09/10/2018
Home setup... from many things to ER-X + UAP AC LR
Used Products
×1
Av. Warnes 2041, C1416CQH CABA, Argentina
Description

First of all, excuse me for my poor english.

Well my home setup varied across the years.

WRT54G, then a Dlink DIR-300 (still purring in my parent's house), a TP-LINK WR940ND that needed reboots every other day, after 3 years i converted it to DD-WRT to have more functionality (vpn, tunnel traffic from my work to my home cable modem connection, etc), but even with the most stable build, it needed a reboot every day or so, wireless clients used to drop and not be able to reconnect (i have 2 notebook, 2 cell phones and 3 wifi ip cameras -foscam-), the cameras the most problematic. After 20-60 minutes of live viewing, disconnect....

I decided i wanted to spend a little more to have something more stable. I did not need more speed, but if that came as a bonus, it's welcome.

Here in argentina, this last 2 years our wages in dollars went to the toilet, so i was very price conscious deciding which gear is right for me and at the correct price.

I finally slayed down my options to mikrotik and ubiquiti.

Mikrotik routers seem to be more powerful than price equivalent ubiquiti, more so when using some advanced features that in ubiquiti cannot offload to hardware, keep in mind: always in the same price bracket. My connection is a 50mbps cable modem so 100-200mbps to future proof is ok to me.

The AP's from mikrotik seemed very outdated also (only one is dual band... lower gain antennae... etc)

I got a deal from an official reseller here of ubiquiti products and i was able to get an ER-X for USD50 and a UAP-AC-LR for USD120. (i wanted the LR for the extra sensivity of the antennae and didn't care for 3x3 AC, i do not have any client that will benefit from that). Also i wanted the ER-X for it's more advanced configuration options, and don't care about the USG features. Also i'm running the UAP controller-less, and being able to enter the web config of the router is more valuable to me.

The setup is a mess as i'm in the middle of the process of re-organizing my house, so then i will put more order in the network gear. But so far rock stable! and i even get stable signal in ALL MY HOUSE (the old tplink dropped out in the lower left now i have a stable -70dbm, and had low signal in the middle left -70dbm now -55dbm). Keep in mind that my house is all brick and mortar with 10cms walls.

So far very happy.

DSC_4136_DxO.jpg

heatmap.jpg

IMG_20180807_100957.jpg

IMG_20180820_221516.jpg

IMG_20180820_221632.jpg

Home setup... from many things to ER-X + UAP AC LR

by ‎09-10-2018 07:02 PM - edited ‎09-10-2018 08:27 PM

First of all, excuse me for my poor english.

Well my home setup varied across the years.

WRT54G, then a Dlink DIR-300 (still purring in my parent's house), a TP-LINK WR940ND that needed reboots every other day, after 3 years i converted it to DD-WRT to have more functionality (vpn, tunnel traffic from my work to my home cable modem connection, etc), but even with the most stable build, it needed a reboot every day or so, wireless clients used to drop and not be able to reconnect (i have 2 notebook, 2 cell phones and 3 wifi ip cameras -foscam-), the cameras the most problematic. After 20-60 minutes of live viewing, disconnect....

I decided i wanted to spend a little more to have something more stable. I did not need more speed, but if that came as a bonus, it's welcome.

Here in argentina, this last 2 years our wages in dollars went to the toilet, so i was very price conscious deciding which gear is right for me and at the correct price.

I finally slayed down my options to mikrotik and ubiquiti.

Mikrotik routers seem to be more powerful than price equivalent ubiquiti, more so when using some advanced features that in ubiquiti cannot offload to hardware, keep in mind: always in the same price bracket. My connection is a 50mbps cable modem so 100-200mbps to future proof is ok to me.

The AP's from mikrotik seemed very outdated also (only one is dual band... lower gain antennae... etc)

I got a deal from an official reseller here of ubiquiti products and i was able to get an ER-X for USD50 and a UAP-AC-LR for USD120. (i wanted the LR for the extra sensivity of the antennae and didn't care for 3x3 AC, i do not have any client that will benefit from that). Also i wanted the ER-X for it's more advanced configuration options, and don't care about the USG features. Also i'm running the UAP controller-less, and being able to enter the web config of the router is more valuable to me.

The setup is a mess as i'm in the middle of the process of re-organizing my house, so then i will put more order in the network gear. But so far rock stable! and i even get stable signal in ALL MY HOUSE (the old tplink dropped out in the lower left now i have a stable -70dbm, and had low signal in the middle left -70dbm now -55dbm). Keep in mind that my house is all brick and mortar with 10cms walls.

So far very happy.

DSC_4136_DxO.jpg

heatmap.jpg

IMG_20180807_100957.jpg

IMG_20180820_221516.jpg

IMG_20180820_221632.jpg

{"location":{"title":"Av. Warnes 2041, C1416CQH CABA, Argentina","placeId":"ChIJywTXNAe2vJUR4Pb6oG2epSk"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-lr","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"174209i7AB3B6786C88F733"}

Comments
by
on ‎09-11-2018 01:37 PM

Nice work - and good prices too! Was that from a reseller near the triple-border by any chance? 

by
on ‎09-11-2018 07:21 PM

Hi!

No, i live in the capital city: Capital Federal, Buenos Aires. The triple border is 1300 kilometers from my house Man Happy

I bought them in Laufquen. You can see the price list in precios.laufquen.com.ar. The prices have increased a little (USD59 ER-X, USD121 ac-lr). If you don't pay in dollars, the conversion to pesos is higher.

by
on ‎09-11-2018 07:24 PM

Sorry, forgot to add: prices are + tax (10,5%). I bought them without tax because i used the CUIT from a friend that is "iva inscripto".