Kudos: 1

Which Edgerouter for VLAN over wireless bridge?

I have a client in the country (business "A")  who did not have internet access untill I hooked him up with a 6 km long link (using a couple of Nanobridge M5) from his business to a house in town with an 20Mb/s ADSL connection. Now another business (business "B") nearby wants to use the same backbone to obtain an internet connection too; although separated. Therefore there will be two ADSL connections at the house in town feeding into the one Nanobridge and being separated by using two VLANs and transmitting the 6 km to business "A". Here the "B" VLAN  will be retransmitted through a couple of NanoBeams to business "B".

My question is: Would an Edgerouter X be the best router to use at the house in town ( to feed the two ADSL connections into the Nanobridge).  Would I need another one at business "A" to split the "B" VLAN off into its next hop over the Nanobeams or could this be handled by the Nanobridge and retransmitting Nanobeam?

(If there is a better way, e.g. subnetting then I would be open to any suggestions) 

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2740
Solutions: 129

Re: Which Edgerouter for VLAN over wireless bridge?

A L2 switch with VLAN support is probably better suited for what you're after than a router, such as the ToughSwitch 5. But since you're not really going to be making much use of the PoE functionality it seems a bit overkill for the job price-wise.

The ER-X does use a switch chip, so you could use an ER-X as a switch in the same fashion, but the CLI currently doesn't allow it to be configured in such a manner that would be useful for your setup. It'll be great when ubnt extends the L2 switching capabilities on the EdgeRouter lines that have switch chips.

Kudos: 1

Thanks NVX. I assume that at the other end I could also use an L2 switch to 'split up' the VLANS to go to the respenctive businesses?

Established Member
Kudos: 747
Solutions: 121

[ Edited ]

At the ADSL end an EdgeRouter-X would be fine, although you'd only be using 3 of the ports.

For example if port eth1 is connected to ADSL modem 1 (configured in bridge mode) and eth2 is connected to ADSL modem 2, you could use any of the other three ports to connect to your PtP link. However, you'd not use eth0 but eth0.100 and eth0.200 to create the two virtual (VLAN) to create VLANs 100 and 200, which would both use the physical medium connected to eth0 (cable or wireless link).

The the far end, you'd feed the other end of the PtP link into a managed switch on a port defined as a trunk port with both VLAN100 and 200 tagged. The link to the next business would be connected to a port defined as an access port on which ever VLAN you've chosen for that business.

If pasting output, please use the code tags button ({i})!
Please help the community find useful posts and solutions by hitting the "Kudos" and "Accept as Solution" buttons!
Highlighted
Veteran Member
Kudos: 2740
Solutions: 129

@zolkron wrote:

Thanks NVX. I assume that at the other end I could also use an L2 switch to 'split up' the VLANS to go to the respenctive businesses?

Correct.