Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Little Home Network

by Sunday

Hello UBNT Community, 

As I began to work at IT I became more and more interestet in networking...So I recently started to work on improving our home network. 

It all began in April 2017 where I was sick of having repeaters everywhere in the house and still having rather bad to no WiFi in our house and garden. 

I first ordered an AP Lite to see if it was any good. As the package arrived I was first delighted by the packaging. It looked really well and promising. I unpacked the AP and installed it, then i realilzed I need to install the controller somewhere. So I installed it onto my computer to run it temporarily.

To gether the statistics I ordered a raspberry pi to install the controller on and have it running 24/7.

After being completly convinced by that one AP, I ordered the 8 Port Switch and another AP Lite.

The setup then looked like this:

IMG_4429.JPG

The Internet coming into the cellar of our house, then through the FritzBox into the switch, then dividing into 3 other switches and the two ap´s.

I then thought about ordering a third AP for our garden. Said and done. 

So one AP on our main floor, one at the second floor and one outside for our garden. 

AP outsideAP outsideAP 1st floorAP 1st floorAP ground floorAP ground floor

Some weeks later I wanted to take full advantage of the unifi controller software and I bought the Security Gateway. Once it arrived I tried to adopt it into the network but it didnt work at all. So I reinstalled the Controller software to start fresh and once I configured everything it finally worked and the Dashboard looks great now with all the statistics and infos displayed. 

I then decided to clean up the network corner in our cellar. So I did:

DSC_2837.JPGtop: modem middle: NAS bottom: racktop: modem middle: NAS bottom: rackUniFi controllerUniFi controller

The last thing I wanted to configure was VPN. As the fritzbox had that feature build in, we thought we could use it as before. But we couldnt get from the fritzbox network 192.168.178.X to the USG network 192.168.1.X. 

Couldnt get it to work in any way and we then decided to get a modem instead and use the fritzbox just as our phone base station. VPN is currently only available with the version 5.6.3 of the controller, so I signed up for the BETA program and installed the BETA on my raspberry pi. 

Works like a charm now!!! Really great!

We recently got into UniFi Video and we are really happy. Only one camera for now, but we plan on getting more. We also have the Video Software running on a self build server. 

All in all, I am really happy I went with Ubiquiti for our home network upgrade. 

The setup, the features, the dashboard and just all of it was/is a pleasure to work with. 

And I really learned a lot about networks. I hope I can work more with Ubiquiti in the future, really love their products! 

Thanks for reading! Go ahead and comment if you want to Man Happy

Robert

Comments
by
Sunday

really clean homerun  rack .. 

by
Monday

I started with just an AP too, the Controller made me want to do more, and that was on version 4...

Now I have several dozen Ubiquiti products, the only line I haven't bought is the airFiber one, oh and VoIP phones, I had one UVP for a while but returned it because it wasn't quite ready at the time. Where did you get the little rack? It's awesome. How do you order it? Made it yourself?

by
Monday

I got the server rack from Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.de/DIGITUS-Professional-Wandgeh%C3%A4use-grau-Glast%C3%BCr/dp/B00CBNY4XI/ref=sr_1...

It´s made by DIGITUS. Its called DIGITUS Professionals 10 " Server Rack. Its about 54€. 

by
Monday

The ground floor AP will give you better range/quality if you place it flat on the board instead of up upright against the wall.

by
Monday

Thank you ! Will try that!

by
Monday

I wish they sold racks that small here in the US.

by
Monday

I see an AVM Router.Which Provider? did you have issue to configure security gateway behind avm?

by
Tuesday - last edited Tuesday

@SebiSt

We have o2 as our provider. Havent had any severe problems using the usg behind the FritzBox, I configured it as exposed host. The only thing that didnt work was VPN. The Fritzbox couldnt let us through to the USG network. So we werent able to get into 192.168.1.X via FritzBox VPN. Also PPPoe wasnt working with the Fritzbox as it would have solved our problem. 

So we ordered the DrayTek Modem, as we use VPN daily for our home file server. Strangly using PPPoe with the Modem worked fine with the USG.

I downloaded the Beta Version for the Controller, where you can use the buildin RADIUS Server. So now the USG gets our public static IP address and VPN works well!

Edit: RADIUS for VPN and the USG gets public IP through Modem over PPPoe!

So if you dont use VPN, there should be no problem putting the USG behind the Fritzbox. If you need VPN, buy a modem or try it yourself first with the FritzBox, to see if we missed any solutions. 

by
Tuesday - last edited Tuesday

@daphatty

Dont actually know if they sell in the US. Did you check? Check their website: www.digitus.info 

I read on their page that: "Our products can be purchased and shipped worldwide. "

by
Wednesday

How to you solve the problem with telefon which must be connected to the AVM Router?