a week ago
Home UniFi with XFINITY Gigabit
Reason for Installation
Had spotty and unreliable WiFi before so made the switch to UniFi along with XFINITY Gigabit. Have not been disappointed.
Used Products
×2
×1
×1
×1
×1
707-731 NW Ironside Terrace, Portland, OR 97209, USA
Description

Here's all the pictures I've got. As a basic breakdown we've got two AP-Pros inside the house and a mesh point outside to cover the backyard primarily for AirPlay to the outdoor speakers though the AirPort Express. Network is divided into three networks. SanmanWiFi is general devices and is 5ghz only, SanmanIOT is a 2.4ghz network for all the deives that requite it (largely IOT devices- NanoLeaf Aurora, Honeywell Thermostat, printer, etc.), and SanmanGuest which is just a guest network with portal enabled. I've included pictures of most of the ethernet ports. Over time I plan on adding attional ports to the house as needed. Post any questions below, I'll answer the best I can. See the photo captions for no info... they're in no particular order.

IMG_3498.JPGTV port going into Apple TV- which is a 100mbps port for whatever reason

IMG_3490.JPGDish coax and Ethernet into room above garage

IMG_3489.JPGAirPort express connected simple for AirPlay capability since we are largely an Apple device home

IMG_3488.PNGAverage 180-300mbps down on the APs depending what device you test. This test was on an iPhone SE.

IMG_3487.PNGStandard network is configered to be 5ghz only, all smart IoT devices that only support 2.4ghz are on the IoT network which is really the same network just 2.4ghz.

IMG_3027.JPGOutdoor AP under eave

IMG_3052.JPGInstall of ethernet port above garage

IMG_3477.JPGPDU/patch panel/24 port 250W switch/Netgear DOCSIS 3.1 modem/CK

IMG_3478.JPGUSG and CK sitting on top of the switch

IMG_3480.JPGRack sitting on shelf above water heater, decided to not screw to the wall so things could be more accessible

IMG_3481.JPGBonus room above garage port/Dish Net Coax

IMG_3482.JPGLivin Room Ethernet port

IMG_3483.JPGLiving Room AP

IMG_3484.JPGHallway AP

IMG_3486.JPGEthernet port

IMG_3497.JPGEthernet out/Comcast coax into attic

IMG_3495.JPGNew line the Comcast guy ran

IMG_3494.JPGBeautiful cable management by Comcast and Dish Network

IMG_3491.JPGEthernet out/Comcast coax line into attic

Screenshot (3).pngAll networks (USG running L2TP VPN server)

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).pngStandard dashboard view

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).pngStandard amount of clints on the network minus a few

Home UniFi with XFINITY Gigabit

by a week ago - last edited a week ago

Here's all the pictures I've got. As a basic breakdown we've got two AP-Pros inside the house and a mesh point outside to cover the backyard primarily for AirPlay to the outdoor speakers though the AirPort Express. Network is divided into three networks. SanmanWiFi is general devices and is 5ghz only, SanmanIOT is a 2.4ghz network for all the deives that requite it (largely IOT devices- NanoLeaf Aurora, Honeywell Thermostat, printer, etc.), and SanmanGuest which is just a guest network with portal enabled. I've included pictures of most of the ethernet ports. Over time I plan on adding attional ports to the house as needed. Post any questions below, I'll answer the best I can. See the photo captions for no info... they're in no particular order.

IMG_3498.JPGTV port going into Apple TV- which is a 100mbps port for whatever reason

IMG_3490.JPGDish coax and Ethernet into room above garage

IMG_3489.JPGAirPort express connected simple for AirPlay capability since we are largely an Apple device home

IMG_3488.PNGAverage 180-300mbps down on the APs depending what device you test. This test was on an iPhone SE.

IMG_3487.PNGStandard network is configered to be 5ghz only, all smart IoT devices that only support 2.4ghz are on the IoT network which is really the same network just 2.4ghz.

IMG_3027.JPGOutdoor AP under eave

IMG_3052.JPGInstall of ethernet port above garage

IMG_3477.JPGPDU/patch panel/24 port 250W switch/Netgear DOCSIS 3.1 modem/CK

IMG_3478.JPGUSG and CK sitting on top of the switch

IMG_3480.JPGRack sitting on shelf above water heater, decided to not screw to the wall so things could be more accessible

IMG_3481.JPGBonus room above garage port/Dish Net Coax

IMG_3482.JPGLivin Room Ethernet port

IMG_3483.JPGLiving Room AP

IMG_3484.JPGHallway AP

IMG_3486.JPGEthernet port

IMG_3497.JPGEthernet out/Comcast coax into attic

IMG_3495.JPGNew line the Comcast guy ran

IMG_3494.JPGBeautiful cable management by Comcast and Dish Network

IMG_3491.JPGEthernet out/Comcast coax line into attic

Screenshot (3).pngAll networks (USG running L2TP VPN server)

Screenshot (4).png

Screenshot (5).pngStandard dashboard view

Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).pngStandard amount of clints on the network minus a few

{"location":{"title":"Marquam Bridge, Portland, OR 97202, USA","placeId":"ChIJ_0nhuXIKlVQRtSM-tWokmho"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":2},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifiswitch-24-250w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"We used to use some Netgear router with an extender and got sick of it dropping out. Decided to go UniFi for reliability as multiple people work from home in the household. Shortly after installation we upgraded to XFINITY Gigabit so the ethernet network now gets a lot more use and am planning to expand it. ","mainImage":"152289i20F81BB00DEACDFD"}

{"location":{"title":"Marquam Bridge, Portland, OR 97202, USA","placeId":"ChIJ_0nhuXIKlVQRtSM-tWokmho"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":2},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifiswitch-24-250w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"We used to use some Netgear router with an extender and got sick of it dropping out. Decided to go UniFi for reliability as multiple people work from home in the household. Shortly after installation we upgraded to XFINITY Gigabit so the ethernet network now gets a lot more use and am planning to expand it. ","mainImage":"152289i20F81BB00DEACDFD"}

{"location":{"title":"2301-2303 SE Washington St, Milwaukie, OR 97222, USA","placeId":"EjQyMzAxLTIzMDMgU0UgV2FzaGluZ3RvbiBTdCwgTWlsd2F1a2llLCBPUiA5NzIyMiwgVVNB"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ap-pro","count":2},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":1},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifiswitch-24-250w","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"Nothing special... Had slow WiFi before and wanted an upgrade. Along the way moved to XFINITY Gigabit.","mainImage":"152289i20F81BB00DEACDFD"}

{"location":{"title":""},"addedProducts":[],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"152307i765550603162388B"}

{"location":{"title":"1204 SE Ash St, Portland, OR 97214, USA","placeId":"ChIJre1Q96SglVQR1CrKW-Qvru8"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifiswitch-24-250w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":2},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"Had spotty and unreliable WiFi before so made the switch to UniFi along with XFINITY Gigabit. Have not been disappointed. ","mainImage":"152307i765550603162388B"}

{"location":{"title":"707-731 NW Ironside Terrace, Portland, OR 97209, USA","placeId":"EjQ3MDctNzMxIE5XIElyb25zaWRlIFRlcnJhY2UsIFBvcnRsYW5kLCBPUiA5NzIwOSwgVVNB"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":2},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":1},{"id":"unifiswitch-24-250w","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"Had spotty and unreliable WiFi before so made the switch to UniFi along with XFINITY Gigabit. Have not been disappointed.\n","mainImage":"152289i20F81BB00DEACDFD"}

Comments
by
a week ago

What type of speakers are you using outside also are they powered by poe

by
a week ago

@Ifixtek Nothing special just standard outdoor rated bookshelf speakers that are wired into an amplifier inside that the AirPort express audio output goes into.

by
Sunday

Why are the speeds only 183/41.8 if you're supposed to have gigabit?

by
Monday

@itechzpcs That's a limit of the AC-PRO. I can only get about 200 max on mine, it's the radio / chipset. If I connect to my AC-HD I get well over 550. If I take copper I get close to 950. 

by
Monday

@schmittg Oh ok, didn't know that. Thanks for the info. I use a UAP-AC-HD and didn't know that the pro had that limitation.

by
Monday

@itechzpcs your welcome. You can super fine tweak the settings and get up to about 220 maybe 230, but thats where it ends. at first I was like NO WAY, but lets be honest, what are you doing on a phone or tablet that needs more than 200Mbps throughput? I was super bothered by it at first, but I really don't need that much bandwidth. Both my VM host and NAS have 10 gig nics in them, and they are the only real traffic creators. A couple netflix or plex streams are more than capable at even 100 Mbps. 

by
Monday

@schmittg @itechzpcs Yea... 200ish Mbps is more than enough for most general things. Anything above I'd say about 150 is not very noticeable. Over Ethernet I get between 850-900 depending on the day/device.

by
Monday - last edited Monday

ECFE0B6F-CFDE-46BC-B0A8-273F7A7C4BF1.png

Someone else in the house just got 340ish on WiFi with a 2016 i7 Spectre x360.... Impressive. @schmittg. Presume 180-200 is just a limit of my iPhone SE.

by
Monday

@sanmane and with that many tabs open? Now that impressive!

On a side note, I am amazed. I couldn't get about 250 with my 2017 rMBP which is 4x4 MIMO at a range of about 10 feet from the AP. Swapped the AC-Pro with a HD, and boom, night and day. There was another post I believe in the beta forums end of last year about the AC-Pro and its "limits", maybe new firmware has helped the issue since they dug up the chipset specs and it "should" do up to like 500. Maybe I'll have to try it again and see if I get similar results. 

by
Monday

@schmittg I did just update the FW yesterday... Here's a screenshot of the radio settings in using. Main network is 5ghz only. Setting to VHT80 seems to be what did it over for me in terms of speed- some say it doesn't support as many devices but I haven't had any issues.

BAA7426E-2A44-4740-AB83-14C9B090A61B.png