Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 622
Solutions: 40
Contributions: 1

Update on 24V Passive PoE Support on UniFi Switch Product Line (8/25/17)

Updated Summary Concerning 24V Passive Support in UniFi Switch product line (8/25/17):

We will continue to provide hardware support for 24V Passive Power over Ethernet on all UniFi Switch models that previously featured 24V passive, including:

- US-8-150W
- US-16-150W
- US-24-250W
- US-24-500W
- US-48-500W
- US-48-750W

Any future switch models we will produce will not feature hardware support 24V Passive PoE.

Why we decided to take a different route: 
A few weeks ago, we announced on the community that due to the need to update our PoE mechanism and improve our switch function that we would be phasing out support for 24V Passive PoE. Since the initial post we heard from many of our community users who expressed dissatisfaction over this change and expressed they preferred a different course of action. A number of users expressed concerns about purchasing products, continuing 24V Passive support for already purchased devices, RMA complications that may arise, etc.

At Ubiquiti, our customers’ feedback is of the utmost importance to us and we strive to listen and engage our customers to receive their input whenever we can. Accordingly, we heard and understood the concerns that were voiced to us we have decided to take an alternative course that we are confident will resolve many of the reported concerns. 

As a part of this announcement, we again reiterate the importance of our users upgrading their hardware as their UniFi deployments permit. 802.3af/at PoE+ offers many benefits over 24V passive including stability and convenience. Our Instant 802.3af Gigabit Adapters remain an alternative, affordable way to provide the benefits of 802.3af to older 24V Passive dependant hardware:https://www.ubnt.com/accessories/instant-8023af-adapters/

We want to express our thanks to all who weighed in and provided constructive feedback and to all of our community users for their continued participation.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks Enterprise Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Kudos: 502
Solutions: 3

Re: Update on 24V Passive PoE Support on UniFi Switch Product Line (8/25/17)

Hey... NICE. Thanks for listening.

Frankly I didn't mind the drop of support for 24v, but I understand the concerns of others, especially the RMA one.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 21
Solutions: 1

Good decision. In the future, when all other products are on "normal" PoE for a while it will be OK to drop 24V, but for now much appreciated that you continue providing it!

Kudos: 2

Ha.  That's funny!

So you are purposely shooting yourself in the foot by no longer supporting POE for your UAP-AC-Lite & UAP-AC-LR products!

Kudos: 1305
Solutions: 176

I'm not sure if you actually read the OP but perhaps you may want to do so. . .your post shows ignorance in that respect.

The TL;DR is the opposite of what you noted and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the the underlying topic.

Kudos: 5
Solutions: 2

Very good to hear! This is one of the things I really love about Ubiquiti. They actually consider feedback from the communitiy and tend to make every reasonable effort to do right by their customers.

Kudos: 34
Solutions: 2

I guess I won't use up the gross of Instant 802.3af Gigabit Adapters that are arriving Tuesday as soon as I thought.

Was there a problem with 24V passive PoE introduced in 3.8.6.6650 firmware?

My UAPs went offline nearly a week after upgrading to 3.8.6.6650.  The cloudkey, In-Wall APs and Outdoor+ AP were fine, but I couldn't get the UAPs back online until I downgraded the switch to 3.8.3.6587.  All APs are still at 3.8.6.6650 and the controller is 5.5.20.  

Kudos: 21

>>Our Instant 802.3af Gigabit Adapters remain an alternative, affordable way to provide the benefits of 802.3af to older 24V Passive dependant hardware

I once used those adapters to connected and power UAP-AC Lites from PoE. The APs continually rebooted as long as they were powered by the adpaters. I read that the voltage output of the adapters was 18 volts. After powering the APs with their inline power supplies, they worked normally.

Does this mean that new switches are due out soon?

Kudos: 30
Solutions: 1

Aren't the cameras powered by 24V Passive PoE?

USG-Pro-4
2x US-16-150, US-8
2x UAP-AC-Pro, UAP-AC-IW
2x UVC-G3 w/INS-3AF
Custom Controller/NVR

[ Edited ]

I believe most all of the cameras prior to the G3 line were in fact powered by passive 24V PoE.  I know I currently have a UVC bullet and dome that are both 24V.

You're right, @aschmidtm. Even the G3s are 24V. I was thinking they had changed them. 😊

[ Edited ]

The switch I just bought in Canada won't allow me to enable 24V passive POE on any of the ports unless I am missing something.

the model number on the box is US-8-150W and on the device it says US-8-150W but in the controller, it is coming up as "UniFi Switch 8 AT-150W"

Does this mean I have a new version of the switch that does not have hardware support for 24V passive POE

From my understanding, your post here says any new Models will not have 24V passive support. Does that actually mean any recently made switches do not have 24V passive support or..?

If that's the case shouldn't a physical change like that be shown by a new model number on the device and box?

Capture.PNG
Kudos: 1018
Solutions: 284

[ Edited ]

There has been a misstake in production. They decided not to produce Gen1 switches without 24v but some got produced by mistake.

See this thread: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Manufacturing-Mixup-Gen1-UniFi-Switches-without-24V-Sup...

Thank you for that, exactly what I needed

[ Edited ]

Switch US-24-250W (translation from german to english with google)
Unfortunately, I now have a problem with the switch setting. I bought the following products: USG + Unifi Switch 24-250w + Cloud Key + 4 UAP-AC-Lite! At the moment the stand is so the 2 UAP's Lite (ground floor + floor) with the house + guest WLAN run. The other 2 UAP's should ever be in a children's rooms. How can I now select the time control in the switch so that the ports with the UAP's in the children's rooms turn off in the evening at 20 o'clock and turn on again at 7 o'clock in the morning (possibly on the weekend longer)? In the Unifi controller software I created for each children a WLAN which turns off also at these times. But I'm concerned with the UAP radiation in the children's rooms, I want to turn off at night (port switch manually does not work). Thank you in advance. Marc

(translation from german to english with google)
Unfortunately, none of the community could help me or Ubiquiti on the topic Port Shutdown with the time received. Had unfortunately thought that the port shutdown is easier to implement with the software in the switch or the controller! I'm a little disappointed with the software, because the product Switch + USG + AP are great.
Only turning off the WLAN is no use, it is also about the LAN access in the children's rooms.
It would have to be only the time control as for the WLAN for each port of the switch possible. Actually it already exists in perfect execution in the area guest WLAN.
Maybe someone knows if this is planned for the future, possibly with a software update.
Thanks and regards Marc

I have a question I hope someone can help me out with. I am new to Ubiquiti but not new to networking. I have 2 nearly identical setups.

1st Setup:

EdgeRouter Lite connected to a unifi 8 port 150 watt. Manged with CloudKey. 4 Unifi AP-AC-LR connected with POE+. All current firmware. Set up all out of the box no problems.

2nd Setup:

EdgeRouter Lite connected to a unifi 8 port 150 watt. Manged with CloudKey. 6 Unifi AP-AC-LR. All current firmware.

The AP-AC-LR will not connect at all on POE+. I had to manually set each port to 24 Volt Passive to have them work.

All hardware bought at same time. Sent second switch back got new one same thing.

Question:

Why does one setup up work fine on POE+ and the others will not?

I have reset all parts many times and same result. The only physical difference is that the 1st setup connects the 8 port-150w direct from Edge ourter to Unifi swich. The 2nd set up the router is connected to a 5 port Netgear 1GB switch which then connects to the 8 Port-150w swtich. Both Unifi setups (ClouKey, Switch, APs) are on a Unifi 8 port Switch.

Looking for some advice/

Kudos: 10

there are 2 version of AP-AC-LR.
one version(older) has only 24v passive.
the latest version has 24v passive and 48v poe
SuperUser
Kudos: 10692
Solutions: 658
Contributions: 1

@athman80wrote:

The entire UAP-AC line should have been 802.3af/at PoE instead of trying to use that as a wedge to segment the UAP-AC-LITE from the Pro models. If they'd made that switch when all of us were buying new AC gear this really wouldn't be a problem now.

And that helps things now how exactly?  ;-)

It wasn't intended as a "wedge", it was simply that before the original AC UAP (the square one) they could get enough power over the cable with 24V; with that AP they had to go to 48V to do it.   Then about 2 years ago the decision was made to move all of UniFi to 48V af/at, and that's how we got to where we are today.   Back whan UniFi started everything UBNT did was 24V - nothing nefarious here...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)