Very strange USG Problem

[ Edited ]

I have a very basic network setup

Cable Modem - Router - Switch - AP

Everyting works fine

I installed USG instead of the existing router

Connected and configured it, also updated everyting to the latest firmware

Ping to 8.8.8.8 or any other ip works fine

However whenever I try to browse to any internet page I gets redirected to cable provider page that say I need to pay my invoice Man Sad

Spoke with the provider - they have no idea what to do and why its happening

Connecting my old router solves the problem

Connecting a laptop directly to the modem solves it too

Any ideas ?

Accepted Solutions
Solutions: 1

Re: Very strange USG Problem

I was able to work normally with two different routers and with a laptop conneced directly to the modem so I was 99.9% sure its ISP problem

I spent hours with the ISP tech support

In the end I finally managed to find one guy that was probably a bit smarter compared to the rest and he told me its something he can fix and my problem was fixed in 5 mins

Still have no idea what was it and why only USG wasn't working, but at least its ok now

View solution in original post

All Replies
Kudos: 121
Solutions: 33

Restart your modem. That will release the lease on the public IP and renew it on your USG.

I wish it was so simple

Did it many times it dosn't help

The IP is ok I think since I can ping any IP without a problem

[ Edited ]

Hey, are you able to ping your ISP's GW?

I happened to encounter a werid issue with my USG as well yesterday around 1 PM local time.  My internet just died on me and I can't reach anything outside of it.  Digging a bit closer in to the issue I have received a lease from my ISP.  I can ping my WAN IP but that's about it.  Can't ping the DNS servers or the GW.

If you happen to have a spare router, try hook it up and see if that works better, it did for me and to add on complexity. When I connected my USG to the backup router, the USG started to work again. So I know that the USG works.  I'm just not sure if the ISP have some weird ban towards the USG or what the problem is as it stops working as soon as I make it primary.

[ Edited ]

Yes I can ping and I can also ping IPs on the internet including 8.8.8.8

I can also work fine with laptop directly connected to the router or with a different router

For some reason ISP "thinks" something is wrong and decides to block the browsing

I really can't understand whats the difference betwen USG and any other router that could cause this

Gotcha!

We don't seem to have the same issue but we probably need the same help to troubleshoot the issue so sorry for hijacking your thread a bit. :-)

I'd like to know what logs that would be useful to look in to for potential hints of what the issue might be. Especially if you suspect that the ISP might have something do with this.

I should probably raise my own thread for my issue.
Kudos: 5
Solutions: 2

The fact that it's getting redirected to the cable provider page kind of makes it seem like something in their system would be the culprit. Was the old router provided by them? It could be something where their system isn't allowing the USG for some reason. Possibly detecting it as some type of potential man in the middle.

That's a complete guess on my part and I don't know how far past the modem they are able to see. I'd maybe suggest trying to talk to their support again since the redirect is to a page on their server. Maybe you just had  a new/poor tech the first time?

Good Luck!

Highlighted

flash99 wrote:

I wish it was so simple

Did it many times it dosn't help

The IP is ok I think since I can ping any IP without a problem

What is your external IP? Is it something odd like 10.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x indicating you're not actually on the public side internet?

You can get this via SSH then issue:

show dhcp client leases

I was able to work normally with two different routers and with a laptop conneced directly to the modem so I was 99.9% sure its ISP problem

I spent hours with the ISP tech support

In the end I finally managed to find one guy that was probably a bit smarter compared to the rest and he told me its something he can fix and my problem was fixed in 5 mins

Still have no idea what was it and why only USG wasn't working, but at least its ok now

I'll bet the IP wasn't released and it was locking you out...or it was bound to the MAC of the old router and was looking for the same MAC to renew the IP.