02/10/2018
All I needed was a new Router....
Reason for Installation
1 x EdgeRouter X SFP 1 x UniFi AC Pro Access Point 1 x UniFi AC Mesh Access Point 1 x UniFi Switch 8 150W 5 x UniFi G3 Cameras 2 x Ubiquiti SFP Ports 1 x UniFi 2TB NVR
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
Description

All I needed was a new Router!

My poor old Billion Router was failing miserably, it needed constant restarts and resets, and now considering we have Fiber to the Premises with unlimited data and the top speed our ISP provides, well, our Internet should be flying!

But the Billion could not keep up, anything more than 1 or 2 things running on the Network and it suddenly slowed to a crawl and became almost unusable, so a new Router had to be found, after my reading and investigating I decided on a new EdgeRouter X SFP, Router purchased, installed and with some help from the Ubiquiti community forums I had it setup and running.

We were so happy with it's performance! we could now extract the full performance from our connection, streaming, uploading, downloading, it all became so fast!

Click on a Netflix movie or a Youtube video and within seconds we it was running in HD, no buffering, just click and go!

But thats how it starts...

One new Ubiquiti item was not enough!

I became really good friends with the local Courier Driver, I was seeing him every couple of days as a new box of Toys arrived!

IMG_0133.jpgFirst things to go were my 2 Apple Airports access points, I installed an AC Pro for my home and a AC Mesh outside to provide Internet to a family members home next door, the family member next door is close to retirement age and doesn't use a lot of data, so didn't want the expense and hassle of setting up a contract with a Service Provider for for only a few hundred Megabytes per month, I had been using an Apple Express to extend our network over the fence to give her internet, but it was patchy and unreliable, I installed the Mesh unit on one of our exteriour walls at the closest point between the 2 houses, the Mesh unit now gives her a great signal all over her house and she doesn't have the hassle of worrying about her Network and figuring out all that "Interweb stuff" Lol

IMG_0188.jpg

The Pro Access Point also acts as a handy night light with it's gentle blue glow lighting up the hallway at night. CoolgleamA 

IMG_0135.jpg

But of course the obsession didn't stop there, we always wanted some security cameras, so next thing a 5 pack of Cameras was on it's way to me, So I suppose I'll need a way to get them wired in and running, well I had better get a 150 watt 8 way Switch, and yep, some SFP ports and Fiber optic cable should probably be thrown into the delivery, oh and I'm going to need a NVR for those Cameras, better put a 2TB NVR in the Box also!IMG_0136.jpg

Now to wire all of this stuff in! Another delivery Mad2

(I'm now seeing my delivery driver almost daily, I think my wife is getting suspicious of our constant meetings!)

All of my Etherent cables are upgraded and replaced from the assorted mess of sizes, specs and mismatched colours, all good quality and all colour coded so I know at a glance what a Cable is being used for anywhere in the house. The guys installing the original NBN box for the Fiber optic cable decided to install it in our Garage, not the best location but I can work with it, thankfully this gives me a easy access point to run cables up into the ceiling and throughout the house, all the equipment is wall mounted and during Summer gets a gentle cool breeze to keep heat under control.

The entire system is working above and beyond our expectations! Ubnt Banana

Also a big thankyou to Chris from Crosstalk solutions, his YouTube videos are an excellent guide and very educational.

EDIT:

I should also add Ubiquiti Forum member and Whirlpool Forum member D-M-Z was also a great help and offered some great advice, thankyou. Thumbsup

All I needed was a new Router....

by ‎02-10-2018 10:45 PM - edited ‎02-19-2018 11:25 AM

All I needed was a new Router!

My poor old Billion Router was failing miserably, it needed constant restarts and resets, and now considering we have Fiber to the Premises with unlimited data and the top speed our ISP provides, well, our Internet should be flying!

But the Billion could not keep up, anything more than 1 or 2 things running on the Network and it suddenly slowed to a crawl and became almost unusable, so a new Router had to be found, after my reading and investigating I decided on a new EdgeRouter X SFP, Router purchased, installed and with some help from the Ubiquiti community forums I had it setup and running.

We were so happy with it's performance! we could now extract the full performance from our connection, streaming, uploading, downloading, it all became so fast!

Click on a Netflix movie or a Youtube video and within seconds we it was running in HD, no buffering, just click and go!

But thats how it starts...

One new Ubiquiti item was not enough!

I became really good friends with the local Courier Driver, I was seeing him every couple of days as a new box of Toys arrived!

IMG_0133.jpgFirst things to go were my 2 Apple Airports access points, I installed an AC Pro for my home and a AC Mesh outside to provide Internet to a family members home next door, the family member next door is close to retirement age and doesn't use a lot of data, so didn't want the expense and hassle of setting up a contract with a Service Provider for for only a few hundred Megabytes per month, I had been using an Apple Express to extend our network over the fence to give her internet, but it was patchy and unreliable, I installed the Mesh unit on one of our exteriour walls at the closest point between the 2 houses, the Mesh unit now gives her a great signal all over her house and she doesn't have the hassle of worrying about her Network and figuring out all that "Interweb stuff" Lol

IMG_0188.jpg

The Pro Access Point also acts as a handy night light with it's gentle blue glow lighting up the hallway at night. CoolgleamA 

IMG_0135.jpg

But of course the obsession didn't stop there, we always wanted some security cameras, so next thing a 5 pack of Cameras was on it's way to me, So I suppose I'll need a way to get them wired in and running, well I had better get a 150 watt 8 way Switch, and yep, some SFP ports and Fiber optic cable should probably be thrown into the delivery, oh and I'm going to need a NVR for those Cameras, better put a 2TB NVR in the Box also!IMG_0136.jpg

Now to wire all of this stuff in! Another delivery Mad2

(I'm now seeing my delivery driver almost daily, I think my wife is getting suspicious of our constant meetings!)

All of my Etherent cables are upgraded and replaced from the assorted mess of sizes, specs and mismatched colours, all good quality and all colour coded so I know at a glance what a Cable is being used for anywhere in the house. The guys installing the original NBN box for the Fiber optic cable decided to install it in our Garage, not the best location but I can work with it, thankfully this gives me a easy access point to run cables up into the ceiling and throughout the house, all the equipment is wall mounted and during Summer gets a gentle cool breeze to keep heat under control.

The entire system is working above and beyond our expectations! Ubnt Banana

Also a big thankyou to Chris from Crosstalk solutions, his YouTube videos are an excellent guide and very educational.

EDIT:

I should also add Ubiquiti Forum member and Whirlpool Forum member D-M-Z was also a great help and offered some great advice, thankyou. Thumbsup

{"location":{"title":"Launceston TAS, Australia","placeId":"ChIJXf2ELuGmcKoRkBne0E3JAwU"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"1 x EdgeRouter X SFP\n1 x UniFi AC Pro Access Point\n1 x UniFi AC Mesh Access Point\n1 x UniFi Switch 8 150W\n5 x UniFi G3 Cameras\n2 x Ubiquiti SFP Ports\n1 x UniFi 2TB NVR","mainImage":"142511iC2CA4B2E707000AD"}

Comments
by
on ‎03-05-2018 04:18 AM

Thank you for the reply. Best Regards!

by
‎04-24-2018 12:23 PM - edited ‎04-24-2018 12:24 PM

Great bedtime reading @SpankyMK, thank you! Neat install and great write-up. I see things have changed around here with a cool new story layout. Time for me to post a few stories...it’s been too long!

by
on ‎04-24-2018 12:30 PM

Thankyou Butterworth, I'm about to add to the system again, so another update soon.