×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
Description

Network_.png

Hello Ubiquiti community!

I was wondering if i could get some advice about building a strong home network for my house. I am relativity new to networking which means that i don't really know how all this works. I know the basics and i hope to keep on learning as networking is for sure something i find interesting. I have a number of questions i would like to ask:

1.Is what i have drawn in the diagram above even possible?

Like i said i am relatively new to networking so i just wanted to know if what i have drawn up would even work. If anyone has any changes they think i should make i would appreciate it if you could let me know.

2. Lines from Modem to Security Gateway Pro 4

I have read about Link aggregation and originally i thought you could combine 2 CAT 6 lines into the gateway from the modem to create a LAG. However from researching further i'm pretty sure that LAG is used mainly to connect two switches together. So is it correct that i can't aggregate the two lines together? Also my modem (Virgin Hub 3) is in another part of the house not near where my rack is going to go. Preemptively i ran 2 CAT 6 lines from the modem to the rack. Shall i just plug 1 of these cables into the WAN port of the gateway? Or is there a way to be able to plug them both in and set them up in a way that if 1 line dies the other takes over sort of as a fail over. If there is any other information that anybody can give me about this it would be great.

3.Linking my switch to the gateway.

My plan is two use a direct connect copper SFP cable to connect the switch and the gateway together using the LAN 1 SFP connection port. Is there any point in running two SFP cables and taking them to the switch. Is that even possible? The only reason i see for doing that is redundancy in case one fails, Since i only get a max of 350 Meg through Virgin in my area running two SFP cables seems pointless since my connection will not be anywhere close to the speed SFP cables can run at. Long story short shall i use 1 cable or 2?

4.Cloud Key

Can i plug my cloud key directly into the router on LAN 2 so that i can free up spaces on the switch? Or do i have to plug it into the switch? This question is relativity simple but like i said i don't really know these things.

Any help would be appreciated and if anyone has any sort of advice they can give to someone starting off in networking or about ubnt equipment in general i would really appreciably it. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Darius

UC-CK_Front.jpg

US-24_Front.jpg

USG_PRO_Front.jpg

Building my home network

by 3 weeks ago

Network_.png

Hello Ubiquiti community!

I was wondering if i could get some advice about building a strong home network for my house. I am relativity new to networking which means that i don't really know how all this works. I know the basics and i hope to keep on learning as networking is for sure something i find interesting. I have a number of questions i would like to ask:

1.Is what i have drawn in the diagram above even possible?

Like i said i am relatively new to networking so i just wanted to know if what i have drawn up would even work. If anyone has any changes they think i should make i would appreciate it if you could let me know.

2. Lines from Modem to Security Gateway Pro 4

I have read about Link aggregation and originally i thought you could combine 2 CAT 6 lines into the gateway from the modem to create a LAG. However from researching further i'm pretty sure that LAG is used mainly to connect two switches together. So is it correct that i can't aggregate the two lines together? Also my modem (Virgin Hub 3) is in another part of the house not near where my rack is going to go. Preemptively i ran 2 CAT 6 lines from the modem to the rack. Shall i just plug 1 of these cables into the WAN port of the gateway? Or is there a way to be able to plug them both in and set them up in a way that if 1 line dies the other takes over sort of as a fail over. If there is any other information that anybody can give me about this it would be great.

3.Linking my switch to the gateway.

My plan is two use a direct connect copper SFP cable to connect the switch and the gateway together using the LAN 1 SFP connection port. Is there any point in running two SFP cables and taking them to the switch. Is that even possible? The only reason i see for doing that is redundancy in case one fails, Since i only get a max of 350 Meg through Virgin in my area running two SFP cables seems pointless since my connection will not be anywhere close to the speed SFP cables can run at. Long story short shall i use 1 cable or 2?

4.Cloud Key

Can i plug my cloud key directly into the router on LAN 2 so that i can free up spaces on the switch? Or do i have to plug it into the switch? This question is relativity simple but like i said i don't really know these things.

Any help would be appreciated and if anyone has any sort of advice they can give to someone starting off in networking or about ubnt equipment in general i would really appreciably it. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Darius

UC-CK_Front.jpg

US-24_Front.jpg

USG_PRO_Front.jpg

{"location":{"title":"London, UK","placeId":"ChIJdd4hrwug2EcRmSrV3Vo6llI"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-security-gateway-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifiswitch-24-250w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"177597i2B2A00511A949ADB"}

Comments
by
3 weeks ago

Hello and welcome to the community! 

Since this area is for stories only, please go to this link and post your questions. The community will be happy to help you out!

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/bd-p/UniFi

Right off the bat, the two lines coming from your modem to the USG pro4 will not work. Also the two cables going from LAN to the switch won't work either. Those ports as far as I know, can't be used together. BUT I could be wrong as software changes all the time. 

Again, if you post in the correct area, we can add so much more info for you! Man Happy

by
3 weeks ago

Ah Right. Thank you!

by
3 weeks ago

Here is the Link to the new thread:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Help-building-my-network/m-p/2518681#M330301

Again thanks for all the help!

by
2 weeks ago

Here is the Link to the new thread:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/Help-building-my-network/m-p/2518681#M330301

Again thanks for all the help!