Kudos: 52
Solutions: 1

Re: Unifi with POE doubts

ad vantage is u get to see this and drill into the system for stats.

network.JPG
Established Member
Kudos: 747
Solutions: 121

Only if you use UniFi switches as well, which adds to the cost considerably as well as being overkill for the OP.

I'm referring to the LAN tab, which gives access to the switch config and metrics. OP also has no declared need for VoIP either, so is not likely to ever see your screenshot.

If pasting output, please use the code tags button ({i})!
Please help the community find useful posts and solutions by hitting the "Kudos" and "Accept as Solution" buttons!
Kudos: 52

True, I have customers i monitor for just the wireless part, and all i see is just the wireless, but the advantage of the USG, switch and the AP is everything is managed, and you can see trouble and head it off. kill off high trafic devices etc. Who knows what his lan could grow too. I do wish that UBNT had a smaller switch than the 24, and I am sure its been discussed. But if he sets up this group this way he has no growth issues, he can manage it remotely as i do my customers and many of us do, and he can add more customers if he sets up this in his home. Btw this is my home network.

I suppose the VOIP is going away, sure wish they would replace that with the mfi! so i can manage all from one controller. When i show this screen to customers they kinda get excited, i show them the speed test over the wan icon,

I show them the device list, and I tell them you can see whats happening on your network any time. I also call the customers when the networks down as i have 365 connected to it, and i get emails quick, then i call the cust.

I just wish UBNT would get caught up on the mifi lines becase thats exciting too. I have the vid system, and thats nice, but for example I got a aiphone ip based door entry system. I wish UBNT had that, and they easily could, they have all the need materials. Lets get busy! Put out more kick ass products that  people want to have. I even wish they would keep the voip, i had plans for at least a dozen business's for it. Now I have to use grandstream.

Kudos: 4

But with the edge router I can setup as well a controller like aí did with unifi controller on my vps?
Established Member

You'll still need a controller for the APs, but the Controller will not control the EdgeRouter, nor will it show any stats from it.

The controller also does not run on the EdgeRouter, it will still need to be a standalone controller.

Please help the community find useful posts and solutions by hitting the "Kudos" and "Accept as Solution" buttons!

Standalone controller, you mean, I can host that controller for edge router on my vps?

Similar like I do to controll unifi AP?
Established Member

There is no controller for EdgeRouters. You configure them using either a WebUI or CLI through SSH or the console. 

The controller I was talking about was your UniFi controller, but this has nothing to do with the router. Sorry if I was not clear on that.

Ok, I will setup trough WebUI.

But as I asked previously, there is and disvantage to use edge router like this

Isp router (bridge mode) - edge router (connect 4 eth ports to my 4 unifi AP trough Ubiquiti ethernet cable

My setup it's quite simple, but when you introduce USG I was quite confuse. Cause with edge router (6 ports) I will not need anything more, but with USG I will need another switch.
Clues?

The main question is, to "feed" 4 unifi AP, what it's the best solution?

Usg+switch OR Edge router (6ports)
Established Member

The EdgeRouter is the simplest solution as it does not require any further equipment. Configuration for your use case is entirely possible through the WAN+2LAN2 wizard from what you've told us.

I'd still say the EdgeRouter.

Any tutorial to start from scratch my setup?

Since I have my ISP router in bridge mode (only acting as modem), can you please show me any tutorial to start diging?

My old setup was, with my ISP router (dhcp server) give directly internet to those 4 Unifi AP, I had plenty complaining like:

-people with smartphones could not login into my wifi network

-some of them was surfin on the internet but really slow, and my ISP give me 100mb down / 8mb up.

So after a few troubleshooting a friend of mine advise me to get a "proper router" and leave the ISP router only as modem.

I think the best thing to do:

-I will restore a brand new firmware to my 4 Unifi's and setup with edge router

Highlighted
Established Member

Use the WAN2LAN2 wizard and set up your WAN connection as a PPPoE on port eth0. The rest should automatically be place on to switch0, which you will give your LAN IP to and set up all your LAN services on.