Finished updating parents home network with detached garage getting wifi
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
Description

After having such incredible good luck with the Unifi line at my own home. I waited for any small reason to update my parents home. I just had to wait a year or so and my mom started complaing her wifi was cutting in and out all the time. So (not kidding) for some Christmas, Mothers day and Fathers day gifts, they consisted of LR AP or a switch and an AP-AC-Pro. My dad always wonders if the garage is closed so I bought him a MyQ wireless garage system and installed it over fathers day weekend. I bought them networking hardware to update their home to 2015 at very least. 

Home info:

Built in 1998

~4,100sq ft.

1.1 acre corner lot

1,000 sq ft deck

2-car Detached garage; ~600sq ft for first flr, ~500sq ft for loft

Networking Info:

Comcast Internet and VOIP- 100mbps dn/10mbps up 

2x Amcrest PTZ 4MP PoE Security Cameras

1x LR AP

1x AC-Pro

1x In-Wall AC

1x 8 port 60W switch

1x USG 3

1x 250w APC Battery Backup

1x Generac Whole Home Natural Gas Generator

1x Motorola Docsis 3.0 Modem

1x Synology DS115J NAS

Pics with some comments:IMG_20180623_085837.jpg

Old phone port from when the detached garage was built. So happy my parents had them run cat 5e from here to the basement of the house. It was being used for a regular phone port but now is a full gigabit connection. Hurray

IMG_20180623_090738.jpg

InWall AC AP being installed. So easy to mount!

IMG_20180623_092652.jpg

Loft of detached garage. Phone port split off from 1st floor turned into RJ45 port for gigabit and if wanted, PoE connection. Sadly it was put at shoulder height for a phone. and they left less than a 1ft extra. It was stapled all the way up the wall. Nono

IMG_20180623_093905.jpg

Finished InWall in Detached garage. Blue cable on bottom right is going upstairs to just mentioned port in loft. No its not connected to the PoE port but it can be changed in the future.

House upgrades:

IMG_20180623_095253.jpg

Pots lines for house- Whoever ran those must have been high as a kite...Also black box on pvc pipe is how Comcast installed their voice router. (Idiots) My parents asked if it should be hung up, tech said he didn't want to do it for what he had time for. 

I'm looking to get rid of the voice gateway and get rid of Comcast Voice. Waste of money and I want to get the house off the POTS lines and onto VOIP lines. 

IMG_20180623_105023.jpg

I took 3 minutes and mounted the voice router to a joist. The white box has something to do with the ADT alarm system. If you ever want them, make sure you are there when they install it. They put boxes all over the place and in no obvious spots. If you couldn't tell already, this is where the main breaker panel is for the house as well. 

IMG_20180623_105029.jpg

Battery backup mounted to joist to get up and out of the way. This is plugged into an outlet that has the generator attached to it. Its a whole home natural gas generator from Generac. It kicks in roughly 4 seconds after the power goes out. The UPS I have keeps the networking running for those 4 seconds. 

IMG_20180623_105039.jpg

Tough to see really but the USG is mounted and on the left side is the Docsis 3.0 modem. The red cable for LAN goes to port 1 on the 8 port 60w switch to the right of it. 

IMG_20180623_141833.jpg

Picture of one of the mounted PoE security cameras. My dad uses one of them to keep an eye out for water coming into the basement from the sump pump. He has wired the generator into the main sump and the backup one but wants a camera to see just in case he is gone, logs in and sees water coming up. 

The DS116J Synology Diskstation is sitting there to be the camera app streamer, recording of video for other camera security and soon might do a couple more things for the network. My mom uses it as storage for pictures and videos as well. 

IMG_20180623_141837.jpg

Finished product- No the cables can be MUCH better but I am not going to rip it all apart and do cable, by cable. Nothing is dangeling and/or ready to be cut or sliced. Plus I don't know how to wire ADT equipment but I wish I did. 

I have 1 more port left on the switch. I am thinking of running a cable to the ADT system and getting rid of the Netgear router they are using. It dies when the power goes out anyway...so i'm not sure what they were thinking. 

All in all this was a sucess! My parents can walk anywhere and their laptops, phones and other tech has no problems roaming around the AP's. With their 11 TV's around the house and detached garage, most of them have wifi built in so they can stream netflix and/or from my Plex Media Server.

I love the Unifi line and I can't wait for another project to come up! 

Finished updating parents home network with detached garage getting wifi

by on ‎06-26-2018 03:53 PM

After having such incredible good luck with the Unifi line at my own home. I waited for any small reason to update my parents home. I just had to wait a year or so and my mom started complaing her wifi was cutting in and out all the time. So (not kidding) for some Christmas, Mothers day and Fathers day gifts, they consisted of LR AP or a switch and an AP-AC-Pro. My dad always wonders if the garage is closed so I bought him a MyQ wireless garage system and installed it over fathers day weekend. I bought them networking hardware to update their home to 2015 at very least. 

Home info:

Built in 1998

~4,100sq ft.

1.1 acre corner lot

1,000 sq ft deck

2-car Detached garage; ~600sq ft for first flr, ~500sq ft for loft

Networking Info:

Comcast Internet and VOIP- 100mbps dn/10mbps up 

2x Amcrest PTZ 4MP PoE Security Cameras

1x LR AP

1x AC-Pro

1x In-Wall AC

1x 8 port 60W switch

1x USG 3

1x 250w APC Battery Backup

1x Generac Whole Home Natural Gas Generator

1x Motorola Docsis 3.0 Modem

1x Synology DS115J NAS

Pics with some comments:IMG_20180623_085837.jpg

Old phone port from when the detached garage was built. So happy my parents had them run cat 5e from here to the basement of the house. It was being used for a regular phone port but now is a full gigabit connection. Hurray

IMG_20180623_090738.jpg

InWall AC AP being installed. So easy to mount!

IMG_20180623_092652.jpg

Loft of detached garage. Phone port split off from 1st floor turned into RJ45 port for gigabit and if wanted, PoE connection. Sadly it was put at shoulder height for a phone. and they left less than a 1ft extra. It was stapled all the way up the wall. Nono

IMG_20180623_093905.jpg

Finished InWall in Detached garage. Blue cable on bottom right is going upstairs to just mentioned port in loft. No its not connected to the PoE port but it can be changed in the future.

House upgrades:

IMG_20180623_095253.jpg

Pots lines for house- Whoever ran those must have been high as a kite...Also black box on pvc pipe is how Comcast installed their voice router. (Idiots) My parents asked if it should be hung up, tech said he didn't want to do it for what he had time for. 

I'm looking to get rid of the voice gateway and get rid of Comcast Voice. Waste of money and I want to get the house off the POTS lines and onto VOIP lines. 

IMG_20180623_105023.jpg

I took 3 minutes and mounted the voice router to a joist. The white box has something to do with the ADT alarm system. If you ever want them, make sure you are there when they install it. They put boxes all over the place and in no obvious spots. If you couldn't tell already, this is where the main breaker panel is for the house as well. 

IMG_20180623_105029.jpg

Battery backup mounted to joist to get up and out of the way. This is plugged into an outlet that has the generator attached to it. Its a whole home natural gas generator from Generac. It kicks in roughly 4 seconds after the power goes out. The UPS I have keeps the networking running for those 4 seconds. 

IMG_20180623_105039.jpg

Tough to see really but the USG is mounted and on the left side is the Docsis 3.0 modem. The red cable for LAN goes to port 1 on the 8 port 60w switch to the right of it. 

IMG_20180623_141833.jpg

Picture of one of the mounted PoE security cameras. My dad uses one of them to keep an eye out for water coming into the basement from the sump pump. He has wired the generator into the main sump and the backup one but wants a camera to see just in case he is gone, logs in and sees water coming up. 

The DS116J Synology Diskstation is sitting there to be the camera app streamer, recording of video for other camera security and soon might do a couple more things for the network. My mom uses it as storage for pictures and videos as well. 

IMG_20180623_141837.jpg

Finished product- No the cables can be MUCH better but I am not going to rip it all apart and do cable, by cable. Nothing is dangeling and/or ready to be cut or sliced. Plus I don't know how to wire ADT equipment but I wish I did. 

I have 1 more port left on the switch. I am thinking of running a cable to the ADT system and getting rid of the Netgear router they are using. It dies when the power goes out anyway...so i'm not sure what they were thinking. 

All in all this was a sucess! My parents can walk anywhere and their laptops, phones and other tech has no problems roaming around the AP's. With their 11 TV's around the house and detached garage, most of them have wifi built in so they can stream netflix and/or from my Plex Media Server.

I love the Unifi line and I can't wait for another project to come up! 

{"location":{"title":"St. Charles, IL 60175, USA","placeId":"ChIJd7yvGnseD4gRohnpy_55FWE"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"inwall-ap","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-lr","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":1},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"162872i34E15A19C8716B9F"}

Comments
by
on ‎07-11-2018 06:07 AM

Great setup

by
‎07-15-2018 03:47 PM - edited ‎07-15-2018 03:47 PM

It's great that you had the ability to help out your parents.  I am about to do the same.  It makes supporting them so much easier, especially if you are far away.

One suggestion, however, is to get a small and compact rack cabinet to hang from the joists.  It would make servicing the network much easier.  

Did you install that 110 block or was it already there?  It is a strange place to have it.

by
on ‎07-20-2018 06:10 PM

@brettapower- It was so worth the time and money. I can now check the network all the time and keep them up to date on their devices. I wanted to get a rack and all that fun stuff. My dad doesn't want all that to be done. I was happy to just be able to hang it up on the joists. 

I DID NOT install anything else but the networking in the home. The builders hired very cheap people to install that wiring, I would guess. The only good part like I stated in the article was the detached garage had cat 5e coming from the basement for the phone lines. The house used some weird 12 wired cable that was split between 3 seperate phone jacks. Very dumb but cheap way. 

Sadly the UPS died about a week ago, so I need to replace that soon.