Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

VPN Client of USG

Hi guys, I have bought a USG-3P and I am confused about the "VPN Client" configuration:

I know that if I want to access my home network from outside, I can configure "Remote user VPN".

If I want to connect two LANs, I can configure "Site-to-Site VPN".

But what's the "VPN Client" used for?

Can someone explain this for me?

Thanks.

1.png

Accepted Solutions
Established Member
Kudos: 580
Solutions: 157

Re: VPN Client of USG

VPN Client - This allows you to connect to another network as a client of that network. This is usually used for remote users traveling or working from home and need connections to work systems. The USG however includes this so you can connect just the same.

Site to Site VPN - this connects you to another network but this is more used to connect 2 separate networks and have them behave as kinda one. This is more of a permanent connection say between smaller stores and the main HQ or between several buildings but not close enough to run a direct cable between the buildings. So yeah you a Site to Site VPN to connect them over the internet .
Help the community by marking issues as solved when they are!

If you need some help or just someone to bounce ideas off on a project, please send requests/details to:
consult@think-networks.com

View solution in original post

All Replies

That means you can use the USG to connect to a vpn service and route all traffic through it

Kudos: 241
Solutions: 77

Site to site implies a firewall to firewall setup between two specific private networks. The vpn client would connect you to a VPN service for internet traffic, not to a specific remote site.

Cain Tech Solutions | Hosted UniFi/UNMS | Other Services | Service Eastern NC and more!

Established Member
Kudos: 580
Solutions: 157

VPN Client - This allows you to connect to another network as a client of that network. This is usually used for remote users traveling or working from home and need connections to work systems. The USG however includes this so you can connect just the same.

Site to Site VPN - this connects you to another network but this is more used to connect 2 separate networks and have them behave as kinda one. This is more of a permanent connection say between smaller stores and the main HQ or between several buildings but not close enough to run a direct cable between the buildings. So yeah you a Site to Site VPN to connect them over the internet .
Help the community by marking issues as solved when they are!

If you need some help or just someone to bounce ideas off on a project, please send requests/details to:
consult@think-networks.com
Solutions: 1

Hi,

I got it!
Thank you!
Kudos: 369
Solutions: 7

@Think-Networks thanks! How do you use it in real life? Does all the trafic from the USG go through the VPN? Is it possible to specify only a particular LAN or one particuar computer to use that VPN ?

Kudos: 2

Can we setup the client VPN for a specific device rather than all network traffic? Some i want to go to the public internet and some via a vpn (probably based on IP address)

Any ideas peeps?

Kudos: 369
Solutions: 7

@simonplummer  Look at this post. That will let you set up a VLAN for the devices that needs to be routed via the VPN. 

Kudos: 2

Wow, thanks for that. I was hoping this would be possible via the GUI - i fear this may be beyond my capabilities! Man Happy

Kudos: 6

Quick Question - I have a USG3P for a remote office that will go from theater to theater, so I will always be behind a NAT.  Is the VPN Client what I want to use on it in order to connect to the main office (using a USG4P),  I know site-to-site won't work in this instance.  I assume I would need to setup a Remote User VPN on the 4P side of it?

Kudos: 1

Hello.

I'd like to revive this post, to explain my problem here.

The main objective here is to tunnel all traffic from my network thru an VPN.

Right now, the "VPN Client" feature only supports PPTP.

I know about this post but I don't think it works for me since I'm not using 2 USG's to accomplish that.

Here's my gear:

1 ADSL modem (bridged)

1 USG

1 Switch 8 60W

2 AP's

Here's what I want to do:

VPN the hell out of my network so every device is within the new VPN IP range (ex: Netflix broadcasting and other services like Spotify etc).

Of course, purchasing an VPN service is given, I've already tried two services so far: Witopia.net and VPNUnlimited. VPNUnlimited worked with PPTP, but Witopia didn't.

Question: Is UBNT working on a VPN Client that supports IPSec or similar, for a safer/more efficient VPN connection?

Highlighted

Same question here. Like to have all users in my network behind VPN. Now testing with North VPN. Can get it working for a single machine, just can't manage to get it working in my USG for the network.