05/07/2018
End-to-End Unifi for SMB client
Reason for Installation
The setup is for a SMB client into designing and export of garments. They have two offices on the same floor, one is backoffice with 65 wired clients, another is kind of workshop and display area with 16 connections.
Used Products
×4
×1
×5
Description

Citrus1.jpegCitrus4.jpeg

Citrus3.jpeg

Citrus2.jpeg

Network structure:
The backoffice has 42U rack with USG-PRO-4 and 4 US-24 switches, the workshop has one US-24 switch. The client did not wanted URL filtering thus the USG, would like the USG to do basic filtering someday. Both the offices have 2 UAP-AC-PRO each. The Unifi controller is running on a NUC/Linux installation, do not trust the cloud key for stability. The CCTV has a seperate VLAN connected to a 3rd party provided switches.

End-to-End Unifi for SMB client

by on ‎05-07-2018 09:42 AM

Citrus1.jpegCitrus4.jpeg

Citrus3.jpeg

Citrus2.jpeg

Network structure:
The backoffice has 42U rack with USG-PRO-4 and 4 US-24 switches, the workshop has one US-24 switch. The client did not wanted URL filtering thus the USG, would like the USG to do basic filtering someday. Both the offices have 2 UAP-AC-PRO each. The Unifi controller is running on a NUC/Linux installation, do not trust the cloud key for stability. The CCTV has a seperate VLAN connected to a 3rd party provided switches.

{"location":{"title":"Salt Lake City, West Bengal, India","placeId":"ChIJLZ9vmE10AjoR2ftJs2B-Plw"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":4},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-24","count":5}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"The setup is for a SMB client into designing and export of garments. They have two offices on the same floor, one is backoffice with 65 wired clients, another is kind of workshop and display area with 16 connections. \n\n","mainImage":"156076i1121B7A07B874B36"}

Comments
by
on ‎05-07-2018 10:27 AM

@vbhoj74 wrote:

.... The Unifi controller is running on a NUC/Linux installation, do not trust the cloud key for stability. ...

I would like to hear why you do not trust the CloudKey?  Have you ever had a stability problem with the CloudKey?

by
on ‎05-07-2018 11:55 PM

I was thinking the same about the cloudkey...

In fact i have 1 and just let it happend here to get 1 in my home.

Its stable !

by
on ‎05-08-2018 08:48 AM
I've 2 corporate and 1 home installation on cloud key, all of them keeps hanging after few days and needs reboot. Got tired of upgrading it with new firmware and hoping it would have fixed the issue. The days they remain operational is just random. A little extra cost for a NUC, resulted in a very stable controller installation. Would love to hear which version your cloudkeys r on? Maybe will try one more time if it's something recent.
by
on ‎05-08-2018 11:04 AM

Is there a specific reason you are using a standalone media converter rather than an SFP module?

by
on ‎05-08-2018 05:07 PM

Hi, nice observation, the media converter is provided by the ISP and is a WAN connection. We were not sure what kind of last mile the ISP would provide, sometimes it is on GPON. Besides, did not wanted to replace their media converter with a SFP on the router, they would disown line down service calls, plus it gets easier to disconnect the cat6 from the router and hook it to a laptop (isolate wan) to quickly troueshoot WAN issues by the ISP.

by
on ‎05-09-2018 07:46 AM

Any particular reason why you chose multiple 24 port switches and not 48's?

Just curious.

-Colt

by
on ‎05-09-2018 09:14 PM

Hi Colter, Answer: Logistics. The distributor had more lead time for delivery of 48p switches.

by
Saturday

The gen 1 cloudkeys do have a habit of bombing their databases if they are dirty downed.  the gen 2 have a built in battery that initiates a clean shutdown upon power loss.