Kudos: 4
Solutions: 1

Unifi with POE doubts

Hi,

I have my ISP router on a grond-floor.

Than I have 4 Unifi AP, all of them connected trough ethernet cable from the ISP router.

The length it's

From ISP router to first Unifi AP - 12 meters

From ISP router to second Unifi AP - 15 meters

From ISP router to third Unifi AP - 18 meters

From ISP router to fourth Unifi AP - 25 meters

Question?

If I still use my ISP router (cause i'm thinking to buy a Ubiquiti egde router) where should I located the POE that comes with unifi AP?

Near ISP router or near unifi AP

And If buy the Ubiquiti edge router I will still need those POE adapter on every Unifi AP or the Ubiquiti edge router does it?

Thanks in advance

SuperUser
Kudos: 5324
Solutions: 1769

Re: Unifi with POE doubts

Shouldn't matter where you locate those POEs. I'd put them with the ISP router, and use a big UPS to power all the network equipment.

EdgeRouterPOE could power your UAPs (which model UAP do you have?), but usually, all your APs would plug into a POE switch, and then the switch into the router.

Let switches do switching jobs, and routers do the routing.
I did it my way .... Man Happy

Thanks for your kind reply.

I have 3 unifi AP lr and 1 unifi Ap outdoor.

I was thinking to left the isp router Just give internet to edge router, and edge router acting as a master router with dhcp server.

Cuse I want to buy the Edge router and leave my ISP router only as "gateway", and use the edge router to do the DHCP job...

I have several complaints about people could not login to my wifi network, and with all the things I have done so far, it seems to me that the main problem it's the ISP router acting as a DHCP server.

Anyone can give me a help?

Kudos: 52

Well it could be you have two dhcp servers, but you can easily test this. Do you have a Domain controller on your network? DNS Server? there are a lot of reasons you could have this issue. Need to do a little more trouble shooting here. And we can help! first thing you should do is ensure you only have one DHCP server, How do you have your network setup? what is the address. 10.0.0.0/24? etc...

Please find in attach my print screen from Unifi controller.

The problem it's, that I have setup the dhcp 192.168.2.XXX but my clients still have 192.168.1.XXX (because my ISP router / gateway still with this 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254)

So, I'm a bit confused, and I believe that all my 4 Unifi AP don't do at all dhcp server...

dhcp.jpg
Established Member
Kudos: 747
Solutions: 121

That explains the confusion. That section in the GUI only actually applies if you are also using a UniFi Security Gateway. If you only have UAPs, it does nothing.

If pasting output, please use the code tags button ({i})!
Please help the community find useful posts and solutions by hitting the "Kudos" and "Accept as Solution" buttons!

[ Edited ]

Ok I have cleaned that.

However, I think that was not doing notthing at all.

That's why I want to buy the Edge Router

https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x-sfp/

However, I will need your help, in order to setup my ISP Router only as normal "gateway" only providing internet to the Edge router, nothing more. I know how to do it, it's applying as a bridge mode on ISP router.

And than, I need to connect the ethernet cable from ISP router, into a WAN port of Edge router.

Will be much more "friendly" to all of my network to work only with Ubiquiti stuff?

Established Member

The EdgeRouter-X is a fantastic piece of equipment.

How do you get your WAN connection? ADSL, VDSL or something else? If one of those two, you might be able to put it in bridge mode and set up your PPPoE connection directly from the ER-X.

Please help the community find useful posts and solutions by hitting the "Kudos" and "Accept as Solution" buttons!

No... It needs to pass on the ISP router.

One thing than I will need, it's the Edge router to act as a "Master router" and all of 4 Unifi AP ONLY as AP, nothing more.

After I receive Edge router, I will ask your advice in order to make simply and friendly acceptable... cause so far, I was almost trough away all the Ubiquiti Unifi AP because many people complaining about "login" in to the wifi...

why not use the usg? i think if you want something easy, use the usg, host the controler anywhere need it, and put the isp router in bridge mode like sugested you will get the best through put. also the AP's will act as a mesh with the controller so its a win win. You will look like a hero, and the customer will be happy.

[ Edited ]

Man Sad don't tell me that Man Sad

I have bought the edge router a few minutes ago...

That's the best solution?!?!?!

1 - with this edge router, I will use one wan port (to receive from ISP router) and the rest 4 eth ports connect directly to unifi AP.

2 - If I exchange my order to https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-switching-routing/usg/, than I will need other switch to use 4 ethernet cables... I'm right?

Please advise me as fast as you can please, to see if I need to change my order...

you can always return it! they are kinda cheep 120 i think for USG.

1 - with this edge router, I will use one wan port (to receive from ISP router) and the rest 4 eth ports connect directly to unifi AP.

2 - If I exchange my order to https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-switching-routing/usg/, than I will need other switch to use 4 ethernet cables... I'm right?

Please advise me as fast as you can please, to see if I need to change my order...

Established Member

@plopes1960 wrote:

This is generally the idea, but as it uses all 5 RJ45 ports, it does not leave you with much room to connect wired devices. You will be able to get a transceiver which allows you to use the SFP port as an additional RJ45 which you could also use to uplink to a switch later.

There is a wizard that will let you set the basics up quite easily, a USG isn't really going to help you ever so much here in my opinion.

Yes you will need a switch get the 24port poe switch from unifi and you will ahve everything managed easily!

Only after receiving the order, I will be able to change... But I think this edge will be enough for my setup

well the idea is to manage it easily and thats what the unifi products do for you.

My setup it's quite simple...

Now I'm quite confuse for edge router or usg + switch...

Any advantages or disvantages???
Established Member

Unless you need extra wired ports and you can get a cheap deal on an 8 port (PoE) switch, the ER-X is fine for you.

The USG is a good device and integrates with the UniFi controller, but unless you need the extra ports, it won't really offer you anything extra.