Kudos: 8
Accepted Solution

VPN client - request to add VLAN tag + more protocols

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I would like to set-up an additional wifi network that is always connected to a VPN service such as ExpressVPN or HMA and so on.

The reason for this is to access VoIP, unlock regional Netflix content, add security layers, etc...

So I would switch from my regular wifi to my wifi-VPN, make a Skype or WhatsApp call, then when done revert back to my regular wifi.

To do this I would set up the PPTP VPN client on a certain VLAN and then create a new "wifi-VPN" tagged with the same VLAN.

Unfortunately the VLAN tag under VPN client is missing, so can someone please confirm if:

1- By adding the VLAN tag in "Network\VPN client" would solve this

2- How likely this to get implemented in the near future?

Additional request for the developers is to add support for more protocols such as L2TP and OpenVPN.

ps I've seen CLI options to make this work, but I'm not experienced enough to do that so waiting for the GUI option. 

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5420
Solutions: 346

Re: VPN client - request to add VLAN tag + more protocols

802.1Q (VLAN tags) cannot be used with VPNs, they aren't relevant in that context.

What you're wanting is policy routing. That and additional VPN client options are on the road map, but not the immediate future/currently in-progress list. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5420
Solutions: 346

802.1Q (VLAN tags) cannot be used with VPNs, they aren't relevant in that context.

What you're wanting is policy routing. That and additional VPN client options are on the road map, but not the immediate future/currently in-progress list. 

Thank you for taking the time to explain that to me!

Hope it will make it on that list soon Man Happy

Hello,

Has there been any update on when we could see this in the GUI for VPN client?