×1
×1
×1
×1
×2
×1
Description

Hi guys

I've been a lurker for quite some time now so thought I'd share my experience with Ubiquiti Products. I've been using them for the last 3 years or so. Currently, I work at a small ISP in Cape Town South Africa. We deploy a large amount of Ubiquiti and MikroTik equipment.

My home network started very small, then expanded. This of course affects some of the equipment choice (primarily my 24 port switch - in hindsight I should have got the PoE model.) 

My primary internet connection is a 1000/25 GPON fibre connection via an open access Network called Octotel. Unfortunately they do not offer higher upload speeds on their Gigabit Fibre lines (perhaps a better idea on GPON.)

My Core router is a RB4011iGS+RM. This has a static WAN IP. I then have a routed /29 range giving out addresses via 1 of my bridges. My USG (which runs my internal network), a RIPE Atlas Probe, and a Yealink W60P have static reservations on the MikroTik. Additionally, I have a wall point in my living room that will recieve a public address via DHCP. 

My core equipment is housed in a Linkbasic 9U cabinet. This houses a CAT6 patch panel, a US 24 switch, USG, US 8 60w Switch (Used for 3 x G3 bullet cams and a G3 Flex), Cloud Key Gen2 Plus, a Raspberry Pi running Pihole (for select devices), a Ripe Atlas Probe, and a 2000VAS UPS. The provider's ONT (Dasan H665) is situated in my bedroom at the front of the house where the fibre terminates. This is remotely powered via PoE injector and splitter and a Cat6 cable run to the cabinet. This bugged me initially (was before the network ambitions), but I've grown to like it. If there is a problem with the fibre I can easily see LED status without needing to get a ladder and look in the cabinet. The SFP module connected to the 24 port switch is purely for Dude Monitoring on the 4011 - entirely unnecessary, but if not, why not. 

For WIFi I use an AC AP Pro - situated at the junction point in my house, and an AP AC Lite - situated in my study, along with the other US 8 60w Switch. I have 2 unmanaged 8 port Tenda GB switches in my lounge and bedroom respectively. 

Most of my cabelling is the Ubiquiti CAT6 white cable. I ran out when adding 3 G3 cameras though - so that is just generic grey cat6 solid core copper in PVC conduit piping. The 3 G3 cameras I will be adding the IR extensions to soon.

My Network is by no means perfect and I'm by no means an expert, but I sure had fun Man Happy

20190430_190609.jpg

20190501_122845.jpg

20190501_122859.jpg

20190501_122920.jpg

20190501_122927.jpg

20190501_122943.jpg

20190501_123002.jpg

20190501_123027.jpg

20190501_123039.jpg

20190501_125908.jpg

Home Network in Cape Town

by 3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

Hi guys

I've been a lurker for quite some time now so thought I'd share my experience with Ubiquiti Products. I've been using them for the last 3 years or so. Currently, I work at a small ISP in Cape Town South Africa. We deploy a large amount of Ubiquiti and MikroTik equipment.

My home network started very small, then expanded. This of course affects some of the equipment choice (primarily my 24 port switch - in hindsight I should have got the PoE model.) 

My primary internet connection is a 1000/25 GPON fibre connection via an open access Network called Octotel. Unfortunately they do not offer higher upload speeds on their Gigabit Fibre lines (perhaps a better idea on GPON.)

My Core router is a RB4011iGS+RM. This has a static WAN IP. I then have a routed /29 range giving out addresses via 1 of my bridges. My USG (which runs my internal network), a RIPE Atlas Probe, and a Yealink W60P have static reservations on the MikroTik. Additionally, I have a wall point in my living room that will recieve a public address via DHCP. 

My core equipment is housed in a Linkbasic 9U cabinet. This houses a CAT6 patch panel, a US 24 switch, USG, US 8 60w Switch (Used for 3 x G3 bullet cams and a G3 Flex), Cloud Key Gen2 Plus, a Raspberry Pi running Pihole (for select devices), a Ripe Atlas Probe, and a 2000VAS UPS. The provider's ONT (Dasan H665) is situated in my bedroom at the front of the house where the fibre terminates. This is remotely powered via PoE injector and splitter and a Cat6 cable run to the cabinet. This bugged me initially (was before the network ambitions), but I've grown to like it. If there is a problem with the fibre I can easily see LED status without needing to get a ladder and look in the cabinet. The SFP module connected to the 24 port switch is purely for Dude Monitoring on the 4011 - entirely unnecessary, but if not, why not. 

For WIFi I use an AC AP Pro - situated at the junction point in my house, and an AP AC Lite - situated in my study, along with the other US 8 60w Switch. I have 2 unmanaged 8 port Tenda GB switches in my lounge and bedroom respectively. 

Most of my cabelling is the Ubiquiti CAT6 white cable. I ran out when adding 3 G3 cameras though - so that is just generic grey cat6 solid core copper in PVC conduit piping. The 3 G3 cameras I will be adding the IR extensions to soon.

My Network is by no means perfect and I'm by no means an expert, but I sure had fun Man Happy

20190430_190609.jpg

20190501_122845.jpg

20190501_122859.jpg

20190501_122920.jpg

20190501_122927.jpg

20190501_122943.jpg

20190501_123002.jpg

20190501_123027.jpg

20190501_123039.jpg

20190501_125908.jpg

{"location":{"title":"Claremont, Cape Town, South Africa","placeId":"ChIJy6eBIMVCzB0RrC7ooJDc-3k"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-lite","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-24","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":2},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key-gen2-plus","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"204139iC559F41C387BBFE5"}

Comments
by
2 weeks ago

Looks to be very well done - congratulations!  

by
2 weeks ago

Lakker

by
2 weeks ago

Enclosed cabinets look fantastic, but that appears to be in a closet.  Little worried about cooling.  I would consider removing the front/sides.

by
a week ago

Thats a fantastic install. 

Im from durban myself and only recently stumbled on the ubnt forums as im about to start my own home install. You seem to have done what im about to start so your probably the best person to ask question from. If thats okay.

Why do you have the cameras mounted on what looks like a junktion box instead of directly on the wall?

I plan to use 2 or 3 of the G3/pros and was curious to whether or not i needed the NVR.

I plan to get the Gen2 + cloud key which has a 1TB drive and the Unifi protect software, will this act as a NVR as well as a controller?

Or do i need to budget for their NVR as well?
I do have a 12TB buffalo NAS and i still cant find out if i can save recordings to this as well.

by
a week ago

Hi @mega-byte

Thank you. Sure, no problem. Happy to answer questions.

Regarding wall boxes (4x4), not at all necessary. just the route I chose to take. If I ever change the camera to a different model, I simply replace the faceplate. Also gives me some extra slack on the cable in the event that I need to recrimp the cable. I also didn't use outdoor cable for my own install - so I used PVC piping. I overspecced everything so you by no means have to do that. I would however reccomend using outdoor cable and solid core copper if possible (not CCA.) You don't really need to use CAT 6. G3 Cameras are only 10/100 in any case. Would reccomend the IR extensions if going with the g3 bullet cameras. They work quite well.

UniFI have 2 different NVR solutions. UniFi Video and UniFi Protect. UniFi Protect at current only works on the Cloud Key Gen2 plus. UniFi Video on the other hand you can install on just about anything, just make sure you spec your NVR accordingly.  UniFi Protect does not have all the features of UniFi Video. Somewhat of a work in progress. Also, as far as I know, the new g4 pro cameras are only supported by Protect (at least their documentation alludes to such). As of yet you can't point to a different storage location in UniFi Protect (don't quote me on this though). You can however change the included HDD in the cloud key to a SSD/HDD up to 5TB. It does support the really thick 2.5" SATA HDDS.

For large scale deployments I wouldn't say Protect in its current state is ideal. For Home I find it works great though. Super simple to set up. The apps are great. Apple TV, Android TV, iOS, Android are all supported. I've been using the app on android, android TV, and iOS. Remote management is fantastic, and again, really easy to set up. I've done a similar camera install at my mother's house and my sister's house, and they've both been working great. If you plan on the full UniFi ecosytem, I would definitely reccomend them. 

For me what set the UnIFi system apart from the others is the integration with almost all their products. They're all easy to use, and the end user support is easy. Their apps are fantastic. I'm confident even reccomending them to non tech savvy people. I'm also keen to see what the future holds regarding Protect

by
a week ago

@arkive I normally Keep the side panels off. Pictures just for illustrative purposes.

by
a week ago

Thank you so much for the detailed response. (far better than I’ve gotten from any rep I’ve I spoken to so far.)
Like yourself I’ve been using unifi for several years but only the Wi-Fi AP side of things. Running the controller on a server that’s always up and accessible.
However this is for my home so I don’t want to have to leave my laptop running or get a server just for the controller software.
The website is a little misleading as I didn’t know there were two different video apps. I assumed Protect was it Man Sad

If you don’t mind me asking, what feature does Video have that protect doesn’t that you have missed?
My aim is to have the APs, Cameras and switches at my home, Upgrade my parents wifi to 3x nanoHDs and the 8 port (60w) poe switch and be able to manage it from a single cloud key remotely.

A recent spate of break-ins in the area was what made me look into the camera side of things. So if I go for the Gen2 + key I won’t have to worry about specking or getting a separate NVR or DVR ( that’s what first made me want ubnt cctv lol).

by
a week ago

Hi there. 

I agree, it can be a little confusing. As per their documentation they label it as a "evolution" rather than direct replacement of UniFi Video. They seem to be shifting direction. What I think is they are trying to move in the direction of only having protect on their hardware, which I can understand to an extent. Easier to support when they control more of the variables. They also have an x86 based NVR that runs UniFi Video. Has a VGA port, USB 3 port etc. I think they may have suspended sales, or at least I can't find it in SA anymore. At my previous company I set up 3 of them and connected larger 3.5" external USB hdds to them. They've said that UniFi Video will continue to recieve security updates etc and support all g3 cams. However, now they've just launched the g4 Pro cams. Which are 4k. I can understand their shift in direction, but do feel they should launch Protect for their older NVRs. They will also need a plan for large scale deployments. One could always use other open source NVR software but that's honestly more hassle than it's worth and goes against the fundemental point of it being user friendly. With protect, you can be the admin and then just give other people read access and so on. I'd want to have a ckg2+ per site though if using cameras at each site. I haven't tested managing remote cameras via cloud key. Not sure if that would be the best idea. The idea behind it is hybrid cloud. Local storage, cloud access. On my own cloud key I manage my own unifi network, as well as my Protect camera setup. I also manage a few other people's APs on their own respective sites. I have a domain that points to my static IP. So I can access the controller via cloud login or direct access. I have port forwards pointing towards the cloud key. I give the people whose sites I manage a login to their own site, both direct access and cloud access. Most people would just use the cloud access. Also, technically these are IP cameras and not CCTV.

Regarding features. Protect does not have motion only recording as of me typing this, some other very specific features are also not available yet. As per Ubnt, this will come in time. I hadn't used UniFi Video to the fullest extent, but I do know there definitely isn't feature parity with protect. Protect also does not have local streaming yet (again don't quote me). So even if on same LAN it pulls through cloud. 

Cloud key can be powered via PoE or via qualcomm quick charge 2/3 USB type C. Can have both and have some form of failover (I had thoughts of a larger power bank). Unit also has a small battery that enables it to shut down safely when power is lost.

I'd strongly suggest looking at YouTube - There are a number of handy guides from some of the big-ish Networking  channels. 

by
Wednesday

@justinavenantreally great install!

Starting something similar to yours at a new home address, so busy acquiring pieces to the puzzle currently Smiley Happy

I'm also on Octotel GPON and I noticed you have a little funky PoE injector DC power source for the Dasan ONT.

Where did you purchase that? And is it powered via 24v passive PoE/ 802.3af or 802.3at PoE?

I have a PoE enabled Ubnt switch, so hoping to run a CAT6 cable from port 24 into the ONT, that then converts over to the little DC plug.

Would be great to get rid of the DC wall plug.

by
Wednesday

Hi @sa-renze Thank you Man Happy

Regarding the ONT, all I am essentially doing is extending the power cable via CAT6 solid core cable. The Poe Injector and splitter set I purchased from a well known Network supplier (not sure if I can mention here)- can PM me?. I'm not actually using the PoE data funtion of it (you'd be limited to 100mb and I have a GB line). The uplink cable is seperate. 

The set has a RJ45 socket -> Barrel male and RJ45 , the other part is the same, but with a barrel socket and RJ45. I clipped off the male RJ45 connectors as I am not using the DATA functionality.  If you had a 100mb line you could get away with using it on its own, and not have 2 cables going to the ONT.

This is useful for me as the ONT then also gets UPS backup with the rest of the Network, without needing its own UPS. The Octotel Network also has backup power (all nodes)

The Dasan ONT PSU is plugged in in the cabinet.