Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted

VLANs with USG or need of a Ubiquiti switch

[ Edited ]

Hallo I need some clearification...

Actually I have a Router (Fritzbox) providing the Internet which does DHCP and serves two Unifi AP with the Internet.

My intent is to totally sperate the Network via VLAN, that in any case no one in networkrange 192.168.10.XXX can get access to 192.168.20.XXX for example (and the other way around).

I also want to achiev that a limitation of bandwith for a networkrang is possible. To point it out, all clients that are conneted to the guest Network (wireless) will get 10 mbits max, but not for each client 10 mbits.

I'll only have 4 different usergroups with different limitations in speed. All 4 usergroups are connected to the Unifi AP wireless. I also run a Raspberry Pi with the Controller Software that a want to Connect to the USG and only one of the 4 Usergroups can get access to the Raspberry Pi

Does the simple Ubiquiti 4-Port USG this job or do I need to buy a switch also.

The connection would be:

Fritzbox(Router/Modem)---Ubiquiti USG--- Unifi AP 1 and Unifi AP 2

I appreciate any help and advice

Thanks

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2086
Solutions: 193

Re: VLANs with USG or need of a Ubiquiti switch

With multiple APs, you need a switch of some sort that supports VLAN tagging to accomplish that. It could be an unmanaged switch if one that just passes through VLAN tags as-is (some do, some don't), but usually managed switches are used in that case. 

Thanks

would this also be the case if I only use one AP?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2086
Solutions: 193

With a single AP, if you have no wired devices, you could just plug the AP straight into USG's LAN port.