03/15/2018
Makerspace Network powered by Unifi
Reason for Installation
We have a makerspace at our local university. Since our devices change quite recently and everything at our university is MAC locked we got our own Network. Number one priority was easy configuration so Unifi was a no brainer.
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
Description

As a student of applied information technologies the makerspace at our university is my second home. But home is also where good connectivity is. Here lays the problem: We are probably at the most remote place there is at our university, which explains the eye hurting 16 year old cisco switch in my othervise clean and wonderfull networking cabinet. With this there came a very old aruba, so wlan wasnt great either. What added insult to injury is that we have the most expensive installation materials possible used, which means lots of CAT7 in all the rooms.

photo5283138988074444989.jpgThe cleanest networking cabinet at campusSomething needed to be done about this. The solution was a proper Unifi install which you can see above.

Ignore that we are still connected to the cisco switch. We are getting two direct sfp fiber connections as soon as university IT got time to configure it. 

So why do we need our own hardware? We have multiple servers and are experimenting, so there is lots of reconfiguring. We also have multiple VLANs, since I dont want everyone messing with our Home Assistant project or the servers and we also need to offer some guest WLAN. University IT would go crazy with our demands and cant give us access to their stuff for obvios reasons...

We have a controller running together with pihole inside a vm on a FreeNAS system running 24/7.

Cables are color coded. Networking connections are yellow, black means server and white is normal.

Our UAP Pro beats the Aruba stuff from our University while costing a third Man Very Happy

All in all I am very happy with the result. University IT was also interested in Unifi, until I told them that the switches cant do L3... You could see the disappointment in their eyes.

Our University has 10 10G connections over 3 different routes all ending in Stuttgart and going to Frankfurt directly from there. This results in an 8ms ping in the makerspace.

The trained eye has seen a fiber patch panel in my networking cabinet. 4 pairs are patched and University IT meant that we could get 10G on each no problem, we just need the hardware for it. Sadly I wont get an budget for a USG-XG anytime soon, but hey, maybe @UBNT-MikeD wants to help us out with one.(Please?)

2018-03 Renovierung 27.jpgOur maschine room... A Maslow CNC and more printers are on the way

2018-03 Renovierung 26.jpgFreshly painted

Back to being serios though this is my third install now and I am very happy with Unifi, it is a great product line, one must know its limitations though. If Unifi wants to be truly enterprise they need to bring out L3 switches. Hairpinning network traffic on a single router is something large companies and universities simply cannot do.

photo5283138988074445018.jpgwith the lid closed.

Feel free to visit us on Facebook: FabLab Weingarten

Greetings from Germany

Manuel

Makerspace Network powered by Unifi

by on ‎03-15-2018 03:29 AM

As a student of applied information technologies the makerspace at our university is my second home. But home is also where good connectivity is. Here lays the problem: We are probably at the most remote place there is at our university, which explains the eye hurting 16 year old cisco switch in my othervise clean and wonderfull networking cabinet. With this there came a very old aruba, so wlan wasnt great either. What added insult to injury is that we have the most expensive installation materials possible used, which means lots of CAT7 in all the rooms.

photo5283138988074444989.jpgThe cleanest networking cabinet at campusSomething needed to be done about this. The solution was a proper Unifi install which you can see above.

Ignore that we are still connected to the cisco switch. We are getting two direct sfp fiber connections as soon as university IT got time to configure it. 

So why do we need our own hardware? We have multiple servers and are experimenting, so there is lots of reconfiguring. We also have multiple VLANs, since I dont want everyone messing with our Home Assistant project or the servers and we also need to offer some guest WLAN. University IT would go crazy with our demands and cant give us access to their stuff for obvios reasons...

We have a controller running together with pihole inside a vm on a FreeNAS system running 24/7.

Cables are color coded. Networking connections are yellow, black means server and white is normal.

Our UAP Pro beats the Aruba stuff from our University while costing a third Man Very Happy

All in all I am very happy with the result. University IT was also interested in Unifi, until I told them that the switches cant do L3... You could see the disappointment in their eyes.

Our University has 10 10G connections over 3 different routes all ending in Stuttgart and going to Frankfurt directly from there. This results in an 8ms ping in the makerspace.

The trained eye has seen a fiber patch panel in my networking cabinet. 4 pairs are patched and University IT meant that we could get 10G on each no problem, we just need the hardware for it. Sadly I wont get an budget for a USG-XG anytime soon, but hey, maybe @UBNT-MikeD wants to help us out with one.(Please?)

2018-03 Renovierung 27.jpgOur maschine room... A Maslow CNC and more printers are on the way

2018-03 Renovierung 26.jpgFreshly painted

Back to being serios though this is my third install now and I am very happy with Unifi, it is a great product line, one must know its limitations though. If Unifi wants to be truly enterprise they need to bring out L3 switches. Hairpinning network traffic on a single router is something large companies and universities simply cannot do.

photo5283138988074445018.jpgwith the lid closed.

Feel free to visit us on Facebook: FabLab Weingarten

Greetings from Germany

Manuel

{"location":{"title":"Doggenriedstraße, Weingarten, Germany","placeId":"EjBEb2dnZW5yaWVkc3RyYcOfZSwgODgyNTAgV2VpbmdhcnRlbiwgRGV1dHNjaGxhbmQ"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-48","count":1},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway-pro","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"We have a makerspace at our local university. Since our devices change quite recently and everything at our university is MAC locked we got our own Network. Number one priority was easy configuration so Unifi was a no brainer.","mainImage":"147806iCAC66EF4DF0452F4"}

Comments
by
on ‎03-15-2018 10:19 AM

I believe Unifi is looking at adding Layer 3 switching to its next line of switches... As that's been a pretty hot topic. At my work I introduced Unifi but stil couldn't use it as a core stack for switch and remote branches for VTP or Routing over a Metro-E connection.. Hopefully this comes soon.

by
on ‎03-15-2018 01:06 PM

I stay tuned for it Man Very Happy, Core Stack at our University is all Cisco, Ive seen the networking map, its impressive. Sadly I cant share the details...

Unifi is amazing but Cisco goes unrivaled in some applications. That 16year old switch was configured once and never had a downtime.

Although I could see all the endpoints at our university switching from netgear to Unifi, once they get L3 and the Aruba APs changing with them... Time will tell