2 weeks ago
Marina/RV Park Installation
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
Description

We were recently contacted to install Wifi at a Marina and RV Park. The Marina was a piece of cake because power and mounting were all provided. A previous vendor has gear that that did not work out.

Here is a google earth shot of the plan. Prismstation+90degree horn antenna to feed 7 isostations, that will feed the Mesh Pros. It would have been nice to spread them out more evenly, but these poles specifically had power on them already.

marina ge.JPG

The main buildling in the lower right corner is the gas dock, it receives internet from a PTP Isostation link from their main buildling.

Here is a before shot of the other vendor's gear:  They were not happy with the performance of the gear (let alone the sight of it!)

IMG_20180820_111517.jpg

Here is the after: IMG_20180925_110210.jpg

Isostation catching signal from the main buildling, Prism AP-90 doing PTMP for the other Mesh Pro's, and 1: mesh Pro to distribute signal. Much less of an eyesore!

Here is a picture of one of the poles: 

IMG_20180925_110733.jpg

And here are the end coverage results!

ekahau coverage.JPG

Now the fun part, the RV park! We only have 3 buildlings to work with for coverage. They are aware this would likely not get 100% coverage, but they wanted to just start with this. More poles may be added on the south side of the property to enhance the signal.

RV Park GE.JPG

With the RV Park, height is our friend. We went with 5' tripods with 10' masts to clear as many of the RV's as possible. We also went with the Mesh AP's+ 19dbi sector antennas for maximium gain. The results were much better than I was expecting.

The buildling in the middle has fiber, and we utilized the Isostations once again for our PTP bridges.

IMG_20180925_104337.jpg

IMG_20180925_103939.jpg

IMG_20180925_104049.jpg

The tripods certainly helped boost the signal over quite  a few of the RVs.IMG_20180925_102041.jpg

IMG_20180925_102931.jpg

Here are the end results after walking the park on a full day. Not too shabby for only 3 points!Ekahau Coverage.JPG

To summarize, the unifi gear is extremely adaptable to fit your needs and environment. The Mesh Pro is a great device for certain circumstances, and the smaller Mesh AP is a great fit for utilizing connectorized antennas.

All coverage mapped is 5Ghz only. 2.4 is dead to me! Man Happy 

Marina/RV Park Installation

by 2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

We were recently contacted to install Wifi at a Marina and RV Park. The Marina was a piece of cake because power and mounting were all provided. A previous vendor has gear that that did not work out.

Here is a google earth shot of the plan. Prismstation+90degree horn antenna to feed 7 isostations, that will feed the Mesh Pros. It would have been nice to spread them out more evenly, but these poles specifically had power on them already.

marina ge.JPG

The main buildling in the lower right corner is the gas dock, it receives internet from a PTP Isostation link from their main buildling.

Here is a before shot of the other vendor's gear:  They were not happy with the performance of the gear (let alone the sight of it!)

IMG_20180820_111517.jpg

Here is the after: IMG_20180925_110210.jpg

Isostation catching signal from the main buildling, Prism AP-90 doing PTMP for the other Mesh Pro's, and 1: mesh Pro to distribute signal. Much less of an eyesore!

Here is a picture of one of the poles: 

IMG_20180925_110733.jpg

And here are the end coverage results!

ekahau coverage.JPG

Now the fun part, the RV park! We only have 3 buildlings to work with for coverage. They are aware this would likely not get 100% coverage, but they wanted to just start with this. More poles may be added on the south side of the property to enhance the signal.

RV Park GE.JPG

With the RV Park, height is our friend. We went with 5' tripods with 10' masts to clear as many of the RV's as possible. We also went with the Mesh AP's+ 19dbi sector antennas for maximium gain. The results were much better than I was expecting.

The buildling in the middle has fiber, and we utilized the Isostations once again for our PTP bridges.

IMG_20180925_104337.jpg

IMG_20180925_103939.jpg

IMG_20180925_104049.jpg

The tripods certainly helped boost the signal over quite  a few of the RVs.IMG_20180925_102041.jpg

IMG_20180925_102931.jpg

Here are the end results after walking the park on a full day. Not too shabby for only 3 points!Ekahau Coverage.JPG

To summarize, the unifi gear is extremely adaptable to fit your needs and environment. The Mesh Pro is a great device for certain circumstances, and the smaller Mesh AP is a great fit for utilizing connectorized antennas.

All coverage mapped is 5Ghz only. 2.4 is dead to me! Man Happy 

{"location":{"title":"United States","placeId":"ChIJCzYy5IS16lQRQrfeQ5K5Oxw"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"directional-dual-band-antenna-for-uap-ac-m","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-pro-ap-beta","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"177693i4A3D2FB763BDA55C"}

Comments
by
2 weeks ago

What program did you use to get your signal strength?

Very nice write up!

by
2 weeks ago

We used Ekahau. Not cheap but works amazing.

by
2 weeks ago
Interesting I have been wondering about using UAP AC M with just a 5 ghz Sector . Bill
by Ubiquiti Employee
2 weeks ago

Very nice! Another awesome installation.

by
Thursday

How many test did you do from inside the RVs? Man Happy

by
Thursday

@WiFiMeshGuy 

There were 2 willing participants on the far south sides I checked, still had usable signal at -75 or so. This solution was not meant to get 100% coverage in every RV, just to cover as much as we could with existing structures. 

There is a possibility several poles will get added to the south side to boost any coverage issues that may crop up.

by
Thursday

When using UniFi mesh pros you want to make sure no rv is more than 180 feet from an AP  optimal height for rv parks is 15-18 feet

by
Thursday

@WiFiMeshGuy

Agreed, thats why I didnt use mesh pros Man Happy 

by
Thursday

Hi All,

-75 is generally not going to be as usable in the RV's. Guest have lots of devices and they want their "MTV" - Netflix.

The solution that i have come up with involves Mikrotik hAP doing a wireless uplink to any wireless network 2.4(some problems thou) or 5. The guest get a private SSID to use in the RV. The hAP are  (Strategically placed) in the RV then guests in the RV connect to the hAP.  I have upwards of a 1000 guests paying anywhere for 40/week to 30 to 69 per month for this Premium service.

As disussed in another post the aircube does not have this functionality.

Bill

by
Thursday

You’re 100% right Bill. 

Once the park gets loaded and the big rigs come in that signal will drop even more. 

(FYI the only thing we do is build rv parks)