Virgin Media superhub 3 and USG

Hi, I just purchased the USG to replace my asus router thats connected to my virgin media superhub 3 (in modem mode). I already have two unifi ap's to sort my wireless issues in my home so i decided to go for the USG as well.

Normally i would expect speeds of around 380mbps using the old asus router, but since i swapped to the USG im only getting around 200mbps?

Now virgin wont help me unless i return to the superhub as a router (which i refused to do). Im not usin IPS or DPI, has anyone else experienced speed loss? Is there some thing i need to enable or set up on the USG? 

Kudos: 53
Solutions: 5

Re: Virgin Media superhub 3 and USG

I'm fine at around 380mbit on the usg on a VM 350meg connection. It's not the USG.

I recently changed from the Superhub 3 after realising i could get the Buisness hitron router around the same price but faster, not only that I got the company to pay for my broadband aswell. The super hub would deleiver around or just over 200Mbps with my USG connected. The spare WAN\LAN port I configured so that i could connect my Vonage unit, which intern gave me my Voip. Although i work away a lot, i wanted to setup my camera's that i have outside my property. However since the install and having the static IP applied, my connection has now dropt to 181.1Mbps & 13.8Mbps. Anybody else having issues.

Kudos: 53
Solutions: 5

The superhub 3 and the hitron are basically the same router, they both use the same intel puma 6 chipset. They have the same capabilities and neither one is faster than the other.

The hitron supports GRE tunnels which virgin use to allocate static IPs. A common complaint however is that if you use the GRE tunnel (and have a static IP) you suffer significant performance issues.

VM residential IPs are so sticky they are basically static anyway.

I thought it was time to give you guy's an update just in case you are following this thread.

VM have just this minute today sent me an email "Notification of planned work" @ my property (11/06/2019 09:00).

I managed to test using web interfaces to test my broadband connection and it was rediculasly slow, not only that I had to call VM Business support who kept me online for over an hour. 

Anybody have any knowledge of a decent broadband speed tester \ monitor to be installed on either a PC or Mac...

Hi, I use www.speedtest.net, you can install it as an app on windows 10. Its probably the more accurate one out there. For some reason the speed tester on the unifi controller is totally out when it comes to testing, it always says i have about 210 mbps download when ive actually got nearer the 378mbps mark.

Im on the virgin vivid 350 and normally get speeds nearer 400mbps. I have recently upgraded to the new vivid500 which gives me 520mbps down and 35mbps up. thats due to go live some time today Man Happy

[ Edited ]

Cheers for that, just noticed it's downloadable for Mac users as well....Plus other options.
As not to get confused, VM Business have just sent me another email 10 mins apart. The first stating as follows:

Planned Ref: C01030867
Planned work start 10/06/2019 09:00 till 15:00
and
Planned Ref: C01031497
Planned work start 11/06/2019 09:00 till 15:00

Fun and games....

Confused5

3rd Email....

Planned Ref: C01032136
Planned work start 14/06/2019 09:00 till 15:00