01/03/2018
From WiFi slow to In Wall Pro's
Reason for Installation
When you moving to a new house you need new hardware..
Used Products
×3
×1
×1
×1
IJburg, IJburg West, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Description

luchtfoto_ijburg_unifi.png

A friend of mine with his wife and two kids moved in to their new build 3 storey house that is situated on the island Ijburg in Amsterdam. The previous house was a lot smaller and only had 2 floors and was half the size.
Also what was moved was the internet connection and wifi setup/equipment.
The Ijburg district has availability for Cable internet (ISP: Ziggo) or Fiber internet (ISP: KPN), my friend kept his Cable internet connection (200/20mbit) because if was cheaper and had no problems with it over the years.

The current setup:

Modem/Router, Wifi AP’s:
- 1 x Ubee EVW 3226 wifi-modem (fusebox closet ground floor)
- 2 x Sitecom wifi extender powerline adapters (fusebox closet 1 ground floor / hobby room 2nd floor)

Wired Clients:
- 1 x Philips HUE bridge (fuse box closet 1st floor)
- 1 x Alarm system base unit (fuse box closet ground floor)
- 1 x Synology NAS DS214 (hobby room 1st floor)

Wireless clients:
- 1 x Horizon Mediabox XL (Livingroom ground floor)
- 1 x Samsung 4K smart tv (Livingroom ground floor)
- 1 x Macbook Pro (roaming floors)
- 1 x iMac 21” (hobby room 1st floor)
- 2 x iPhones (roaming floors)
- 1 x Dell laptop (roaming floors)
- 1 x iPad (roaming floors)

Problem:
So, after some weeks when they were finally settled in the new home my friend gets irritated about slow and bad wifi reception in his new house. Kids complaining, they can’t watch Netflix properly.
When I was at the house warming party, he offered me a glass of wine and want to talk with me about his computer problems Lol

Problem descriptions:
- Ground floor: slow internet, bad wifi reception, lagging Netflix, no wifi roaming, no guest wifi;
- 1st floor: slow internet, iMac to NAS slow throughput, no wifi roaming;
- 2nd floor they had barely to no wifi at all, no wifi roaming.

Site survey/wishes:
The next week I paid him a visit to look at his configuration, wifi on his modem was 2.4ghz channel 4, wifi was enabled on his Horizon Media XL box both 2.4 and 5ghz with different SSID and also doing DHCP, his Extenders had different SSID and over powerlines the throughput wasn’t that great. Roaming didn’t work at all with all those different SSID names, what strange it didn’t work Out Also I had do something about the coax cabling, the modem was directly attached to an Hirschmann HMV 41 cable amplifier which gave a way to high power output (DB’s) to the modem.

With a cup of coffee we looked at the possibilities, the current problems and how to fix them.. I was thinking to go with 3 Unifi AC Pro’s, on every floor one but mounting them to the sealing outlets was not possible because there already powerlines running through them. Also his NAS and iMac must be connected using a UTP cable because its faster for uploading his pictures and running time machine backups.

Solution:
Looking around in his new home I saw on every floor there where unused wall sockets so why not pull UTP cables to them and instead of using UniFi AC Pro’s we gonna use the UniFi AC In Wall Pro Wi-Fi Access Points. The In-Wall’s Pro's also have 2 Ethernets ports so that would useful to connect the iMac and NAS wired.

Made a Visio drawing how it should like at the end:

Visio.jpg

To make everything possible I ordered the hardware and called the Cable internet company already to replace the old cable modem for a new one; Ziggo Connectbox (Compal). The Shoppling list:
- 1 x USG
- 1 x Unifi 8 port Switch 60w
- 3 x UniFi AC In Wall Pro’s
- 1 x UniFi CloudKey
- Coax cable / connectors / splitter (not included in the picture)
- 60 meters UTP CAT6a cable (not included in the picture)

IMG_0445.JPG

We pulled UTP cables to ground floor, 2nd & 3rd floor unused wall outlets, they all come together in the fuse box closet, added RJ45 connectors to the cables.IMG_6236 UTP Cable.JPG

Removed all the old hardware to start with a clean slate. First we mounted the new Cable modem wall mount.

IMG_3074 Clean Fuse box.JPG

Added an splitter so that the modem is not connected directly to the amplifier anymore. Mounted the USG, Switch and Cloudkey onto the wall, connected everything.IMG_0375 Fuse box ready.JPG

Mounted the three UniFi AC In Wall Pro’s on every floor, connected the iMac and NAS with UTP cables:IMG_0380 In Wall ground floor.JPG

IMG_0377 In Wall Hobby room.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG In Wall Hobby room imac.JPG

Put the Cable modem in bridge mode, Configured the UniFi controller, USG, created the SSID’s, VPN, etc Reconfigured the Horionzon Mediabox so it's not included in the network anymore and disabled the wifi on it (this device realy a virus in your network!)

Unifi topology.png

Result:
All problems are gone, browsing the internet is fast now and roaming is finally working! His iMac and NAS are now connected using UTP cables via the two UniFi AC In Wall Pro Ethernet ports and making fast backups again. The kids arent complaining about Netflix anymore so mom & dad are happy also Smilielol5

At the end one more happy Ubiquiti customer/friend!

Big thank goes out to @UBNT-jeff for helping me!

From WiFi slow to In Wall Pro's

by on ‎01-03-2018 10:16 AM

luchtfoto_ijburg_unifi.png

A friend of mine with his wife and two kids moved in to their new build 3 storey house that is situated on the island Ijburg in Amsterdam. The previous house was a lot smaller and only had 2 floors and was half the size.
Also what was moved was the internet connection and wifi setup/equipment.
The Ijburg district has availability for Cable internet (ISP: Ziggo) or Fiber internet (ISP: KPN), my friend kept his Cable internet connection (200/20mbit) because if was cheaper and had no problems with it over the years.

The current setup:

Modem/Router, Wifi AP’s:
- 1 x Ubee EVW 3226 wifi-modem (fusebox closet ground floor)
- 2 x Sitecom wifi extender powerline adapters (fusebox closet 1 ground floor / hobby room 2nd floor)

Wired Clients:
- 1 x Philips HUE bridge (fuse box closet 1st floor)
- 1 x Alarm system base unit (fuse box closet ground floor)
- 1 x Synology NAS DS214 (hobby room 1st floor)

Wireless clients:
- 1 x Horizon Mediabox XL (Livingroom ground floor)
- 1 x Samsung 4K smart tv (Livingroom ground floor)
- 1 x Macbook Pro (roaming floors)
- 1 x iMac 21” (hobby room 1st floor)
- 2 x iPhones (roaming floors)
- 1 x Dell laptop (roaming floors)
- 1 x iPad (roaming floors)

Problem:
So, after some weeks when they were finally settled in the new home my friend gets irritated about slow and bad wifi reception in his new house. Kids complaining, they can’t watch Netflix properly.
When I was at the house warming party, he offered me a glass of wine and want to talk with me about his computer problems Lol

Problem descriptions:
- Ground floor: slow internet, bad wifi reception, lagging Netflix, no wifi roaming, no guest wifi;
- 1st floor: slow internet, iMac to NAS slow throughput, no wifi roaming;
- 2nd floor they had barely to no wifi at all, no wifi roaming.

Site survey/wishes:
The next week I paid him a visit to look at his configuration, wifi on his modem was 2.4ghz channel 4, wifi was enabled on his Horizon Media XL box both 2.4 and 5ghz with different SSID and also doing DHCP, his Extenders had different SSID and over powerlines the throughput wasn’t that great. Roaming didn’t work at all with all those different SSID names, what strange it didn’t work Out Also I had do something about the coax cabling, the modem was directly attached to an Hirschmann HMV 41 cable amplifier which gave a way to high power output (DB’s) to the modem.

With a cup of coffee we looked at the possibilities, the current problems and how to fix them.. I was thinking to go with 3 Unifi AC Pro’s, on every floor one but mounting them to the sealing outlets was not possible because there already powerlines running through them. Also his NAS and iMac must be connected using a UTP cable because its faster for uploading his pictures and running time machine backups.

Solution:
Looking around in his new home I saw on every floor there where unused wall sockets so why not pull UTP cables to them and instead of using UniFi AC Pro’s we gonna use the UniFi AC In Wall Pro Wi-Fi Access Points. The In-Wall’s Pro's also have 2 Ethernets ports so that would useful to connect the iMac and NAS wired.

Made a Visio drawing how it should like at the end:

Visio.jpg

To make everything possible I ordered the hardware and called the Cable internet company already to replace the old cable modem for a new one; Ziggo Connectbox (Compal). The Shoppling list:
- 1 x USG
- 1 x Unifi 8 port Switch 60w
- 3 x UniFi AC In Wall Pro’s
- 1 x UniFi CloudKey
- Coax cable / connectors / splitter (not included in the picture)
- 60 meters UTP CAT6a cable (not included in the picture)

IMG_0445.JPG

We pulled UTP cables to ground floor, 2nd & 3rd floor unused wall outlets, they all come together in the fuse box closet, added RJ45 connectors to the cables.IMG_6236 UTP Cable.JPG

Removed all the old hardware to start with a clean slate. First we mounted the new Cable modem wall mount.

IMG_3074 Clean Fuse box.JPG

Added an splitter so that the modem is not connected directly to the amplifier anymore. Mounted the USG, Switch and Cloudkey onto the wall, connected everything.IMG_0375 Fuse box ready.JPG

Mounted the three UniFi AC In Wall Pro’s on every floor, connected the iMac and NAS with UTP cables:IMG_0380 In Wall ground floor.JPG

IMG_0377 In Wall Hobby room.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG In Wall Hobby room imac.JPG

Put the Cable modem in bridge mode, Configured the UniFi controller, USG, created the SSID’s, VPN, etc Reconfigured the Horionzon Mediabox so it's not included in the network anymore and disabled the wifi on it (this device realy a virus in your network!)

Unifi topology.png

Result:
All problems are gone, browsing the internet is fast now and roaming is finally working! His iMac and NAS are now connected using UTP cables via the two UniFi AC In Wall Pro Ethernet ports and making fast backups again. The kids arent complaining about Netflix anymore so mom & dad are happy also Smilielol5

At the end one more happy Ubiquiti customer/friend!

Big thank goes out to @UBNT-jeff for helping me!

{"location":{"title":"IJburg, IJburg West, Amsterdam, Netherlands","placeId":"ChIJMweGmr0OxkcRMtdVpw8Z3N4"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-in-wall-pro-wi-fi-access-point","count":3},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":1},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"When you moving to a new house you need new hardware..","mainImage":"137126iE9AAC55A2397C44B"}

Comments
by
on ‎01-03-2018 11:46 AM

Nice Work!

I really like the in wall AP's.

I have used them in a few places and yesturday I actually visited a loge in a local hockey arena where one of them are installed and when I noticed that it had over 30 users and it didn't even seem to bother it so I was a little satisfied by that.

by
on ‎01-03-2018 12:00 PM

Love those UAP-AC-IW devices! I am using 3 at home now, as they make powering an IP phone from the PoE Output port really simple. I then have the second Ethernet port on the UAP-AC-IW and the passthrough Ethernet port on the IP Phone for anything else that needs it.

Great Visio Stencils btw! Lol

by
on ‎01-04-2018 03:55 PM

This is basically my backyard Man Happy Nice work! Two questions: Your modem is bridged, are you able to access the management interface? I'm unsure if I forgot my password or if Ziggo changed access. Secondly: how is the horizon box connected to the network and do you have an extra box for the kids or bedroom? Samsung doesn't exactly follow ethernet standards which causes troubles over here. I have one AP LR on a different subnet connected to both horizon boxes but they create a separate network anyway. Far from ideal.

by
on ‎01-05-2018 12:54 AM

@FreudeAmFrankie

Thank you.

The management interface of the modem is still reachable via http://192.168.100.1 If you forgot your password you need to reset your modem to factory default.

The Horizon Mediabox XL is banned from the network, this device as a said is a virus. Its should only be used for watching tv and should do no media/wifi/dhcp etc!  

by
on ‎01-05-2018 02:31 AM

Very nice setup! Do you get full speed at 200 Mbit with the USG and some filtering? 

by
on ‎01-07-2018 12:00 PM

Hey i recognize your modem! Good thing to exclude the Horizon Box from your network! I had nothing but trouble when i had that trash box connected to my network! IMG_1337.jpg

by
on ‎01-07-2018 12:13 PM

@maxkoning Yeah this box should be discontinued by Ziggo its horrible.

I see you still using the old UPC coax cable for you modem, if i where you i should use new coax cable with a thicker copper core. Also make it shorter in length..

by
on ‎01-07-2018 12:14 PM

@samplex It indeed is horrible. Nothing but problems since i got it. My ping has increased from 5ms average to 11ms average (Monitored by pfSense) and i gets lots of packet loss all the time. Good catch on the cable, do i actually gain performance and/or stability by using a newer and shorter cable?

by
on ‎01-07-2018 12:25 PM

@maxkoning Yeah this old cable still have an thin core. Dunno what your up and down stream value's are (DB's)?

I never had 5 ms ping with cable internet, that only possible with fiber internet.

by
on ‎01-07-2018 12:26 PM

@samplex Ah, thanks for clearing that up. My previous modem was a Cisco EPC3925. Average ping was always between 6ms and 8ms in the daytime, and often 5ms in the nighttimes.