Scheduled maintenance: Community will be offline Monday June 17th, 1:00 AM - 6:00 AM (PT)
04/18/2019
IPS Really works
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
Description

Hi Everyone,

I must say the IPS has really been nice to have.  I do network maintence at a rental property in Tooele.  When we started adding more tennants the probability for abuse of internet access became apparent.  We started with a USG-3 but soon realized that while it works it didnt have the horsepower we needed.  We upgraded to the USG-PRO and its been running about a month or two now without any issues.  A Few days ago my phone started blowing up with IPS alerts.  At first I was more annoyed as it does flag false alarms on occastion.  However, the phone kept blowing up for about an hour.  I was like "What is going on" so I got into the controller and sure enough, someone was Bit Torrenting.  IPS was blocking it and sending alerts.  I called the Landlord and Identified the Tennant who was doing it and the Landlord called me back about 15 minutes later saying (He was like uhhhh, Yeah I was) and he told him not to do it.  He seemed shocked that we knew what was going on!  was good for a laugh.

Thanks IPS/IDS Team

usg-pro-01.png

uap-ac-iw-1 (1).png

uap-ac-iw-1.png

US-L2-48_Front_Angle_copy.png

@UBNT-Marcus 

@UBNT-AdamD 

IPS Really works

by on ‎04-18-2019 07:53 PM

Hi Everyone,

I must say the IPS has really been nice to have.  I do network maintence at a rental property in Tooele.  When we started adding more tennants the probability for abuse of internet access became apparent.  We started with a USG-3 but soon realized that while it works it didnt have the horsepower we needed.  We upgraded to the USG-PRO and its been running about a month or two now without any issues.  A Few days ago my phone started blowing up with IPS alerts.  At first I was more annoyed as it does flag false alarms on occastion.  However, the phone kept blowing up for about an hour.  I was like "What is going on" so I got into the controller and sure enough, someone was Bit Torrenting.  IPS was blocking it and sending alerts.  I called the Landlord and Identified the Tennant who was doing it and the Landlord called me back about 15 minutes later saying (He was like uhhhh, Yeah I was) and he told him not to do it.  He seemed shocked that we knew what was going on!  was good for a laugh.

Thanks IPS/IDS Team

usg-pro-01.png

uap-ac-iw-1 (1).png

uap-ac-iw-1.png

US-L2-48_Front_Angle_copy.png

@UBNT-Marcus 

@UBNT-AdamD 

{"location":{"title":"Tooele, UT, USA","placeId":"ChIJuzOEPgimUocRsBiQx_u_A7o"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-security-gateway-pro","count":1},{"id":"l2-managed-poe-gigabit-switch-with-sfp","count":1},{"id":"inwall-ap","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"202627iA9338BFB359F8479"}

I can not teach you anything. I can only make you think. Please don't forget to mark posts as solutions, and to give kudos when something solves your issue.
Comments
by
on ‎04-19-2019 02:04 AM

Crazy storry, and here you are trespassing on private property, this is exactly why we have GDPR in EU!!.

If this has been in EU you would have got yourself a problem if you dont have a written consent from all persons using this network.

Its illegal in EU and EØS countrys to do this kind of supervision without written consent from all users of the network.

by
on ‎04-19-2019 06:31 AM

They signed an AUP when they moved in

by
on ‎04-20-2019 02:34 AM

@panthergm Not all bit torrents are bad. For instance I get a lot of the updates for my RPI or Ubunutu over bit torrent as it it overall faster.

@Prilly By all definition even major ISPs like Comcast, AT&T, Suddenlink all have some sort of IPS or monitoring system on their connection.

For instance I run a Plex server and my mother watches a lot of the movies that I own (physical bluerays) and she had gotten a letter from AT&T saying that if she kept up that she was going to be terminated for piracy. She called them back up and gave them the IP of my server and told them what it was. Haven't had an issue since. 

If Panthergm had the tenant sign a contract and in that contract was a properly worded AUP then he is in his right.

by
on ‎04-20-2019 03:47 AM

If your mother does not live in the same house as you that’s illegal too. Also you are not allowed to make digital copies from the blu-rays you own.

by
on ‎04-28-2019 04:22 AM

Is it legal to host Bluray movies on a nas for network only Access??

by
‎05-01-2019 10:39 AM - edited ‎05-01-2019 10:43 AM

As a network operator, you really shouldn't premptivly concern yourself with WHAT the user is doing unless its causing a negative effect on the network and disrupting other users on the network.  Handle this with packet shaping and prioritization.  As a landlord, Its not your responsibility to prevent people from things they shouldn't be doing beyond screening people for acceptable moral character.  If you receive DMCA or copyright letters, apply policy to the offending user to find a solution, but going out of your way to prevent people from doing these things isn't a workable solution.  If you arnt comfortable with that, letting tennants aquire their own connections with ISPs would be a better soluton.  If you do premtive policing, your tennants will adapt and use obfuscatory methods like VPNs, SSH tunneling and Tor to hide offending traffic from you.

An anaolgy: Network operators are mail room services essentiall.  Its not your job to police where your tennants are receiving and sending mail to. Thats between them and the mail service.  If a box owner is receving stinky, messy or otherwise disruptive forms of mail, disrupting the operation of the mail room, thats the extent of the problem from your perspective.

My 2c