Kudos: 10
Solutions: 4

VLAN for unifi cameras on US-24-250W

I have project coming up where I need to install 40 of the uvc-g3 cameras on our network.

we also have purchased several Unifi switches, US-24-250W.

what I would like to do is create vlan for camera traffic only, so that we can limit any bandwidth issues due to the 40 cameras.

I realized after purchasing that the switches are layer 2 only, but they should be capable of what I need, correct?

any gotchas I need to watch out for?

Re: VLAN for unifi cameras on US-24-250W

I have switches from different manufacturers between our corp router and the cameras.

HP, Dell, UNifi.  all are managed switches, so all should be able to pass the vlan traffic without problem, right?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14
Solutions: 1

I have been looking to do something similar (not quite 40 cameras - more like 10). The switches are indeed L2 but are VLAN aware so should be able to pass traffic on the VLAN. Since they are not L3 though if you want to view your camera feeds on another VLAN your traffic will have to traverse up to your router to make it to the other VLAN and back down to your switch.

Established Member
Kudos: 568
Solutions: 157

As long as you aren't routing the camera traffic you should be fine. Put them all on the same subnet and you won't have issues.
Help the community by marking issues as solved when they are!

If you need some help or just someone to bounce ideas off on a project, please send requests/details to:
consult@think-networks.com

[ Edited ]

when a user at the local site views the cameras they login to video.ubnt.com, so does it not already go up to the router and then back down?

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14
Solutions: 1

captainjtkirk wrote:

when a user at the local site views the cameras they login to video.ubnt.com, so does it not already go up to the router and then back down?

I don't think there is a requirement that you use video.ubnt.com is there (I honestly don't know)? I would imagine if you have your own internal software/hardware to view the cameras you can simply reference them by IP address. Doing so with that software running on the same VLAN as the cameras would keep all traffic at the switch but doing it across VLANs would force traffic to head up from the switch to the router, be routed to the other VLAN, and travese back down the switch to the device. No traffic would leave the router on WAN OUT but it still has to come through LAN IN, route, and back through LAN OUT.

that is interesting thought.

you could go to the cameras via their IP address, and that would let you view them locally, but I do not see a way to do that via the controller.

If you have 40 cameras, viewing by IP address just wouldnt be manageable.

may do another post to ask if it is possible to manage locally.

Established Member
Kudos: 568
Solutions: 157

video.ubnt.com does not stream data as it says.

The client connections are all local in that case. However if you are on the site then you would just open the video app and connect to the local controller if thats the case (which video.ubnt.com also would do).
Help the community by marking issues as solved when they are!

If you need some help or just someone to bounce ideas off on a project, please send requests/details to:
consult@think-networks.com