Emerging Member
Kudos: 15
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

Using old unmanaged switched with unifi - network information map

Hello,

I have the USG, the clould key and an AP.

I am wondering if I can grab all the proper network map information (visual diagram in the controller with connections) without using a specific unifi switch? I don't really see a need to upgrade the dumb switch.

Or is that the magic of using all unifi parts, more info, more control, more awesomeness?

Accepted Solutions
Established Member
Kudos: 1084
Solutions: 51

Re: Using old unmanaged switched with unifi - network information map

It wont grab any info from the non ubnt dumb switch.  

You will see a gap in information and in diagram.  

I can't teach you anything, I can only make you think
Don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudos

View solution in original post

SuperUser
Kudos: 5856
Solutions: 385

At home I have one of the newer smaller Unifi 8 port switches with my Internet router and most important equipment all plugged in to get stats on those.  Everything else is plugged into my old Netgear.  

I get pleanty of stats still - and I still see traffic counts for devices on the netgear that talk to anything on the Unifi switch.  The only traffic you don't see is devices that talk to each other on the non-Unifi switch.  The only way to solve that is upgrade everything to Unifi kit.

Yeah, I would like to see all the stats in the controller but what I have now is more than enough.  k

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member
Kudos: 1084
Solutions: 51

It wont grab any info from the non ubnt dumb switch.  

You will see a gap in information and in diagram.  

I can't teach you anything, I can only make you think
Don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudos
Emerging Member
Kudos: 14

I find that even a dumb switch between 2 unifi switches breaks its ability to make the topography diagram correct, and the downstream switch just shows in the second column with no uplink line at all.

That is a shame, I would have thought it would have been able to at least map that correctly and put something between them and show all the other devices off the dumb switch on that fake switch since it can see them on the upstream one on that port, but the downstream one would see those mac addresses on its upstream port.

I guess I will eventually get more unifi gear, but for now its the ones that make power that I need to sort out. I have got a couple of US-8s to put on the games consoles and the desk where I plug laptops etc in which will help with the map slightly, except they cant go downstream from the us8 60w that I have as a "main switch" for now.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 15
Solutions: 1

I wish this stuff was cheaper in my area, I'd just buy a bunch and toss the old equipment.

Problem is that the prices are double the USD ones, which is more than the exchange rates and taxes.
SuperUser
Kudos: 5856
Solutions: 385

At home I have one of the newer smaller Unifi 8 port switches with my Internet router and most important equipment all plugged in to get stats on those.  Everything else is plugged into my old Netgear.  

I get pleanty of stats still - and I still see traffic counts for devices on the netgear that talk to anything on the Unifi switch.  The only traffic you don't see is devices that talk to each other on the non-Unifi switch.  The only way to solve that is upgrade everything to Unifi kit.

Yeah, I would like to see all the stats in the controller but what I have now is more than enough.  k

When you receive a solution to your question/issue, don't forget to mark your thread as solved and to give kudo's to the people who have helped you out!

Having wifi problems? Take a look here first: https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/221029967-UniFi-Debugging-Intermittent-Connectivity-Issues-on-your-UAP