Accepted Solution

WAN monitoring without enabling scheduled speed tests?

[ Edited ]

Is there another way to periodically log the status of an Internet connection through a cable modem without enabling the periodic speed tests? I don;t need to log performance - I only want to log when the cable network goes down and speedtest seems a waste of a lot of bandwidth to do this?

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 96
Solutions: 4

Re: WAN monitoring without enabling scheduled speed tests?

@phambleton 

Thinking about it more, you need to enable WAN2 in order to monitor, even if there is nothing connected to it.

Since the 5.8 branch, go to Settings, Networks and create a WAN2 if not already there.  Then under its Common Settings, check the box for Report Interface Events.

Notifications, Gateway Events still need to be enabled, too.  You will get reports of attempted failover/failback when WAN1 goes down even if there is nothing active on WAN2.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 5510
Solutions: 353

Split this from the original post since it has no relation to it. 

The latency monitor on the dashboard effectively does what you're looking for, it'll be 0 during periods where there is no Internet connectivity. 

@UBNT-cmb wrote:

The latency monitor on the dashboard effectively does what you're looking for, it'll be 0 during periods where there is no Internet connectivity. 

@phambleton Notifications are also available for Gateway events, and the system can email these.

The latency monitor doesn't do the job when traffic is low like overnight. Outages just don't show up in the graph. As for gateway events, if the cable modem is still powered up, the USG doesn't seem to notice that the service has gone missing. I've looked at the log file in the USG during a cable network outage and there is nothing there that shows evidence of the outage.

Established Member
Kudos: 305
Solutions: 80

It is supposed to look at next hop. This is due to the fact that if your cable modem was all it monitored, how the heck would it be able to do failover (WAN2)?

@phambleton wrote:

As for gateway events, if the cable modem is still powered up, the USG doesn't seem to notice that the service has gone missing.

I have experienced the same, but that was a long time ago.  Failover has been quite reliable for me the past several releases.  I believe the USG actually monitors ping.ubnt.com to determine connection status.

The difference in your case may be not having WAN2 configured as an actual failover, causing the USG not to monitor.

What model USG, and what SDN/FW releases?

You are all correct. When I first got the cable service, I plugged the old ADSL service (via a router in bridge mode) into WAN2 and enabled failover. It worked fine. Now that I have cancelled the ADSL service I have failover disabled. Ideally, I would like to get an event logged whenever the USG (or controller)  could not reach ping.ubnt.com or some other configurable site. The reason this has come up is that the cable network has become a bit unreliable and I would like a record of its failures.

@phambleton 

Thinking about it more, you need to enable WAN2 in order to monitor, even if there is nothing connected to it.

Since the 5.8 branch, go to Settings, Networks and create a WAN2 if not already there.  Then under its Common Settings, check the box for Report Interface Events.

Notifications, Gateway Events still need to be enabled, too.  You will get reports of attempted failover/failback when WAN1 goes down even if there is nothing active on WAN2.

USG 3P running 4.4.36.5146617 and Cloudkey running 5.10.17

I'm goung to try re-enabling failover although WAN2 is mot plugged into anything and see waht happens at the next WAN failure. Ironically, it's been rock solid since I first asked the question about monitoring.

Just unscrew the coax from back of cable modem to simulate.

I will have to wait until the rest of the users have left the house - they are very unsympathetic to any uncheduled outages!

Enabling failover and enabling WAN2 did the trick.

I get the messages "WAN iface eth0 transition to state inactive" when the cable network fails and "WAN iface eth0 transition to state active" when it comes back online.

Many thanks.

Awesome, glad it worked.