2 weeks ago
Home Lab
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
×1
Description

I have been working on this for the past several weeks and I think I am mostly finished. I have had a rack in my basement for the last several years that has served as my lab for several work projects and general place to screw around. I recently got the Unifi bug and well this is what I ended up with.

FinishedRack.jpgfinished product?

I am runing a Palo Alto 3020 with an Edgerouter12 behind it that I peer OSPF with for my trust subnets. Completely overkill but again this is used to lab solutions I frequently come across in my day job. Behind that I have a Unifi 48p 500w with two other 8p switches that are stashed around the house. Since I was on a quest to have everything look rack mounted I had a friend create a custom faceplace with his laser cutter out of acrylic for my cable modem that sits on a 1RU shelf and threw a little branding on for good measure.

fullrack.jpgfull rack

workinprogress.jpgwork in progress

frontcabling.jpgfront patching

rearcabling.jpgRear patch panel

Home Lab

by 2 weeks ago

I have been working on this for the past several weeks and I think I am mostly finished. I have had a rack in my basement for the last several years that has served as my lab for several work projects and general place to screw around. I recently got the Unifi bug and well this is what I ended up with.

I am runing a Palo Alto 3020 with an Edgerouter12 behind it that I peer OSPF with for my trust subnets. Completely overkill but again this is used to lab solutions I frequently come across in my day job. Behind that I have a Unifi 48p 500w with two other 8p switches that are stashed around the house. Since I was on a quest to have everything look rack mounted I had a friend create a custom faceplace with his laser cutter out of acrylic for my cable modem that sits on a 1RU shelf and threw a little branding on for good measure.

fullrack.jpgfull rack

workinprogress.jpgwork in progress

frontcabling.jpgfront patching

rearcabling.jpgRear patch panel

{"location":{"title":"Utah, USA","placeId":"ChIJzfkTj8drTIcRP0bXbKVK370"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifiswitch-48-500w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key-gen2-plus","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"197670i20ACA7BDD1553571"}

Comments
by
2 weeks ago

Fancy. 

What do you use to label your cables?

by
2 weeks ago

they are serialized/barcoded from the manufacturer.

by
2 weeks ago

@demonmaestro 

I have had great luck with these. You can find in smaller quantities if desired.

by
2 weeks ago

You wouldn’t be happy to share the cable modem file would you? I’ve been on the hunt for one!

by
a week ago

@demonmaestro Check out the Rhino or Brother label makers, I get the heat shrink tubing (with clear over top to protect the print) and/or "durable vinyl" labels.  Mine's a Rhino5000

by
Saturday

Absolutely jealous because of the UCK CKG2 RM option Man Happy  (I hope this will be available in Europe very soon!)

I really like how you created the RM for the modem, looks nice.

by
Saturday

Here is a link to the adobe illustrator file for the faceplate.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QWdhf-gl-cTXF_gq2_xGAg3I2EwQJhWS/view?usp=drivesdk

by
Sunday

Hello,

Nice Job and very neat patch! Man Happy A question that I always have when I see a Unifi Switch patched like this is how do you identify the switch port. What I mean by this is that you have in this case dulicate port numbers from the patch panel perspective. 

Unifi Switches physical ports are not label like Cisco, Port number 2 is below port number 1, port number 3 is next to port 1 and on top of port number 4 and on. So, on your top Patch Panel you are patching port 1 to port 1 of the switch and port 2 to port 3 of the switch what make me belive that somewhere on the controller configuration your are adjusting this phase shift (Port labels maybe?) or I am missing something that I don't know.
I actualIy prefer your way of patching (short patch cords) than the one I am using. I will appreciate if you could share this tip!

Thank You,

by
Sunday

I am not sure what you mean by “not label like Cisco”. My Cisco, Brocade, Juniper, UBNT, etc 1RU switches all follow the same pattern. As for the patch panel labeling you are correct the numbers on a 1RU patch panel will not line up with a 48 port switch. In a small rack like this it would be ideal to have them match up but I just ignore them. I have seen people sand these off and repaint them with no numbers or create new labels to match the port number. This isn’t super important to me as I am used to patch panel numbers not matching in large network racks, the patch number on the label typically matches the far end label like a server cabinet or desk number.  

by
yesterday - last edited 16 hours ago

Very nice and neat setup. What leghth are the patch cables? Did you buy them or make them?