×4
×1
×1
×1
×1
×3
×1
Description

So, pretty much finished getting all set up and have been loving the other Home Network install posts, so I thought I would add mine. Both since I was proud of it (no network training or anything, so this was is a fun hobby) and because I am open to advice!

I came from California and had a bear of a time with my network. I had literally gone through 14+ routers, most of which I either returned or kept and resold. About 3 years of headaches. I tried Mesh (Google WiFi, Luma, Eero), alien-powered routers (the huge AC5400 big-boys; Asus, Linksys, TP-Link), and a lot of run of the mill routers (Synology, Nighthawks, Airport Extreme). All with mixed results. Some would have excellent range but had crappy features, some were rock solid in performance but terrible range or other issues, but they almost all had the same issue; constant interference with my Hue lights and Sonos speakers.

Now, as I mentioned, I have no network training and a ton of the issues at the beginning were likely my fault (placement, proximity issues, and so on). Many thanks to some of the companies that tried to help me (Luma in particular).

Anyway, I work for a large wireless carrier and one of my customers in the public safety space mentioned I should try Ubiquiti. I did and it was awesome. It was daunting at first, and I still remember having the USG and an AP-HD sitting on my floor and I was signed into Unifi wondering "what the hell do I do here?!" Ha ha.

I got that house all situated, but it was full-on rookie status and looked awful. We have since moved to Colorado and a nice newer house and my network has ballooned out here because everything is set up great and is working. As things became more awesome, I would get excited for more IoT things! I love it! My wife, not so much.

I wanted to make this house as future proof as possible at the moment, since we will be here forever. Man Wink

• Comcast; 1 Gbps Down, 40 Mbps Up
    • I average 550Mbps - 650Mbps down from anywhere in the house
    • We always hit the very low Upload celing anywhere
    • Arris Surfboard SB8200
  • All Unifi hardware
  • Currently, 113 connected clients is my high, with an average of about 103 when everyone is home
  • USG, 4 x AP-HDs, 6 x Switches
  • 3 VLANs (Sonos, IoT, Cameras)
  • CloudKey Gen 2+
  • 19 Sonos Products
  • 3 G3 Micros
  • 3 G3 Flex
  • 10 Amcrest Cameras
  • A few TVs
  • 5 Chromecasts
  • Miscellaneous IoT Stuff
    • Tons of Kasa products (Love their plugs, very solid)
    • Rachio
    • Nest Products
    • Chamberlain MyQ Garage Door Opener
    • LG Fride
    • 2 Smart Feeders for my dogs
    • Sensor Push Temperature/Humidty Monitor
    • Even our Cooktop is connected!
  • CAT5e was run already (6 drops)
  • CAT6 has been run by me (26 drops)
  • Mac Mini for Plex
  • 2 TerraMaster DAS filled with 8TB drives
  • Running Unifi Protect

There were CAT5e drops in the house in the main portion of the home, which was nice! However, once things got settled, I went nuts and ran two drops to every room in the house, and some of the larger rooms, I would run 2 extra. The house is split into two distinct sections, with my home office above the 4 car garage so I ran 6 to that room in particular since it would house my workstation. Running 6 cables was just as hard as running 2 so to me, it made more since in case I ever had a need for another Home Run connection that might be needed. In hindsight, that was smart as I ended up having 2 more POE runs that benefited from that without needing to have injectors in place or another POE switch. Neato!

I have a Plex server on a Mac Mini that many of my family in 3 different countries can sign into to see all our home movies that I got off VHS to digital, along with some other content as well like music and photos.

Sonos was super finicky and didn't handle the square footage of the home well on the SonosNet wireless network they deploy, so hardwiring each Sonos speaker (a few paired exceptions) made the system far more reliable. Works perfect now, and I love it on it's own VLAN.

Suervelliance is just a fun hobby for me, and it started as a way to train my dogs (which worked very well). It's now likely gone overboard like my whole network, but they were all Amcrest cameras until I recently got the Protect system set up for all outdoor cameras. Great solution, and I love Ubiquiti's app for Protect.

Anyway, I hope someone finds it fun to read this, as I have found it fun to read everyone else's posts! I love this hobby, and look forward to learning more in the future! I had upgraded from my 24 port switch to a 48 Port swtich, so I have to do something to fill up those unused ports! Ha ha.

Take care everyone!

----------------------------

20180913_103537.jpgRan CAT6 everywhere

IMG_1193.jpgPlex and Sonos together are outstanding

IMG_1194.jpgAP-HD in the Living Space (the only wall-mounted unit, out of necessity....I am not talented enough to get the cabling to the ceiling there)

IMG_1195.jpgInstalled from the attic....my wife was awesome for dragging the cable around up there!

IMG_1196.jpgDogs at their automatic IoT dog food feeders. Flex above for making sure they don't share!

IMG_1200.jpgAP-HD in the office/game room

IMG_1202.jpgClose up in the basement

IMG_1206.jpgRack in the basement

IMG_1207.jpgA Flex mounted outside

IMG_1208.jpgAdded a cool LED array for help in the large yard

IMG_1209.jpgPut a Micro here....needed it due to the wide angle (wish they would make a Flex-like camera with the 120* lens)

20180915_121502.jpgMy awesome wife up in the attic! She spliced a network cable, and installed a keystone! We practiced a few downstairs before she went up there. Super cool!

IMG_20181130_112903.jpgMy workstation in the office above the garage

20180913_145457.jpgRight when I got the rack and my first patch panel

IMG_20181014_101924-EFFECTS.jpgHere's our new beautiful house. The Game Room and Office are above the garage.

20180827_155145.jpgAP-HD mounted in the porch ceiling

Home Network Install; From A Tiny Unifi House To A Large Unifi House

by 4 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

So, pretty much finished getting all set up and have been loving the other Home Network install posts, so I thought I would add mine. Both since I was proud of it (no network training or anything, so this was is a fun hobby) and because I am open to advice!

I came from California and had a bear of a time with my network. I had literally gone through 14+ routers, most of which I either returned or kept and resold. About 3 years of headaches. I tried Mesh (Google WiFi, Luma, Eero), alien-powered routers (the huge AC5400 big-boys; Asus, Linksys, TP-Link), and a lot of run of the mill routers (Synology, Nighthawks, Airport Extreme). All with mixed results. Some would have excellent range but had crappy features, some were rock solid in performance but terrible range or other issues, but they almost all had the same issue; constant interference with my Hue lights and Sonos speakers.

Now, as I mentioned, I have no network training and a ton of the issues at the beginning were likely my fault (placement, proximity issues, and so on). Many thanks to some of the companies that tried to help me (Luma in particular).

Anyway, I work for a large wireless carrier and one of my customers in the public safety space mentioned I should try Ubiquiti. I did and it was awesome. It was daunting at first, and I still remember having the USG and an AP-HD sitting on my floor and I was signed into Unifi wondering "what the hell do I do here?!" Ha ha.

I got that house all situated, but it was full-on rookie status and looked awful. We have since moved to Colorado and a nice newer house and my network has ballooned out here because everything is set up great and is working. As things became more awesome, I would get excited for more IoT things! I love it! My wife, not so much.

I wanted to make this house as future proof as possible at the moment, since we will be here forever. Man Wink

• Comcast; 1 Gbps Down, 40 Mbps Up
    • I average 550Mbps - 650Mbps down from anywhere in the house
    • We always hit the very low Upload celing anywhere
    • Arris Surfboard SB8200
  • All Unifi hardware
  • Currently, 113 connected clients is my high, with an average of about 103 when everyone is home
  • USG, 4 x AP-HDs, 6 x Switches
  • 3 VLANs (Sonos, IoT, Cameras)
  • CloudKey Gen 2+
  • 19 Sonos Products
  • 3 G3 Micros
  • 3 G3 Flex
  • 10 Amcrest Cameras
  • A few TVs
  • 5 Chromecasts
  • Miscellaneous IoT Stuff
    • Tons of Kasa products (Love their plugs, very solid)
    • Rachio
    • Nest Products
    • Chamberlain MyQ Garage Door Opener
    • LG Fride
    • 2 Smart Feeders for my dogs
    • Sensor Push Temperature/Humidty Monitor
    • Even our Cooktop is connected!
  • CAT5e was run already (6 drops)
  • CAT6 has been run by me (26 drops)
  • Mac Mini for Plex
  • 2 TerraMaster DAS filled with 8TB drives
  • Running Unifi Protect

There were CAT5e drops in the house in the main portion of the home, which was nice! However, once things got settled, I went nuts and ran two drops to every room in the house, and some of the larger rooms, I would run 2 extra. The house is split into two distinct sections, with my home office above the 4 car garage so I ran 6 to that room in particular since it would house my workstation. Running 6 cables was just as hard as running 2 so to me, it made more since in case I ever had a need for another Home Run connection that might be needed. In hindsight, that was smart as I ended up having 2 more POE runs that benefited from that without needing to have injectors in place or another POE switch. Neato!

I have a Plex server on a Mac Mini that many of my family in 3 different countries can sign into to see all our home movies that I got off VHS to digital, along with some other content as well like music and photos.

Sonos was super finicky and didn't handle the square footage of the home well on the SonosNet wireless network they deploy, so hardwiring each Sonos speaker (a few paired exceptions) made the system far more reliable. Works perfect now, and I love it on it's own VLAN.

Suervelliance is just a fun hobby for me, and it started as a way to train my dogs (which worked very well). It's now likely gone overboard like my whole network, but they were all Amcrest cameras until I recently got the Protect system set up for all outdoor cameras. Great solution, and I love Ubiquiti's app for Protect.

Anyway, I hope someone finds it fun to read this, as I have found it fun to read everyone else's posts! I love this hobby, and look forward to learning more in the future! I had upgraded from my 24 port switch to a 48 Port swtich, so I have to do something to fill up those unused ports! Ha ha.

Take care everyone!

----------------------------

20180913_103537.jpgRan CAT6 everywhere

IMG_1193.jpgPlex and Sonos together are outstanding

IMG_1194.jpgAP-HD in the Living Space (the only wall-mounted unit, out of necessity....I am not talented enough to get the cabling to the ceiling there)

IMG_1195.jpgInstalled from the attic....my wife was awesome for dragging the cable around up there!

IMG_1196.jpgDogs at their automatic IoT dog food feeders. Flex above for making sure they don't share!

IMG_1200.jpgAP-HD in the office/game room

IMG_1202.jpgClose up in the basement

IMG_1206.jpgRack in the basement

IMG_1207.jpgA Flex mounted outside

IMG_1208.jpgAdded a cool LED array for help in the large yard

IMG_1209.jpgPut a Micro here....needed it due to the wide angle (wish they would make a Flex-like camera with the 120* lens)

20180915_121502.jpgMy awesome wife up in the attic! She spliced a network cable, and installed a keystone! We practiced a few downstairs before she went up there. Super cool!

IMG_20181130_112903.jpgMy workstation in the office above the garage

20180913_145457.jpgRight when I got the rack and my first patch panel

IMG_20181014_101924-EFFECTS.jpgHere's our new beautiful house. The Game Room and Office are above the garage.

20180827_155145.jpgAP-HD mounted in the porch ceiling

{"location":{"title":"Denver, CO, USA","placeId":"ChIJzxcfI6qAa4cR1jaKJ_j0jhE"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-hd","count":4},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key-gen2-plus","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-48","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-24","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-beta","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":3},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"196097i282BF30E1C9BDF62"}

Comments
by
4 weeks ago

great work! 

must cost you 5k+ for all that.

by
4 weeks ago

Thanks!

The cost? Uh, I have done a wonderful job of being completely oblivious to the actual total cost. Ha ha!!!

by
4 weeks ago

@Konolua couple of questions. The flood light that looks for infrared light for the cameras. Where did you get that?

Next question. The tablet you have in the middle of your screens what is that on there?

by
4 weeks ago

The LED Array I got from Amazon. It's great!

https://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR110-114-Outdoor-200-300ft-Illuminator/dp/B003ZX1M88

I have a number of Android tablets around the house with Sonos widgets, Hue Light widgets, and access to some of the cameras. They also tell the time and do other stuff depending on where they are. 

by
3 weeks ago

Data and power? you can't mix those

by
3 weeks ago

Can you elaborate? Safety issues? Performance issues?

by
3 weeks ago

Mixing line voltage and low voltage is a safety issue and may be a code violation. You need to have a gang box that is separated for line voltage and low voltage. They have a piece of plastic that separates the two sides. The ones I got were between 2 and 6 gangs and included a divider that I could place wherever I wanted. In my case, I put low voltage audio controls as the last gang in the boxes next to the divider.

One example is:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-2-Gang-Blue-Non-Metallic-Dual-Voltage-Box-Bracket-SC200DVR/100146...

I can't find the ones I used, but that was years ago.

by
3 weeks ago

Looks good.  I'm just concerned about having your network wiring in the same box as the romex for your 110.  you should have used a special box, that seperates the two.

Great job though!

by
3 weeks ago

Already bought the new gang boxes! Compliance in 3 days.

I have 2 locations where I had power on the left, and data on the right.

by
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Flex camera next to the gutter is suppost to be protected by an overhang, by at least 6 or 8".

Edit:

Yep.. I was kinda right my numbers where off a bit...

Outdoor Installation Requirements

IMPORTANT: When installed outdoors, the camera must be installed in the upright postion only.

Mounting location should be at least 60cm (2ft) from the edge of the eave or ceiling.

Mount the camera in the upright position only. Please see diagram below.

Shielded Category 5e (or above) cabling with drain wire should be used for all outdoor wired Ethernet connections and should be grounded through the AC ground of the PoE.