02/10/2018
All I needed was a new Router....
Reason for Installation
1 x EdgeRouter X SFP 1 x UniFi AC Pro Access Point 1 x UniFi AC Mesh Access Point 1 x UniFi Switch 8 150W 5 x UniFi G3 Cameras 2 x Ubiquiti SFP Ports 1 x UniFi 2TB NVR
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
Description

All I needed was a new Router!

My poor old Billion Router was failing miserably, it needed constant restarts and resets, and now considering we have Fiber to the Premises with unlimited data and the top speed our ISP provides, well, our Internet should be flying!

But the Billion could not keep up, anything more than 1 or 2 things running on the Network and it suddenly slowed to a crawl and became almost unusable, so a new Router had to be found, after my reading and investigating I decided on a new EdgeRouter X SFP, Router purchased, installed and with some help from the Ubiquiti community forums I had it setup and running.

We were so happy with it's performance! we could now extract the full performance from our connection, streaming, uploading, downloading, it all became so fast!

Click on a Netflix movie or a Youtube video and within seconds we it was running in HD, no buffering, just click and go!

But thats how it starts...

One new Ubiquiti item was not enough!

I became really good friends with the local Courier Driver, I was seeing him every couple of days as a new box of Toys arrived!

IMG_0133.jpgFirst things to go were my 2 Apple Airports access points, I installed an AC Pro for my home and a AC Mesh outside to provide Internet to a family members home next door, the family member next door is close to retirement age and doesn't use a lot of data, so didn't want the expense and hassle of setting up a contract with a Service Provider for for only a few hundred Megabytes per month, I had been using an Apple Express to extend our network over the fence to give her internet, but it was patchy and unreliable, I installed the Mesh unit on one of our exteriour walls at the closest point between the 2 houses, the Mesh unit now gives her a great signal all over her house and she doesn't have the hassle of worrying about her Network and figuring out all that "Interweb stuff" Lol

IMG_0188.jpg

The Pro Access Point also acts as a handy night light with it's gentle blue glow lighting up the hallway at night. CoolgleamA 

IMG_0135.jpg

But of course the obsession didn't stop there, we always wanted some security cameras, so next thing a 5 pack of Cameras was on it's way to me, So I suppose I'll need a way to get them wired in and running, well I had better get a 150 watt 8 way Switch, and yep, some SFP ports and Fiber optic cable should probably be thrown into the delivery, oh and I'm going to need a NVR for those Cameras, better put a 2TB NVR in the Box also!IMG_0136.jpg

Now to wire all of this stuff in! Another delivery Mad2

(I'm now seeing my delivery driver almost daily, I think my wife is getting suspicious of our constant meetings!)

All of my Etherent cables are upgraded and replaced from the assorted mess of sizes, specs and mismatched colours, all good quality and all colour coded so I know at a glance what a Cable is being used for anywhere in the house. The guys installing the original NBN box for the Fiber optic cable decided to install it in our Garage, not the best location but I can work with it, thankfully this gives me a easy access point to run cables up into the ceiling and throughout the house, all the equipment is wall mounted and during Summer gets a gentle cool breeze to keep heat under control.

The entire system is working above and beyond our expectations! Ubnt Banana

Also a big thankyou to Chris from Crosstalk solutions, his YouTube videos are an excellent guide and very educational.

EDIT:

I should also add Ubiquiti Forum member and Whirlpool Forum member D-M-Z was also a great help and offered some great advice, thankyou. Thumbsup

All I needed was a new Router....

by ‎02-10-2018 10:45 PM - edited ‎02-19-2018 11:25 AM

All I needed was a new Router!

My poor old Billion Router was failing miserably, it needed constant restarts and resets, and now considering we have Fiber to the Premises with unlimited data and the top speed our ISP provides, well, our Internet should be flying!

But the Billion could not keep up, anything more than 1 or 2 things running on the Network and it suddenly slowed to a crawl and became almost unusable, so a new Router had to be found, after my reading and investigating I decided on a new EdgeRouter X SFP, Router purchased, installed and with some help from the Ubiquiti community forums I had it setup and running.

We were so happy with it's performance! we could now extract the full performance from our connection, streaming, uploading, downloading, it all became so fast!

Click on a Netflix movie or a Youtube video and within seconds we it was running in HD, no buffering, just click and go!

But thats how it starts...

One new Ubiquiti item was not enough!

I became really good friends with the local Courier Driver, I was seeing him every couple of days as a new box of Toys arrived!

IMG_0133.jpgFirst things to go were my 2 Apple Airports access points, I installed an AC Pro for my home and a AC Mesh outside to provide Internet to a family members home next door, the family member next door is close to retirement age and doesn't use a lot of data, so didn't want the expense and hassle of setting up a contract with a Service Provider for for only a few hundred Megabytes per month, I had been using an Apple Express to extend our network over the fence to give her internet, but it was patchy and unreliable, I installed the Mesh unit on one of our exteriour walls at the closest point between the 2 houses, the Mesh unit now gives her a great signal all over her house and she doesn't have the hassle of worrying about her Network and figuring out all that "Interweb stuff" Lol

IMG_0188.jpg

The Pro Access Point also acts as a handy night light with it's gentle blue glow lighting up the hallway at night. CoolgleamA 

IMG_0135.jpg

But of course the obsession didn't stop there, we always wanted some security cameras, so next thing a 5 pack of Cameras was on it's way to me, So I suppose I'll need a way to get them wired in and running, well I had better get a 150 watt 8 way Switch, and yep, some SFP ports and Fiber optic cable should probably be thrown into the delivery, oh and I'm going to need a NVR for those Cameras, better put a 2TB NVR in the Box also!IMG_0136.jpg

Now to wire all of this stuff in! Another delivery Mad2

(I'm now seeing my delivery driver almost daily, I think my wife is getting suspicious of our constant meetings!)

All of my Etherent cables are upgraded and replaced from the assorted mess of sizes, specs and mismatched colours, all good quality and all colour coded so I know at a glance what a Cable is being used for anywhere in the house. The guys installing the original NBN box for the Fiber optic cable decided to install it in our Garage, not the best location but I can work with it, thankfully this gives me a easy access point to run cables up into the ceiling and throughout the house, all the equipment is wall mounted and during Summer gets a gentle cool breeze to keep heat under control.

The entire system is working above and beyond our expectations! Ubnt Banana

Also a big thankyou to Chris from Crosstalk solutions, his YouTube videos are an excellent guide and very educational.

EDIT:

I should also add Ubiquiti Forum member and Whirlpool Forum member D-M-Z was also a great help and offered some great advice, thankyou. Thumbsup

{"location":{"title":"Launceston TAS, Australia","placeId":"ChIJXf2ELuGmcKoRkBne0E3JAwU"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"1 x EdgeRouter X SFP\n1 x UniFi AC Pro Access Point\n1 x UniFi AC Mesh Access Point\n1 x UniFi Switch 8 150W\n5 x UniFi G3 Cameras\n2 x Ubiquiti SFP Ports\n1 x UniFi 2TB NVR","mainImage":"142511iC2CA4B2E707000AD"}

Comments
by
on ‎02-11-2018 03:57 PM

Great little write up.

Just bought a house in Brisbane with FTTN so will be doing something similar to you soon.Only difference I will have is that I will be sticking with a USG instead of the ER but mainly because I like my fancy dashboards!! Biggest hassle will be the cabling and trying not to go overboard.

Love watching Chris's videos and also Willie Howe's too. Between those two, I can get pretty much every Ubiquiti device configured how I want it!

by
on ‎02-12-2018 11:15 AM

Not sure if it's just the reflection, but did you remove the plastic film covering the IR leds?

by
on ‎02-12-2018 12:17 PM
Hello fs483, yep, I removed the film during the adoption stage, but just to be sure I went and checked again. No film on that camera that I can see. Man Happy
by
on ‎02-17-2018 06:22 PM

@fs483 was just gonna say the same thing! must be a trick of light in the lense when he took the pic! looks liek a neat setup be sure to add more as your install grows! its always cool to see new adopters making huge strides like this. the passion shown when someone new discovers how amazing all of this is... its wonderful to see Man Happy Keep up the great work

by
‎02-19-2018 11:17 AM - edited ‎03-07-2018 03:38 PM

Thanks Webnetvn, I'm enjoying messing around with everything, learning more all the time.

To follow up on the Cameras. 

We weren't 100% sure we would ever see much with the Cameras, but within a matter of days of the install being complete we caught some local kids planning there next attack on a local garden, our family members garden next door.

We have had a problem in the local area with 3 or 4 kids during the summer school holidays (7 weeks) getting bored and getting up to mischief, they don't seem to be stealing or breaking into peoples homes, just going into the yards and destroying gardens, ornaments and yard furniture, well the family member who lives next door to us has spent considerable hours and money setting up a magnificent garden, little didi these kid realise I had setup 2 Cameras to watch over her house (She asked me a few months ago about getting cameras for her house because she was worried about the kids getting into her yard, this way her house is being watched constantly and she doesn't have to worry about running or maintaining the camera system.)

We caught the kids on the 2 cameras, going into her yard, it looked like they were planning there next attack, pointing things out, kicking a few trees, no real damage, it just looked like a scouting run.

Perfect HD video of the little darlings in action, footage saved, the neighbour went visiting some parents in the last few days, at first the parents don't believe it's there kids, but when the printouts come out of the kids being where they shouldn't be, well, let's just say the looks on the parents faces is priceless! (I went along with her as a bodyguard/backup/witness) 

We are so happy with the performance of the system we have decided to add 2 more Camera's into the mix, the UniFi video system isn't perfect, but bang for the buck it is better than we hoped, and in this case it has now saved another local Garden from being smashed up and destroyed,

by
on ‎02-19-2018 05:04 PM

Very nice, almost exactly what my plans are.  I especially like the use of the fiber, just cool and saves a few rj45 ports.  Was it difficult to get erx-sfp talking to the switch over fiber?

by
‎02-19-2018 06:22 PM - edited ‎02-19-2018 06:29 PM

Hello rif314

All I had to do was connect ETH5 to the Switch in the "Switch Interfaces" menu for Switch 0 (in the EdgeRouter X SFP) and off it went, it took me a little while to figure it out but once the ETH5 was connected and the Router rebooted the SFP ports on the Switch changed to Uplink and it's been happy ever since.

The only other thing I will add is the US-8-150W Switch runs quite warm (I have read quite a few topics discussing how hot it can run) I have mounted it so the vents are all facing up to allow the heat to rise and get away from the Switch, I also put some spacers under the mounting brackets to allow more airflow under the switch, so it's sits about a quarter inch away from the Timber wall mounting panel than it normally would, it could just be my imagination but it certainly feels to be running a little cooler.

by
on ‎02-27-2018 03:58 AM

Congrats on the great home use.  I fully understand the concept of "One new Ubiquiti item was not enough!"  Around here, Ubiquiti has gone viral with different Ubiquiti devices appearing just about every week.  As my wife says "the glowing flying saucers are everywhere"!

As a beekeeper, I placed a couple of LiteBeams in our beeyard (in the far backyard) to transmit video from our bee cam which we occasionally stream to FaceBook.

Keep up the fun!

Gary

by
on ‎03-04-2018 06:51 AM

How many ISP connections terminated onto the ER, please? Thanks.

by
on ‎03-05-2018 01:47 AM

Just the one into ETH 0, The orange ethernet cable comes in from the NBN NTD (FTTP) 

The NBN box is mounted down quite low on the wall (about knee height) the Router and Switch are mounted at head height up out of the way and further into the garage.