Kudos: 63
Solutions: 16

Upgrading from USG3p to the Pro....

Hi folks,

Thinking of upgrading to the USG Pro and was wondering how much of the Pro can be configured before actually puting it in place?

As in, can it do any of the following before hand:

Set up the same firewall rules?

Set up the same port forwarding rules?

Set up the WAN & LAN config?

Set up the wireless lan config?

Thanks

Kudos: 44

Re: Upgrading from USG3p to the Pro....

Everthing if you use the Json config. 

Established Member
Kudos: 399
Solutions: 35

I can’t see why you would upgrade to the Pro when the UDM will be GA soon and that’s twice as fast, minimum, for the same or less money. And it runs the new Ubios, which seems to be what will be the focus going forward. 

@wja96 

Hi, what is this new product you’ve mentioned?

And when you say soon...how soon is soon, weeks away or months away?

Also, I’m not one to generally to just onto a new release of a product...but will take a look if there is any info about this yet?

Established Member

Kudos: 5

what is Ubios? and where can I read more about it?

@wja96 

Thanks for the link, however that type of product is not why I got into unifi......I like to have a dedicated device to do a dedicated job (router as a router only, switch as a switch only and an AP as an AP) this new UDM is just a much newer version of what I used to have (Apple airport extreme, AC version) before I got into Unifi.

Established Member

@malcky wrote:

@wja96 

Thanks for the link, however that type of product is not why I got into unifi......I like to have a dedicated device to do a dedicated job (router as a router only, switch as a switch only and an AP as an AP) this new UDM is just a much newer version of what I used to have (Apple airport extreme, AC version) before I got into Unifi.

Sorry - I obviously wasn't clear. My point was that development on the current Unifi controller and firmware has effectively ground to a halt. The UDM appears to be built on a completely new software platform - albeit one that looks and feels the same as the old one. And the router function is quoted to run at 700Mbps - 1Gbps with IPS/IDS switched on. That's MUCH faster than a USG-4P and you can plug your switches and access points into the UDM as if it was a standalone router with a Cloud Key plugged into it. Just because it looks like a consumer WLAN/router doesn't mean it won't destroy a USG-4P in terms of routing, because it clearly will. 

By buying a USG-4P you are buying into something that is the 'last product line' - there is no information as to whether or not the new Ubios firmware and controller will run on the existing hardware. If it doesn't then you're buying kit that will not benefit from any future firmware and controller updates. 

Look at the last 3 'big' controller upgrades - 5.8.x got assignable interfaces on the USG as the big feature upgrade. 5.9.x was basically just a new front screen for the controller because behind the widget screen, it's still the same as 5.8.x and 5.10.x gets the dark mode - again, just a cosmetic feature. All the hardcore programmers have been working on Ubios and I don't think they're coming back. If you read the final updates on the VPN and MUlti-WAN threads work on getting those into the GUI has been shelved to work on other priorities. Those priorities are obviously Ubios related. 

Obviously, it's your choice where to spend your money, but if you don't need a USG-4P right now, I would stand by my original statement that it will look very poor value when the new stuff comes out very soon. 

@wja96 

Thanks for your detailed input......all very informative and accurate in what your saying.

Only thing is, for me and where I am in the UK....we still seem to be in the dark ages when it comes to internet speeds....I am on a 80/20 fttc connection (and I sync at 79/20) and I dont think there will be anything faster from any ISP in my area for many years yet.

This is also a home network this and a very simple one at that too.....in that the USG3p does everything I need it to do in terms of its routing and port forwarding ect that I have set up.....the ONLY thing that it is underpowered for in my home use is when I want to use QOS to reduce bufferbloat.....and while it does that perfectly, it does not give me the full speed my line is capable of due to it being underpowered.....with QOS enabled, my the USG3p maxes out at 40-50Mbps down and 14-16Mbps up.

So if the Pro can get me closer to my sync speed (79/20) with QOS enabled then that will keep me happy for a good few years....unless an upgrade in an ISP in my area happens first.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 128

If you want to upgrade from a USG-3P go for the USG-XG-8. Going to USG-Pro-4 will not give you much (one interface and a bit more CPU power but still nothing to run IDS/IPS at 1Gbit speed.

Kudos: 10

@AF360 wrote:

If you want to upgrade from a USG-3P go for the USG-XG-8. Going to USG-Pro-4 will not give you much (one interface and a bit more CPU power but still nothing to run IDS/IPS at 1Gbit speed.

So, he only has internet of under 100/20...and your suggestion is to upgrade from a $130 USD router to a $2200+ USD router?

It doesn't seem like you reviewed what he wrote at all and just offered a blanket suggestion.  I doubt most of us are prepared to shelve out $2200 for a home router.  Some, sure...but most?  No.

The Pro-4 will be significantly faster than the USG3, but for the OP, with the internet speeds you have, I don't see how you'd have any speed issues with a USG3 really, even with everything turned on.  

Are you running a current firmware?  You should be seeing speeds above 50Mb with QOS enabled.  Make sure firmware is up to date.  If it is, consider doing a hard reset and configure again from scratch.  I'd suspect something's wrong.  I've had QOS enabled before and my 200Mb cable modem connection still saw upwards of 140Mb throughput if I remember correctly on my USG3.

@tullnd 

The USG3p has worked very well for me for a few years as it is a very simple home set up, and it is only recently that I have started to play around with QOS which I find makes a nice diffence in day to day browsing.....just feels a lot more nippy loading web pages and general surfing even if the speeds are abound 50Mbps.

I have had a search on here to see roughly what speeds can be expected from the USG3p with QOS enabled and from I found it seemed to be around 35Mbps a few years ago and then gradually increased with newer firmware.....and my USG is on the lastest firmware of 4.4.36......perhaps a reset of the whole system is needed and start from scratch could help?

So, I have a cloud key gen2+, USG3p, US-24, US-8-60w & a US-8....are you suggesting reset everything or just the USG?

I will also start a new thread asking what speeds folks are currently getting with QOS turned on too, to see if mine is normal or not.

Thanks