Apartment Network
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
×1
Description

Hello All,

I am currently renting a 500 Sq. Ft. Apartment. I watched a Linus Tech Tips video a while back where Luke set up his renters solution on a piece of MDF and I followed suit as I wanted the setup to be (relatively) clean and movable when I move out of this apartment and into a larger one. On that note pardon the mess, only so much you can do with a shared 500 Sq. Ft. 2 Bedroom.

20190110_183819.jpg

20190110_184609.jpg20190110_184632.jpg

20190110_183812.jpg

A USG3 handles my 100/15 coax connection (not pictured, it is mounted directly to the wall behind my solution as I do not own it) just fine (I haven’t set up IPS yet, been waiting on getting a controller that runs 24/7).

A US-8-60W handles POE for my Cloud Key Gen 1, and AP. When my roommate and I get a larger apartment this upcoming summer I will likely add a US-24 to the mix. Hopefully moving my system into a rack.

UAP-AC-Lite provides far better wi-fi then I need for such a small area with my connection.

I ordered a Cloud Key Gen 1 that will be in tommorrow, I have the 3D printed mount as a placeholder until then. (Found on thingiverse and printed thanks to my gracious boss who has his personal printer at the office). I thought about going with a Pi based controller or Gen 2 but as the whole system is on a UPS and the Gen 2+ doesn’t yet have multiple VLAN support (not that I have cameras and a security VLAN yet, hopefully soon however) I was happy to use some amazon gift cards on the Gen 1.

Also pictured is a western digital 3TB NAS and a Wink Hub 2 for my smart home devices.

I currently have 4 networks running, Management, Full Access Data, Guest, and IOT.

Typical clients: 2-5 Computers, XBOX One, 5 Google Home/Chromecast’s, Handful of Cellphones

While I have stumbled in a couple places with configuration that went beyond what I knew (I’m overzealous) I have been nothing but pleased with this hardware.

Eventually my parents will hopefully get a better connection than the 4/0.5 Mb connection they have and I will 100% Install a full Unifi System for them.

To Do’s:

Remote User VPN

IPS

Dream To Do’s once I move into a house:

USG-4 with a 400/40 connection

US-24-250W

Ubiquiti Cameras, NVR, Security VLAN

Additional UAP-AC-PROs or LRs

Apartment Network

by ‎01-10-2019 03:49 PM - edited ‎01-11-2019 09:08 AM

Hello All,

I am currently renting a 500 Sq. Ft. Apartment. I watched a Linus Tech Tips video a while back where Luke set up his renters solution on a piece of MDF and I followed suit as I wanted the setup to be (relatively) clean and movable when I move out of this apartment and into a larger one. On that note pardon the mess, only so much you can do with a shared 500 Sq. Ft. 2 Bedroom.

20190110_183819.jpg

20190110_184609.jpg20190110_184632.jpg

20190110_183812.jpg

A USG3 handles my 100/15 coax connection (not pictured, it is mounted directly to the wall behind my solution as I do not own it) just fine (I haven’t set up IPS yet, been waiting on getting a controller that runs 24/7).

A US-8-60W handles POE for my Cloud Key Gen 1, and AP. When my roommate and I get a larger apartment this upcoming summer I will likely add a US-24 to the mix. Hopefully moving my system into a rack.

UAP-AC-Lite provides far better wi-fi then I need for such a small area with my connection.

I ordered a Cloud Key Gen 1 that will be in tommorrow, I have the 3D printed mount as a placeholder until then. (Found on thingiverse and printed thanks to my gracious boss who has his personal printer at the office). I thought about going with a Pi based controller or Gen 2 but as the whole system is on a UPS and the Gen 2+ doesn’t yet have multiple VLAN support (not that I have cameras and a security VLAN yet, hopefully soon however) I was happy to use some amazon gift cards on the Gen 1.

Also pictured is a western digital 3TB NAS and a Wink Hub 2 for my smart home devices.

I currently have 4 networks running, Management, Full Access Data, Guest, and IOT.

Typical clients: 2-5 Computers, XBOX One, 5 Google Home/Chromecast’s, Handful of Cellphones

While I have stumbled in a couple places with configuration that went beyond what I knew (I’m overzealous) I have been nothing but pleased with this hardware.

Eventually my parents will hopefully get a better connection than the 4/0.5 Mb connection they have and I will 100% Install a full Unifi System for them.

To Do’s:

Remote User VPN

IPS

Dream To Do’s once I move into a house:

USG-4 with a 400/40 connection

US-24-250W

Ubiquiti Cameras, NVR, Security VLAN

Additional UAP-AC-PROs or LRs

{"location":{"title":"Portland, ME, USA","placeId":"ChIJLe6wqnKcskwRKfpyM7W2nX4"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-lite","count":1},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"189266iA22E7F101353BFB7"}

Comments
by
‎01-11-2019 05:22 PM - edited ‎01-11-2019 05:23 PM

Great setup for what you can do in that space! You really seem to be on a good pace for a fantastic network when you get a house! I wish I had a 3D printer, I would do the same type of things. That looks like a great little cradle for the CK Gen 1. I think I would go crazy in that small space though! Man Tongue

by
on ‎01-12-2019 09:55 AM

It certainly is a small space! Comming from dorm and similar style apartments I am used to it thankfuly, but I am hoping to not be used to it for much longer! 

The cloud key mount can be found here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3297801 I was very happy to find one that did not makew me use 3M style tape to mount it!.

by
3 weeks ago
I know iyou said WiFi performance is good but you may try putting the WAP horizontal. The UniFi WAPs do not provide good coverage when vertical.
by
3 weeks ago

I primarily set it up like that due to space restraints. The furthest I am ever away from it is like 15 feet through a single wall where I still get upwords of 120mb, so I cant complain about coverage currently, but once I am in a bigger space I plan to set it up horizontal.

by
3 weeks ago

One thing to note on your wish for the USG 4 and 400/40 internet. With the USG 4 and IPS/IDS enabled, you are limited to about 80 Mbps DL, and with the USG 4 Pro, around 250 Mbps. Not the end of the world, but if theres an internet package more inline with the hardwares limitations, no point in over spending on something you can't use, or look at an alternative to the USG to make use of the higher bandwidth. 

Overall, kudos to your set up in such confined quarters. Its a very clean set up.

by
3 weeks ago

Nice job.  Clean and efficient.

It looks like you have WD backup drive.  How did you mount it on the wall like that?  Looks great; mine is on a shelf.

Also, never knew about the horizontal.  I have 4 AP-HDs and 2 AP-AC-PROs ... all mounted veritcally ... don't have a problem, but would've been good to know BEFORE I did all the work :-(

by
3 weeks ago

The IPS isnt a NECESSITY for me but its something that I would like to have, Sadly I only have the options of 100, 400 or 980 mb via COAX in my location so if I were to upgrade either or both the USG and the Speeds Id have to accept the 150mb hit or not do it at all.

fteti Thanks! its a bit jank in places but its clean enough for my needs at the moment. the WD is mounted with the same screws I have used for everything else. I basically just made pinch points all around it locking it into place. There are a couple screws on the bottom lip just like the top one. Its not the ideal mounting solution but its cheap, reliable and easy to remove later on without having caused any harm, so it passes my standards for my personal gear. 

by
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

I second what others have posted about AP horizontal would be better. However I would have to counter the hit for IPS comment. My ISP connection is cable with 500/50 Mbps and I have. USG-Pro4 with IPS Enabled with most categories enabled (way more than default). Latest firmware updates have majorly improved the performance. I see a very minimal to no hit at all for IPS nor Smart Queues for that matter.

I hit consistent 460-510 range for downloads depending on my network load at the time of the test. For uploads I use Smart Queues capped at 40mbps (80% of my capcity of 50) and its normally 36-40 for uploads.

My network details:

• 9 Unifi devices **1 is virtual but still counts :-)
    • Controller (Ubuntu 16.04.4 VM): 5.10.11 | USG4P: 4.4.37dev | 1 x US-24-250w | 1 x US-8-150w | 1 x US-8-60w: 4.0.21 | 4x UAP-AC-Pro-US: 4.0.21
  • ~ 60 clients (40 wlan/ 20 lan)
    • Multiple Desktop PC's, Windows laptops, Chromebooks, Android Tablets, Android phones,  Dell R710 server with multiple VMs (pi-hole, plex media server, open vpn gateway client, web server to name a few), Google Homes, Amazon Echos (mix of Gen1 Echos and Gen2 Dots), Chromecasts Gen2, Chromecast Audios, FireTV's, Harmony Hubs, Wink Smart Home hubs (most of my smart home devices like door locks, light switches, door sensors, window sensors, motion sensors, temp sensors, sirens are all Z-wave/zigbee controlled via the hubs), Wink Relays (basically wall mounted Android tablets running Wink Smart home app) multiple wireless cameras and NVR, Sprinkler controller, thermostat, energy bridge, Gaming consoles (PS3, PS4 etc.), networked audio receivers, Garage door controllers (Nexx Garage and Chamberlain MyQ), Rasberry Pi's, network printers and some other nameless devices.
    • 7 VLANs and 8 subnets (6 tagged, 1 core untagged for management) with many different firewall rules, and 1 built in L2TP IPSEC VPN on the USG)
      • Core management for Unifi devices
      • Trusted LAN (PC's, servers, printers, phones, tablets etc.)
      • Gaming
      • iOT
      • Voip
      • Cameras
by
a week ago

Cool, clean setup.