always stays at 0bps. I can see some (correct) historical data when looking at the DPI tab.

My setup is quite simple:

ESXi's VM NIC -> USW8 -> USW8 -> USG3P -> ISP-Router

The switches are running FW 4.0.22, USG is on 4.4.36 and the controller is 5.10.12 ... but it didn't work with stable releases as well.

Unifi Controller 5.8.24 - USG 3P 4.4.22.5086045
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 241
Solutions: 101

@oxident with the logic that the controller and switches have right now for reporting the multiple hosts on a single port are indistinguishable and cannot be assigned a value for activity.
Adam Dipple | UniFi Support Team
Highlighted
Kudos: 3

Adam, thanks for pointing that out. It's a pity that the controller won't use the vMAC address for that reason.

Unifi Controller 5.8.24 - USG 3P 4.4.22.5086045