08/01/2018
Combining Ubiquiti and pfSense for a high performance, low-cost Unifi 10Gbit college dorm network
Used Products
×70
×15
×3
Description

We were met with a challenge: Build a scalable network for more than 1000 residents at a Copenhagen college dorm. The features requested by the client indicated that an enterprise-class network was needed, yet the non-profit nature of the organization put clear limits on the available budget.

We just finished the first phase, which includes.

-The core switches and firewalls with the capacity to utilize a 10Gbit Internet connection fully,

-Edge network for administration, access control, video surveillance and technical installations,

-Edge network for apartments and WiFi,

-Initial deployment of WiFi in common areas.

And all of this with high reliability, redundancy and ease of administration in mind - providing high performance networking for demanding young tenants as well as the systems managing all the technology that goes on at the campus, including access control, POS systems, video security and much more.

Through careful planning, the complete install took two full days from start to finish.

All products deployed, except for the firewalls, were Ubiquiti UniFi. The requested features determined that pfSense was chosen as the firewalls. The combination of UniFi and pfSense appliances was a good match, and keeping with the general theme of the completed solution.

UniFi alternatives included solutions from other major manufacturers, but cost as well as ease of use made UniFi the only right choice for us.

The end result is a network that meets the demands of the customer and the residents. More speed, more redundancy and lower maintenance costs. Note the classic media converter in one of the pictures? These are now thankfully gone for good.

1520258220659.JPEGThe 10G core network

20180209_081758.jpgBoxes, boxes boxes!

20180221_211200.jpgNetwork load shortly after install

20180305_090353.jpgA typical edge network rack, soon to be tidy´d up

20180305_120156.jpgPerformance testing switches and firewalls

Screenshot_20180224-190758.pngManagement during install

The next step? Complete UniFi wireless coverage throughout the campus!

Combining Ubiquiti and pfSense for a high performance, low-cost Unifi 10Gbit college dorm network

by on ‎08-01-2018 02:13 AM

We were met with a challenge: Build a scalable network for more than 1000 residents at a Copenhagen college dorm. The features requested by the client indicated that an enterprise-class network was needed, yet the non-profit nature of the organization put clear limits on the available budget.

We just finished the first phase, which includes.

-The core switches and firewalls with the capacity to utilize a 10Gbit Internet connection fully,

-Edge network for administration, access control, video surveillance and technical installations,

-Edge network for apartments and WiFi,

-Initial deployment of WiFi in common areas.

And all of this with high reliability, redundancy and ease of administration in mind - providing high performance networking for demanding young tenants as well as the systems managing all the technology that goes on at the campus, including access control, POS systems, video security and much more.

Through careful planning, the complete install took two full days from start to finish.

All products deployed, except for the firewalls, were Ubiquiti UniFi. The requested features determined that pfSense was chosen as the firewalls. The combination of UniFi and pfSense appliances was a good match, and keeping with the general theme of the completed solution.

UniFi alternatives included solutions from other major manufacturers, but cost as well as ease of use made UniFi the only right choice for us.

The end result is a network that meets the demands of the customer and the residents. More speed, more redundancy and lower maintenance costs. Note the classic media converter in one of the pictures? These are now thankfully gone for good.

1520258220659.JPEGThe 10G core network

20180209_081758.jpgBoxes, boxes boxes!

20180221_211200.jpgNetwork load shortly after install

20180305_090353.jpgA typical edge network rack, soon to be tidy´d up

20180305_120156.jpgPerformance testing switches and firewalls

Screenshot_20180224-190758.pngManagement during install

The next step? Complete UniFi wireless coverage throughout the campus!

{"location":{"title":"Copenhagen, Denmark","placeId":"ChIJIz2AXDxTUkYRuGeU5t1-3QQ"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"l2-managed-poe-gigabit-switch-with-sfp","count":70},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":15},{"id":"unifi-switch-16-xg-beta","count":3}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"168106i1894A7D359DDFDB3"}

Comments
by
on ‎08-02-2018 12:04 AM

Lol  give me that many switches 😶

by
on ‎08-02-2018 12:57 AM

Thank you for fishing it out of the spam folder. I felt it was a valid story myself. Man Happy

As for switches. Well yeah, for a building with approx. 1000 apartments + the technical installation to manage the building + a complete WiFi deployment at some point. It takes some ports. Man Happy

We would have liked to use fewer core switches but these were the building blocks available at the time. It´s quite exciting that we can build a 10G capable core in an inexpensive way.

10G is necessary because the Internet connection is 10G. Maybe I should get one of those at home!

/Allan

by
on ‎08-02-2018 04:27 AM

We are just finishing similiar project. But we choose Aruba APs due LLDP support.

HPE project prices are equal to UBN.

by
on ‎08-02-2018 05:51 AM

@abinderup- I am glad they were able to fish this out of the spam folder as well. I am confused on why it got there in the first place. This is a great story! Congrats on getting it all done in 2 days. Thats pretty impressive even with a lot of organization happening. Excellent setup! 

How many ports are in each dorm room?

by
on ‎08-02-2018 03:47 PM

Great pictures and write up, thanks for sharing.

by
on ‎08-02-2018 11:45 PM

I believe most dorm rooms have only 1 or 2 outlets so naturally that brings challenges with tenants adding their own equipment.

I wish there were a really effective DHCP snooping/blocking in the switches.

However I had issues with DHCP snooping previously on both HP and Cisco as well, for some reason it seems hard to implement.

Either way it would be nice to prevent the tenants personal DHCP servers from introducing problems. Man Happy

by
on ‎08-03-2018 06:19 AM

Your browser tabs look a lot like mine: Plex, Sonarr, Facebook....  Lol

by
on ‎08-03-2018 08:30 AM

Is the pictured cloud key the only Unifi controller for all of those devices?

by
on ‎08-03-2018 03:37 PM

woooooooooow ! , good work , may i please know how many clients you had per one access point , and did you deploy them indoors or outdoors aiaming to see the windows ? 

by
on ‎08-03-2018 04:08 PM

I wonder if ubnt olt gpon would be a good solution for such scenario🤔