Kudos: 1
Solutions: 1

Re: VLAN tagging on Unifi switch not working

@SprockTech wrote:

@cubbz wrote:

If I configure this port as vlan50, it should tag that traffic and I don't need a vm with bridged config and vlan tagging from the guest. The config doesn't get simpler than this, see screenshots.

If you configure a switch port using the VLAN50 profile then VLAN50 will be the native untagged VLAN on that port.

--

Klint

Apologies, I'm not a network engineer. I did read the docs and guides here on UBNT and elsewhere, but I may not fully grasp the concept. Been only reading this for a few days now and its the first time configuring something like this.

The way I understand it is that a switch port configured with a single VLAN accepts untagged traffic and will deliver it to a destination on that same VLAN. If the destination port is a trunk, the switch tags the traffic and delivers it.

If a port is configured as a trunk and you feed it untagged traffic, the switch accepts it for VLAN1 (untagged default LAN). If you feed that same trunk port tagged traffic for the VLAN its part of, it accepts and delivers it to the the destination in that VLAN (trunk or otherwise).

Either way, with my last action I got it working. I had to start from scratch and redo the VLAN config.

Not only does the laptop work on a dedicated vlan50 port, I also got my VM working on a trunk port. I was able to create a macvlan network for docker and spawn a docker container on vlan50 as well.

Now I just need to configure policy based routing on pfsense but I've done that before so I'm good!

Many thanks everyone for thinking along and helping me out! Really appreciated!

Highlighted
Kudos: 99
Solutions: 17

Re: VLAN tagging on Unifi switch not working

@cubbz wrote:

The way I understand it is that a switch port configured with a single VLAN accepts untagged traffic and will deliver it to a destination on that same VLAN. If the destination port is a trunk, the switch tags the traffic and delivers it.

If a port is configured as a trunk and you feed it untagged traffic, the switch accepts it for VLAN1 (untagged default LAN). If you feed that same trunk port tagged traffic for the VLAN its part of, it accepts and delivers it to the the destination in that VLAN (trunk or otherwise).

This is a correct understanding. When I first started with UniFi it was a little weird for me too because they don't necessarily use standard terms, such as PVID, instead they use terms like "native". 

Glad you got it working with a clean site config! Man Very Happy

--

Klint

Primary Innovator at Sprocket Technology
UEWA | Contributor to Easy UBNTUFW Lockdown, Companion API | Host on Vultr