08/23/2018
City Harbour Unifi Mesh & Airmax AC 2018
Used Products
×23
Description

Last May and June City Wireless installed a new WiFi network in the City Harbours (Stadshavens) of Medemblik in the Netherlands. For 5 years there was an WiFi network in place. The network worked but the with with the growing demand for streaming media and Netflix, the network (and its relay) wasn’t capable anymore of handling the amount of traffic.

Due to the growing demand of streaming media like live and on demand television and Netflix, these networks,  originally designed for browsing and email, need to be expanded and upgraded to the latest standards and with smaller WiFi cells accommodating the higher frequencies and performance.

The new network was designed by using the Ekahau simulation tool. In the simulation the Unifi AC pro was selected to determine the best coverage as it’s radial pattern is comparable to the Unifi mesh pro which is used in this project.Jachthavens_Signal_Strength.pngSimulation coverage and performance

To connect the Unifi meshes to the LAN we chose the non meshed old fashioned Airmax route in a PtmP setup with the Nanobeam Gen2 and a ISO on the central location.WhatsApp Image 2018-08-23 at 14.21.31.jpeg It was still a little bit tricky how these links would connect and perform in one part of the Harbour as the the signal has to transverse through a lot of masts when all the yachts are docked during the evening. A central  ISOstation with his horn sector antenna was chosen to provide a probably better signal through this approx. 300 meters wood of alu masts. In practice we see the signals degrading but to a level where it still performs very good.

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-23 at 14.19.05.jpeg

After two weeks of placing new additional masts, wire them and rewire the old masts with toughcable, install new power circuits and fuses, placing the antennes and connect them to the already installed new Internet connection and Mikrotik routers, the results are good so far.

Also the Ekahau simulation has proven to be quite accurate in this, in for WiFi standards, challenging project.

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-23 at 12.29.51.jpeg

Now the harbour masters receives compliments of their yacht guest for the WiFi and performance compared to other harbours at the lake. (Ijsselmeer) They were able to watch the World Cup Soccer and Tour the France without any problems. He specially mentioned a group of forty guests who were able to watch (Netflix) movies without a problem.

Please find in this post some pictures of the installation and the Ekahau installation. Note the position of the Unifi mesh pro right angled on the pier and quaside. This to provide a maximum coverage and minimum interference with the nanobeam beneath.

20180602_132450_HDR.jpg

Do we earn an Airmax AC gen2 T-shirt now? ;-)

Martin Schut

City Wireless BV

City Harbour Unifi Mesh & Airmax AC 2018

by on ‎08-23-2018 06:49 AM

Last May and June City Wireless installed a new WiFi network in the City Harbours (Stadshavens) of Medemblik in the Netherlands. For 5 years there was an WiFi network in place. The network worked but the with with the growing demand for streaming media and Netflix, the network (and its relay) wasn’t capable anymore of handling the amount of traffic.

Due to the growing demand of streaming media like live and on demand television and Netflix, these networks,  originally designed for browsing and email, need to be expanded and upgraded to the latest standards and with smaller WiFi cells accommodating the higher frequencies and performance.

The new network was designed by using the Ekahau simulation tool. In the simulation the Unifi AC pro was selected to determine the best coverage as it’s radial pattern is comparable to the Unifi mesh pro which is used in this project.Jachthavens_Signal_Strength.pngSimulation coverage and performance

To connect the Unifi meshes to the LAN we chose the non meshed old fashioned Airmax route in a PtmP setup with the Nanobeam Gen2 and a ISO on the central location.WhatsApp Image 2018-08-23 at 14.21.31.jpeg It was still a little bit tricky how these links would connect and perform in one part of the Harbour as the the signal has to transverse through a lot of masts when all the yachts are docked during the evening. A central  ISOstation with his horn sector antenna was chosen to provide a probably better signal through this approx. 300 meters wood of alu masts. In practice we see the signals degrading but to a level where it still performs very good.

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-23 at 14.19.05.jpeg

After two weeks of placing new additional masts, wire them and rewire the old masts with toughcable, install new power circuits and fuses, placing the antennes and connect them to the already installed new Internet connection and Mikrotik routers, the results are good so far.

Also the Ekahau simulation has proven to be quite accurate in this, in for WiFi standards, challenging project.

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-23 at 12.29.51.jpeg

Now the harbour masters receives compliments of their yacht guest for the WiFi and performance compared to other harbours at the lake. (Ijsselmeer) They were able to watch the World Cup Soccer and Tour the France without any problems. He specially mentioned a group of forty guests who were able to watch (Netflix) movies without a problem.

Please find in this post some pictures of the installation and the Ekahau installation. Note the position of the Unifi mesh pro right angled on the pier and quaside. This to provide a maximum coverage and minimum interference with the nanobeam beneath.

20180602_132450_HDR.jpg

Do we earn an Airmax AC gen2 T-shirt now? ;-)

Martin Schut

City Wireless BV

{"location":{"title":"Oosterhaven 2, Medemblik, Netherlands","placeId":"ChIJA760HSywyEcRVfcxfOOtgVM"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-pro-ap-beta","count":23}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"171330i1BF54EBA9A1D1BE1"}

Owner of:
www.citywireless.nl
www.gschool.nl
Comments
by
on ‎08-23-2018 11:59 AM

Dutch people and boats Man Happy

by
on ‎09-01-2018 06:24 AM

Looks great!  

by
on ‎09-02-2018 08:18 AM

What was the cost of this project?

by
on ‎09-19-2018 04:25 AM

i'm currenlty working on the same project. What poles did you use to mount to the pontoon? been struggling to find somthing that bolts down like that 

by
‎09-21-2018 12:42 AM - edited ‎09-21-2018 12:49 AM

Hi Martin,

Als installateur van WiFi netwerken in nederland ben ik erg voorzichtig met het installeren van straalverbindingen zoals uit de AIRmax reeks.

ik ben echter niet geheel zeker ervan of dit ook van toepassing is op de 5Ghz band, echter volgens reguleringen zoals ik deze kan terug vinden op de site van agentschaptelecom lijkt het erop dat ook de 5Ghz band hieronder valt. en daarvoor vergunningen dienen te worden aangevraagd en licentie kosten betaald moeten worden.

Hoe gaan jullie om met deze reguleringen zoals gesteld door agentschaptelecom of hebben jullie een bron die aantoont dat deze technieken van straalverbindingen niet hieronder vallen.

Naast de reguleringen voor straalverbindingen zijn er ook reguleringen voor de zendkracht op 5Ghz, zo zou deze alleen binnenshuis mogen worden gebruikt en niet boven een bepaald mW mogen zenden. (kan hiervan even de tabel niet meer terugvinden zoals deze stond op de website van rijksoverheid/agentschaptelecom)

(verbeter me als ik verkeerd zit met hoe ik het hier beschrijf, en ik zie graag bronnen die anders bewijzen Man Happy )

Bron: https://www.agentschaptelecom.nl/onderwerpen/straalverbindingen

EDIT: Bron alsnog gevonden m.b.t. zendkracht 5Ghz: http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0015732/2007-12-22 (zie categorie 4) 

Ik hoor graag van je hoe jullie hiermee omgaan, dit zou me erg kunnen helpen bij toekomstige installaties.

Groeten,
Rithemize

---

English:

Hi Martin,

As installer from WiFi-networks in The Netherlands i am very carefull with installing PtP connections like from the AIRmax series.

Im not very sure if there are regulations on the 5Ghz band in the netherlands, but according to the website from agentschaptelecom (telco agency) there needs to be requested a license for every link there is astablished.

How do you deal with these regulation as stated by agentschaptelecom, or do you have a source that confirms that we can use the 5Ghz band without any regulations for this type of connections. 

Beside the regulations for the PtP connections, there would also be regulations of the 5Ghz band in general. as i can remember the 5Ghz band may only be used indoors and mey not exceed a specific mW of transmit power. (i cannot find the right source at this point)

(Please correct me if im wrong on any of the above, and please confirm with sources of this.)

Source: https://www.agentschaptelecom.nl/onderwerpen/straalverbindingen

EDIT: I found the source from the usage of 5Ghz: http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0015732/2007-12-22 (zie categorie 4) 

I love to hear from your expierence with this, it could help me alot with future installs.

Greetings,
Rithemize

by
on ‎09-21-2018 02:03 AM

Dear Garath,

The poles we use depends on the pontoons.

Here we used normal 6 meter fiber flagpoles with a hinge bolt down on the planks of the pontoon.

On an other harbour the planks are not rigid enough for these poles.

There we use aluminium scafolding poles with (two side poles) bolted down on the pontoons.

by
on ‎09-21-2018 02:13 AM

Dear Rithemize,

The 5 Ghz WiFi band (in the Netherlands) is already fo many many years non regulated and can be used with indoor and outdoor frequencies (DFS) up to 1 Watt EIRP.

http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0036378/2016-12-28  See subcatogie 2.

Martin

by
on ‎09-21-2018 02:36 AM

@Tino,

Thanks a lot! then i was looking at old information this whole time!

I see it is only 1Watt E.I.R.P when i use the DFS channels between 5470 – 5725 mhz.

thanks agian! also thanks for the fast reply Man Happy

by
on ‎09-21-2018 07:06 AM

@Tino - That looks like a great project.  I'm in the same boat as @gareth_iowc in looking for that hinge base pole.  Could you share the manufacturer, or a part number, or a name, or anything?  Or any other info that could help me find one in the US?   :-)

Thanks and great job!

by
‎09-23-2018 04:00 AM - edited ‎09-24-2018 01:12 AM

@depasseg  @gareth_iowc Goodmorning from the Netherlands,

Please find below some detailed picttures from the flag poles used in this project and the scafolding poles used in another harbour and pontoons.

20180504_153923_HDR.jpgFlag pole hinge on pontoon2013-07-17 14.52.08.jpgScafolding pole with two side stands on pontoon