a week ago
Deploy UniFi with other L2+ stacking switch
Used Products
×1
×2
×5
×1
Description

Since we are just a start-up company, do not have a lot of budgets, we have to all by our own.

And, we need to consider the future, make this network plan not obselete at least in 3 years. Security and managebility are also need to be taken into consideration. To decide using D-link DGS1510 series stacking switch is just by a chance that Amazon had a POE switch with stacking and 10G feature on sale (used). And at that time, I did not use UBiquiti at all, I just want to solve a problem of intermittent access point restarting/down problem. However, at the end, even they replaced me two new one, it still have problem. After painful monthes, we were sufering with gateway performance issue, so I choosed the USG-4-Pro as our company's gateway instead of comcast's gateway. It do solved the problem and the performance is good so far.

Then, we decided to upgrade office space, and have a chance to renovate our network. So I took this chance to deploy new UniFi system. I originally purchased 3 SHD and 2HD, want to deploy them to serve different area (dense area and spare area). Then I got a news that we cannot break our original lease, which means we should keep our old office area(downstairs). Originally, I want to let old AP work with new UniFi system, the RADIUS works so far so good but old APs don't support RADIUS based VLAN and also require another controller software. After struggle for another month, I was impressed by the stability of UAP. So I dicided to obselete old APs, move two HD to downstairs, and bought another SHD on upstair.

The thing I only unsatisfied was the CloudKey. I bought two, one used, one new, none of them last long for 1 month. Lost settings, unstable. So I used a Odroid-C2 serves the controller (ubuntu 16.04 server, no GUI), really stable and configurable.

Next challange is deploy L3 switching and routing. We have an QNAP NAS server, I upgraded it with an 10Gb SFP+ adapter and directlly connected it to the switch. For security reasons, I splited our network to a lot VLANs, each has it own IP range. Firstly, I let the L3 switch as deputy of gateway. DHCP server will set all client's default gateway to the L3 switch. However in recently software upgrades (I really did not find out the real reason, maybe NAT firewall does not conpatible with asymmertric routing), this no longer work. So I have to turn back the default gateway back to USG. After searching and keep requesting help from Ubiquiti employees, they remind me that I can use DHCP option to provision static routing table to the client! I successfully configured that today just with some itches (recently upgraded dnsmasq has a bug that it does not send these option out).

The electric room's patch cable almost made by me (from patch panel to switch). The contruction guy nearly made me annoying. Crimping the CA6A jack without care and even fail, very unprofessional.

In the floor plan, Dark thick blue line is the connection between POE switch and UAPs,dark thin blue line connected other POE enabed devices; bright thick blue lines are 10G stacking fiber, bright thin blue lines are expansion fiber to down stream L2 switch, orange lines are phone line.

Last but not least, I really want to thank the community. Since I found a lot of useful resources from the forum.

By the way, I am not dedicate IT guy, I am an electronic engineer as well as embedded software engineer. I touch these just because my becholar degree was communication engineering and still have hobby on it.

WeChat Screenshot_20180807222648.png

WeChat Image_20180807230812.jpgElectric room

WeChat Image_20180807230821.jpgPOE switch and phone modem

Deploy UniFi with other L2+ stacking switch

by a week ago - last edited a week ago

Since we are just a start-up company, do not have a lot of budgets, we have to all by our own.

And, we need to consider the future, make this network plan not obselete at least in 3 years. Security and managebility are also need to be taken into consideration. To decide using D-link DGS1510 series stacking switch is just by a chance that Amazon had a POE switch with stacking and 10G feature on sale (used). And at that time, I did not use UBiquiti at all, I just want to solve a problem of intermittent access point restarting/down problem. However, at the end, even they replaced me two new one, it still have problem. After painful monthes, we were sufering with gateway performance issue, so I choosed the USG-4-Pro as our company's gateway instead of comcast's gateway. It do solved the problem and the performance is good so far.

Then, we decided to upgrade office space, and have a chance to renovate our network. So I took this chance to deploy new UniFi system. I originally purchased 3 SHD and 2HD, want to deploy them to serve different area (dense area and spare area). Then I got a news that we cannot break our original lease, which means we should keep our old office area(downstairs). Originally, I want to let old AP work with new UniFi system, the RADIUS works so far so good but old APs don't support RADIUS based VLAN and also require another controller software. After struggle for another month, I was impressed by the stability of UAP. So I dicided to obselete old APs, move two HD to downstairs, and bought another SHD on upstair.

The thing I only unsatisfied was the CloudKey. I bought two, one used, one new, none of them last long for 1 month. Lost settings, unstable. So I used a Odroid-C2 serves the controller (ubuntu 16.04 server, no GUI), really stable and configurable.

Next challange is deploy L3 switching and routing. We have an QNAP NAS server, I upgraded it with an 10Gb SFP+ adapter and directlly connected it to the switch. For security reasons, I splited our network to a lot VLANs, each has it own IP range. Firstly, I let the L3 switch as deputy of gateway. DHCP server will set all client's default gateway to the L3 switch. However in recently software upgrades (I really did not find out the real reason, maybe NAT firewall does not conpatible with asymmertric routing), this no longer work. So I have to turn back the default gateway back to USG. After searching and keep requesting help from Ubiquiti employees, they remind me that I can use DHCP option to provision static routing table to the client! I successfully configured that today just with some itches (recently upgraded dnsmasq has a bug that it does not send these option out).

The electric room's patch cable almost made by me (from patch panel to switch). The contruction guy nearly made me annoying. Crimping the CA6A jack without care and even fail, very unprofessional.

In the floor plan, Dark thick blue line is the connection between POE switch and UAPs,dark thin blue line connected other POE enabed devices; bright thick blue lines are 10G stacking fiber, bright thin blue lines are expansion fiber to down stream L2 switch, orange lines are phone line.

Last but not least, I really want to thank the community. Since I found a lot of useful resources from the forum.

By the way, I am not dedicate IT guy, I am an electronic engineer as well as embedded software engineer. I touch these just because my becholar degree was communication engineering and still have hobby on it.

WeChat Screenshot_20180807222648.png

WeChat Image_20180807230812.jpgElectric room

WeChat Image_20180807230821.jpgPOE switch and phone modem

{"location":{"title":"120 Beacon St, Somerville, MA 02143, USA","placeId":"ChIJhRuFTEh344kR58trhWaIsBw"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-in-wall-pro-wi-fi-access-point","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-hd","count":2},{"id":"unifi-ap-ac-shd","count":5},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway-pro","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"169097i82FA029F6EBB3E56"}