06/14/2018
2 Years Later - Marina WiFi Project Completed (Nearly)
Used Products
×1
×1
800 Scallop Drive, Port Canaveral, FL, USA
Description

I am finally nearing completion of my whole marina Wi-Fi project. Mostly delayed do to hurricane Mathew and Irma. This project is made up of entirely mesh units. If you want to see my early concepts you can check out my original story here: UniFi Story

After having fiber and media converters installed to each initial mesh at the start of the dock, each unit us linked via the secondary Ethernet port going to a gigabit POE injector in the next units junction box. If the secondary cable link fails, they will automatically mesh around the unit. I get the best of both wire and mesh in the same unit! Due to interference in the area, I have more APs then usual, mostly so devices like cellphones signals can reach the APs after passing through steel and fiber glass hulls. I average standard AC speeds as expected but guests are limited to 5/5 per device. Overall, I am happy on how this project turned out.

I have attached new pictures with an overview of the project near completion. Enjoy the eye candy.

IMG_0150.jpgStandard Beacon with Life Ring

IMG_0173.JPGMarina Overview

IMG_0475.jpgDock View

IMG_0476.jpgDock View Magnifed

Capture.PNGUniFi Controller Map

2 Years Later - Marina WiFi Project Completed (Nearly)

by ‎06-14-2018 02:03 PM - edited ‎06-14-2018 02:05 PM

I am finally nearing completion of my whole marina Wi-Fi project. Mostly delayed do to hurricane Mathew and Irma. This project is made up of entirely mesh units. If you want to see my early concepts you can check out my original story here: UniFi Story

After having fiber and media converters installed to each initial mesh at the start of the dock, each unit us linked via the secondary Ethernet port going to a gigabit POE injector in the next units junction box. If the secondary cable link fails, they will automatically mesh around the unit. I get the best of both wire and mesh in the same unit! Due to interference in the area, I have more APs then usual, mostly so devices like cellphones signals can reach the APs after passing through steel and fiber glass hulls. I average standard AC speeds as expected but guests are limited to 5/5 per device. Overall, I am happy on how this project turned out.

I have attached new pictures with an overview of the project near completion. Enjoy the eye candy.

IMG_0150.jpgStandard Beacon with Life Ring

IMG_0173.JPGMarina Overview

IMG_0475.jpgDock View

IMG_0476.jpgDock View Magnifed

Capture.PNGUniFi Controller Map

{"location":{"title":"800 Scallop Drive, Port Canaveral, FL, USA","placeId":"ChIJcxMurCim4IgR6EpSO0L7m1c"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-pro-ap-beta","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"161378i3A5F8E06BC61FDF6"}

-Works with UniFi Wireless & UniFi Video & EdgeMax, AirMax AC and AirFiber for ISP-
UniFi Wireless Products Owned:
USG-4, USW-16,24,48 POE, UAP, UAP-AC-Lite, UAP-Outdoor+, UAP-AC-Mesh + Pro
Current UniFi Video Products Owned: All Gen 2 and Gen 3 Products
EdgeMax Products Owned: ER-8Pro, ER-5 POE, ER-Infinity
Comments
by
on ‎06-18-2018 06:08 PM

Look's good. Are you worried about something stealing a Mesh? They appear to at around head height.

by
on ‎06-18-2018 06:30 PM

@Dave-N

They are at head height, I have not had much worry about them being stolen.

1. The community wants their WiFi so if someone was caught trying to steal it they would be almost immediately reported as soon as one cable was disconnected.

2. We are a closed community, so everyone RFID badges in and every Dock is equipped with UniFi Video surveillance. It would not take more then 30 minutes to figure out who stole it. Overall, Its really thanks to the scalability and cost of UniFi Video, people don’t even know how much we see.

by Ubiquiti Employee
a month ago

Hi @CapeIT

This is Awesome to see and thanks for the update.

Thanks,

by
2 weeks ago

Beautiful deployment, love the fiber, nice work Man Happy

-Jamie M.