Kudos: 1

Why does USG firmware update fail unless it's cached.

Tried a couple of times to update USG to latest. Every time it didn't finish, and had to be re-booted to re-connect with the controller. Happens to a lot of people here.

Tried the online chat, and was told to cache the update first. I didn't think it would work, but it did.

So -

If the firmware process is known to be unstable, and the advice is to cached the update... Why doesn't the controller just cache all updates?

Established Member
Kudos: 1141
Solutions: 79

Re: Why does USG firmware update fail unless it's cached.

What is your internet speed? This has happened before, but I have a aweful WISP connection.

My internet speed is usually 100 MBPS. never have any problems downloading things.
Kudos: 99
Solutions: 17

My understanding is that the device will try to download it directly from UBNT unless your controller offers it, which it can only do if it's cached. The times when I've seen failures to upgrade firmware are when network issues (usually DNS) prevented the device from downloading the firmware from UBNT directly.

--

Klint

Primary Innovator at Sprocket Technology
UEWA | Contributor to Easy UBNTUFW Lockdown, Companion API | Host on Vultr

yes, that seems to be the behavior. But why would they design their updater to force the device into an unresponsive state after failing to resolve the DNS of the firmware? Why not just stop the update and leave the USG in a good state?
Kudos: 1118
Solutions: 303

For me it always works perfectly when updating directly, without caching first.

I think they just told you to cache it first to work around the problem that the USG could not resolve the download URL.

Kudos: 99
Solutions: 17

@robokitty wrote:
yes, that seems to be the behavior. But why would they design their updater to force the device into an unresponsive state after failing to resolve the DNS of the firmware? Why not just stop the update and leave the USG in a good state?

That's a good question. I don't recall if the times I've encountered this when it was a network download issue that the USG went unresponsive, it may have just not downloaded and stayed online at the old firmware. Maybe something else is going on to make it unresponsive?

--

Klint

Primary Innovator at Sprocket Technology
UEWA | Contributor to Easy UBNTUFW Lockdown, Companion API | Host on Vultr