10/12/2018
Making of a WiFi Testing Tower
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
×1
Description

This story is continuation/evolution of my previous story: The Rise of An Accidental Wi-Fi Test Lab

Read that before reading this story.

IMG_3505.JPGWhen I first started testing APs, I only had AP HD and AP SHD, but then nanoHD joined the set.
IMG_3539.JPGAs time passed, I started testing more APs and I used whatever cables I had in hand. I needed better cables, better cable management as well as better way to setup and position my growing set of test APs.
IMG_3506.JPGI had this top shelf piece from a long gone computer table. It was doing no good just sitting on the floor, so I decided to make a harness out of it.
IMG_3617.JPGI started by shortening it's height. This made it easy to move, maneuver and work with. Started with placing mounting AP bracket in a way where I could access the AP lock/latch.
IMG_3620.JPGOn the flip side, I needed to make a hole to be able to access the AP lock/latch. This also made it easy to grip, move and carry the harness.
IMG_3621.JPGHere are the mounting brackets for AP XG, AP SHD and AP HD attached to the harness. On the other side, the AP AC PRO bracket edge is visible.
IMG_3622.JPGHere are the AP XG, AP SHD and AP HD mounted to their respective brackets.
IMG_3623.JPGAnd the Wi-Fi Testing Tower was born. The harness can be placed vertically....
IMG_3629.JPG...or horizontally, without scratching or damaging any of the mounted APs.
IMG_3630.JPGThe empty space between the two AP mounted sides, is where I plan to install a UniFi Switch US-8-150W or possibly a .bt switch that will power the AP XG.
IMG_3868.JPGThis is how the tower harness looks today.
Top: nanoHD and AC PRO.
Middle: Wall HD and Wall PRO.
Bottom: HD, SHD and XG.

The only Wave2/XG/gen3 AP missing from the set is the Basestation XG.

IMG_3869.JPGThis is the back side with better cables and cable management. I am able to twist, turn and place the harness in almost any position. All the cables are same length, cut and terminated by me. All cables were tested with a cable tester. The cables have also been tested with 30 minutes of run of iPerf3 between UAS-XG and my Macbook Pro with throughput of 940 Mbps.

Perhaps, I will do little bit more clean up of cables when new UniFi .bt switch arrives. That will make this Wi-Fi Testing Tower more portable as well.

Making of a WiFi Testing Tower

by on ‎10-12-2018 08:49 PM - last edited 3 weeks ago

This story is continuation/evolution of my previous story: The Rise of An Accidental Wi-Fi Test Lab

Read that before reading this story.

IMG_3505.JPGWhen I first started testing APs, I only had AP HD and AP SHD, but then nanoHD joined the set.
IMG_3539.JPGAs time passed, I started testing more APs and I used whatever cables I had in hand. I needed better cables, better cable management as well as better way to setup and position my growing set of test APs.
IMG_3506.JPGI had this top shelf piece from a long gone computer table. It was doing no good just sitting on the floor, so I decided to make a harness out of it.
IMG_3617.JPGI started by shortening it's height. This made it easy to move, maneuver and work with. Started with placing mounting AP bracket in a way where I could access the AP lock/latch.
IMG_3620.JPGOn the flip side, I needed to make a hole to be able to access the AP lock/latch. This also made it easy to grip, move and carry the harness.
IMG_3621.JPGHere are the mounting brackets for AP XG, AP SHD and AP HD attached to the harness. On the other side, the AP AC PRO bracket edge is visible.
IMG_3622.JPGHere are the AP XG, AP SHD and AP HD mounted to their respective brackets.
IMG_3623.JPGAnd the Wi-Fi Testing Tower was born. The harness can be placed vertically....
IMG_3629.JPG...or horizontally, without scratching or damaging any of the mounted APs.
IMG_3630.JPGThe empty space between the two AP mounted sides, is where I plan to install a UniFi Switch US-8-150W or possibly a .bt switch that will power the AP XG.
IMG_3868.JPGThis is how the tower harness looks today.
Top: nanoHD and AC PRO.
Middle: Wall HD and Wall PRO.
Bottom: HD, SHD and XG.

The only Wave2/XG/gen3 AP missing from the set is the Basestation XG.

IMG_3869.JPGThis is the back side with better cables and cable management. I am able to twist, turn and place the harness in almost any position. All the cables are same length, cut and terminated by me. All cables were tested with a cable tester. The cables have also been tested with 30 minutes of run of iPerf3 between UAS-XG and my Macbook Pro with throughput of 940 Mbps.

Perhaps, I will do little bit more clean up of cables when new UniFi .bt switch arrives. That will make this Wi-Fi Testing Tower more portable as well.

{"location":{"title":"CA, USA","placeId":"Eik1NTgzIEUgQ2VudHJhbCBBdmUsIEZyZXNubywgQ0EgOTM3MjUsIFVTQSIbEhkKFAoSCSWmaRpx9pSAEfj6ZoFlRkB4EM8r"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-hd","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ap-ac-shd","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-in-wall-pro-wi-fi-access-point","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"178679i6CFF50565CE1B529"}

Comments
by
on ‎10-13-2018 09:52 AM

Excellent setup sir. I like the portablity it has. Putting the 150W switch in is a great idea. All in one type of thing. Now it just needs a decent size UPS and that would be great for so many things!

by
3 weeks ago

Looks good - nice to see someone thinking about testing ahead of time ;-)

Jim

by
2 weeks ago

Looks good @Jardin_Espanol!

Maybe it's an idea to install a 10" patch panel instead of 'cleaning' up the cables?

by
2 weeks ago

Thank you.

The cables are unecessarily long, not good quality (just okay) and are also about 10 years old.  I do have spare Toughcable that I have started to cut to size and terminate for use with tower.  This will allow me to place tower in another spot. So that and the cable clean up also will make my wife happy, so there is that.

Not very fond of patch panels or racks, as  you can see from all the pics I have posted so far. I just rather use single continious cable, from source to destination.image0.png

by
a week ago

Looks interesting c: