Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

10/12/2017
Full UniFi home setup New Zealand
Description

Hi,

This is my current and mostly complete UniFi setup, initially we only had UAP-LR's because of the concrete walls and the Apple Airport express's where causing many issues with android devices so we opted for Ubiquiti gear from our local computer shop http://pbtech.co.nz and it went from just AP's to a full network

Hardware:

1x USG-PRO4 (1000/500mbps Fibre Connection thru Spark NZ /Telecom NZ)

3x UAP-AC-PRO (Upgraded from UAP-LR) (about 250-380Mbps in IPerf)

1x USW-8-150W (main switch is a D-LINK DGS-1024D might upgrade to UNIFI)

1x CloudKey

Main reason that i purchased the USG-PRO over the USG is the WAN speeds dont always stay at 1Gbps but the USG-PRO handles it perfectly

Photos:DevicesDevicesCable Management could be better..Cable Management could be better..Ground Study APGround Study APFiber terminal (Chorus NZ) and USG-PRO4 BelowFiber terminal (Chorus NZ) and USG-PRO4 Below

Comments
by
on ‎10-16-2017 06:05 AM

Nice set up and great speeds from Spark, wish my VF Fibre X Would give its rated specs reliablely to my Pro 4 ( I struggle to get 400/96 on a 1000/100 plan with 42m/s latency).....have no other option though as no fibre in the street until a week or so back. Agree on PB Tech, great team - all my UBNT gear has come though them (Pro 4, 2 AP AC Pro, US16 150 and 5 Unifi UVC G3,) intend to post mine once I get it tidied up as is still a spaghetti mess at the rack - nice to see a NZ Unifi set up on the forum and to see I’m not the only Unifi Addict frequenting PB Tech 😊

by
on ‎10-16-2017 11:34 AM
Yeah the PB Wellington use the gear as well I noticed a uap-ac-lr behind the counter some months ago, they also mentioned that most of the staff have ubnt gear somewhere
Shame on Vodafone calling their DOCSIS network fiberX why couldn't they call it Cable Pro or something

At least its not like the NBN in au where the fastest plan you can get if it's available is 100mbps but usually gets overloaded
by
on ‎10-17-2017 04:21 AM

Hehe 😂 I noticed that AP-LR as well, I was in there a few months back and basically did the salesreps job for a couple who were considetong unifu but weren’t sure.....funny how a satisfied owner just wants to talk to anybody who will listen about their Unifi...

agree on the docsis 3.1 is pretty temperamental, it hates my USG with a passion, can get 700-900 down when VF test it with the crappy Huawei but as soon as I swap in the USG it drops....I reckon the signal is pretty poor on the line, going to have to see if i can get vf to swap me over now real fibre in the street as the modem loses all connection at least several times a day - it’s not like I really notice it running way below spec even with the kids etc hammering the connection but I know it’s underperforming which irks me 

by
on ‎10-17-2017 01:09 PM
Definitely switch to Fibre, the USG absolutely Flys on it with zero issues assuming you go with a 1Gbit plan

Also did not know your connection is unreliable that's just poor
by
on ‎10-17-2017 04:24 PM

Yeah been going round and round with VF saying it’s ok so been working with UBNT support thinking the USG May have issues but draw a blank as well, I think a switch to pure fibre may be the only way to confirm the USG is ok 

by
on ‎10-19-2017 02:02 PM

Did you try a USG first? I bought one used off a friend so it was cheap but I'm wondering how to see if I'm hitting the USG's PPS limit... maybe need an excuse to upgrade to the Pro Man Happy

by
on ‎10-19-2017 04:42 PM

No i did not try a USG but aparently it gets around 800-900mbps but can drop much lower if enough traffic is put thru