×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
Description

I couldn't figure out how to cross-post, so I duplicated (also in video).  If someone can do that, this can be deleted.

This is an update to a previous story.  I moved, and seriously upgraded my home network to a full on 10G dual fiber Data Center.  The full story is on my wiki, but I took a spare 17'x11' room in the basement, UniFi'ed the crap out of it, added a bunch of power and AC, and below is the result.

It's a biggish house, and I wanted to go all out, no compromises with this build since this is our "forever" home.  I'm also going big into home automation, so I wanted a very reliable network with as many things on Ethernet as I could to free up WiFi spectrum.  I'm very pleased with the outcome, my WiFi is providing 400Mbps download speeds.

* Cincinnati Bell 1G down/250M up FTTH primary, 200M/6M Spectrum cable fail-over WAN

* XG-8 10G Router with full IPS/IDS enabled

* 4 XG-16 core switches, dual 10G SFP+ LAG uplinks

* 3 US-48 (1 750W POE, 1 48-L2-POE, 1 US-48) + 1 US-16 POE Distribution switches

* 8 US-8 (some POE, some powered by POE) local switches

* 6 UAP-AC-HD WiFi access points

* 1 UAS-XG UniFi and UVC server

* 5 UVC-Pro

* 4 UVC-G3 Cameras

* 5 UVC-Micro cameras

* 5 Ring Floodlight cameras

* 2 Ring Doorbell cameras

* 7 Sonos Connect Amp for audio

* 3 Tivo Bolt for TV

* 2 HD HomeRun for local TV

* 3 Dell rack mount severs (Proxmox and FreeNAS)

* 1 Rack mount Mac Mini server

* 7 VLAN

* All private services (web, email, wiki, Plex, NextCloud)

* Sonnet 10G copper NIC for local PCs

* Dual 10G fiber to 4 PC locations

* Cat6a cabling throughout (80 drops)

* 1.5 ton mini-split AC

* 6 1500VA CyberPower UPS 

Network_top.jpgNetwokring Top

Network_bottom.jpgNetworking Bottom

Server_top.jpgServer Top

Entertain_bottom.jpgEntertainment Bottom

Entertain_top.jpgEntertainment top

Server_bottom.jpgServer bottom

Rack_front.jpgFront of Racks

Wire_patch15.jpgCable trough

Door6.jpgEntrace to my lair

Cameras_status.jpgCamera StatusCameras_all.jpgUVC Cameras

My old setups

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Stories/UniFi-house-network-large-with-FTTH-Fioptics-USG-XG-US-8-and-UAP/cns-p/1801850

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Stories/Ubiquiti-Upgrades-for-my-Fioptics-Installation/cns-p/1705612

10G Home Data Center

by 3 weeks ago

I couldn't figure out how to cross-post, so I duplicated (also in video).  If someone can do that, this can be deleted.

This is an update to a previous story.  I moved, and seriously upgraded my home network to a full on 10G dual fiber Data Center.  The full story is on my wiki, but I took a spare 17'x11' room in the basement, UniFi'ed the crap out of it, added a bunch of power and AC, and below is the result.

It's a biggish house, and I wanted to go all out, no compromises with this build since this is our "forever" home.  I'm also going big into home automation, so I wanted a very reliable network with as many things on Ethernet as I could to free up WiFi spectrum.  I'm very pleased with the outcome, my WiFi is providing 400Mbps download speeds.

* Cincinnati Bell 1G down/250M up FTTH primary, 200M/6M Spectrum cable fail-over WAN

* XG-8 10G Router with full IPS/IDS enabled

* 4 XG-16 core switches, dual 10G SFP+ LAG uplinks

* 3 US-48 (1 750W POE, 1 48-L2-POE, 1 US-48) + 1 US-16 POE Distribution switches

* 8 US-8 (some POE, some powered by POE) local switches

* 6 UAP-AC-HD WiFi access points

* 1 UAS-XG UniFi and UVC server

* 5 UVC-Pro

* 4 UVC-G3 Cameras

* 5 UVC-Micro cameras

* 5 Ring Floodlight cameras

* 2 Ring Doorbell cameras

* 7 Sonos Connect Amp for audio

* 3 Tivo Bolt for TV

* 2 HD HomeRun for local TV

* 3 Dell rack mount severs (Proxmox and FreeNAS)

* 1 Rack mount Mac Mini server

* 7 VLAN

* All private services (web, email, wiki, Plex, NextCloud)

* Sonnet 10G copper NIC for local PCs

* Dual 10G fiber to 4 PC locations

* Cat6a cabling throughout (80 drops)

* 1.5 ton mini-split AC

* 6 1500VA CyberPower UPS 

Network_top.jpgNetwokring Top

Network_bottom.jpgNetworking Bottom

Server_top.jpgServer Top

Entertain_bottom.jpgEntertainment Bottom

Entertain_top.jpgEntertainment top

Server_bottom.jpgServer bottom

Rack_front.jpgFront of Racks

Wire_patch15.jpgCable trough

Door6.jpgEntrace to my lair

Cameras_status.jpgCamera StatusCameras_all.jpgUVC Cameras

My old setups

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Stories/UniFi-house-network-large-with-FTTH-Fioptics-USG-XG-US-8...

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Stories/Ubiquiti-Upgrades-for-my-Fioptics-Installation/cns-p/170...

{"location":{"title":"Glendale, OH 45246, USA","placeId":"ChIJ5ZpHE-BNQIgROs400sOI628"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-video-camera-g3","count":1},{"id":"unifi-video-g3-micro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-video-g3-pro-camera","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"192423i91AA3D85F80BE225"

{"location":{"title":"Glendale, OH 45246, USA","placeId":"ChIJ5ZpHE-BNQIgROs400sOI628"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-video-camer

{"location":{"title":"Glendale, OH 45246, USA","placeId":"ChIJ5ZpHE-BNQIgROs400sOI628"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"l2-managed-poe-gigabit-switch-with-sfp","count":1},{"id":"unifi-application-server","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway-xg","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-16-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-16-xg-beta","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-48","count":1},{"id":"unifiswitch-48-750w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-hd","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-beta","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"192426i2ED0A8D0118FD447"}

Comments
by
3 weeks ago

What kind of wattage does your data center pull?

by
3 weeks ago

Not sure yet overall.  I should get a Neurio or something, as I did put in a new subpanel to power it (including the AC mini split unit).  Each of my 4 servers has an Eve Energy, though, and seem to draw about 150W each, and the 48 port POE about 200W.

by
3 weeks ago

dang...thats some crazy setup. must be hella expensive.

nextcloud?? why you choose that over owncloud. just curious. owncloud is slow and thinking of switching .

by
3 weeks ago

Yea, it's a little pricey.

My understanding is the guys that started NextCloud left OwnCloud and started this up, and all the real development is over there now.  I could be wrong.

https://civihosting.com/blog/nextcloud-vs-owncloud/

https://serenity-networks.com/goodbye-owncloud-hello-nextcloud-the-aftermath-of-disrupting-open-sour...

by
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

I really want to setup one like yours .Mines smaller and servers and switch sitting on cost co shelfs.

I run share out my net to 11 other houses . Comcast fiber 

Just curious. How many devices online with such a monster setup like yours? 

10G isn't that a bit over kill if its just for your house ?

Screenshot_20190131-203259.pngScreenshot_20190131-203206.pngScreenshot_20190131-202833.png

by
2 weeks ago

Hats of to you my friend. A room like that in my house with the blue lights and "data center" on the door with never be wife approved in a million years lol.

by
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Bellows - Thanks, someone has to do it, like the shining city on a hill...

@cardins2u - Right now I have between 140-150 clients on the network at an "average" time.  I haven't finished my home automation though.  10G might be a bit overkill for my current needs, but I figured it this way.  I wanted to have really good throughput between my servers and my desktops as I fill out my Plex library, and this let's me copy an HD movie in about 1-3 minutes instead of 15.  It also allowed me to learn about fiber and SFP+, which I have some responsibility for at work but don't get to really "do", so that's a plus.  Also, I needed to make sure the core network can handle the traffice.  I have 16 HD cameras on my network, and although I put them in their own VLAN (to the NVR), for me to access them they have to talk to another VLAN, and in UBNT gear that means it has to go to the router, so I wanted to leave plenty of overhead for the other traffic.  Plus, I plan on living here for a long time, so I was trying to future proof.  I ran OM4, which can do 40/100G later.

clients.jpg150 clients typical

by
2 weeks ago

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this.  I'm an overkill at home type of guy, especially since I do ISP scale networks as my day job.  Seeing this gives me something to look forward to doing in my next house which will be our "forever" home.

I'm glad you posted the client page within the controller.  This actually has led me to reevaluate the naming on mine.  Just curious to if you have made any sort of Visio diagram or how it may be documented for reference?

by
2 weeks ago

Yes, I do!  Let me santize it just a bit and I'll come back and post it

by
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Outstanding!  I just adopted your camera naming scheme on my home as well as my grandparents' and parents' homes.  Absolutely helped get those in a proper order.

All or my clients are named similar to yours although by category, then manufacturer, model, etc.

I have a half finished drawing that I never finished. Somehow I work in Visio every single day designing networks and when it came time it do my own I just procrastinate. I've got my popcorn ready for when you post yours. 

I'm also showing the wife that the next home also needs a proper data center room and not this 12u rack I have beside my desk holding our networking gear and server.