×2
×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
Description

I had terrible Wifi as my home is older(for the US) and has plaster walls, some of which have wire lathe backing.  Late last year, I decided to smarten up my home with Google Home, Ring, Nest, and Phillips Hue products among others.  Unfortunately, my wifi dropped all the time and it made the experience terrible.  This got me investigating other options, including using a second router set as an access point and some repeaters.  All still terrible.... Then a friend, who is in the computer technology field, suggested I look into Ubiquiti and away I went. From there, I watched a truckload of Youtube videos from Crosstalk Solutions and Willie Howe and read a whole bunch of reviews online and my mind was made up.

So I jumped in feet first and got a USG, Cloud Key, US -8-150W, and 2 APs,one HD and one Pro. I already had a non Poe Switch in my Family room and a second router(acting as AP and switch) in my basement.  I set all this stuff up pretty easily following the video guides I found.  Because fo the ease of use and all the data I got from the controller program, I decided to change the netgear switch and the router out for 2 US-8-60W and added a AC-Lite in my basement.  

The next step in my story was cameras. I had been thinking of installing some for a while, but never got the chance to really research it.  I got the NVR and a G3 Micro and set them up. I also got a regular G3, but have to wait for better weather to set it up. At the same time, I also picked up a M-PRo outdoor mesh that is also waiting to be installed.

Following this, I decided to bite the bullet and get a NAS to fill out my new Network setup. I went with the SYnology 1517+ with 5 8TB drives.  I have lost family photos before and did not want to lose anymore.  Easy to set up, but time consuming to move the data over and set it up the way you want it.

The last step came this past week when I realized that I needed more POE ports at my main hub area, for now and the future, and also needed a way to stack all this tech I just added to my office setup. I knew I wanted another 8-150W(for the POE and to connected the two by SFP and save the RJ45 ports) and that you should not stack them due to passive cooling.  It was at this point that another forum member posted his story here..New-Mini-Switch-Rack-Build  The links in his story are for Ikea Australia.  The same products are available on the US site and are a little less in US dollars.  I liked the idea so much that I copied it and added some of my own extras.  On the plus side, it definitely has a high Wife Acceptance Factor.

The only thing, I might add from here are perhaps the door unit for the top shelf to make the NVR less visible and perhaps a case fan hooked up to a plug next to the 8-150s(depends on how hot they get)

Below are photos of my network configuration and my rack setup. I hope you enjoy it and perhaps gives you some ideas.  Thanks for reading.

Ikea Links

Hutten wine rack $9.99

Kallax shelf unit $45.99

my network.jpgnetwork flowsheet

rack 1.jpgModem and NVR on top shelf

rack 6.jpgUSG and 2 8-150W connected by SFP

rack 4.jpgSynology NAS and UPS

rack 5.jpgThe whole rack

My Home Network and Mini Rack Set up

by ‎03-15-2018 11:02 PM - edited ‎03-15-2018 11:31 PM

I had terrible Wifi as my home is older(for the US) and has plaster walls, some of which have wire lathe backing.  Late last year, I decided to smarten up my home with Google Home, Ring, Nest, and Phillips Hue products among others.  Unfortunately, my wifi dropped all the time and it made the experience terrible.  This got me investigating other options, including using a second router set as an access point and some repeaters.  All still terrible.... Then a friend, who is in the computer technology field, suggested I look into Ubiquiti and away I went. From there, I watched a truckload of Youtube videos from Crosstalk Solutions and Willie Howe and read a whole bunch of reviews online and my mind was made up.

So I jumped in feet first and got a USG, Cloud Key, US -8-150W, and 2 APs,one HD and one Pro. I already had a non Poe Switch in my Family room and a second router(acting as AP and switch) in my basement.  I set all this stuff up pretty easily following the video guides I found.  Because fo the ease of use and all the data I got from the controller program, I decided to change the netgear switch and the router out for 2 US-8-60W and added a AC-Lite in my basement.  

The next step in my story was cameras. I had been thinking of installing some for a while, but never got the chance to really research it.  I got the NVR and a G3 Micro and set them up. I also got a regular G3, but have to wait for better weather to set it up. At the same time, I also picked up a M-PRo outdoor mesh that is also waiting to be installed.

Following this, I decided to bite the bullet and get a NAS to fill out my new Network setup. I went with the SYnology 1517+ with 5 8TB drives.  I have lost family photos before and did not want to lose anymore.  Easy to set up, but time consuming to move the data over and set it up the way you want it.

The last step came this past week when I realized that I needed more POE ports at my main hub area, for now and the future, and also needed a way to stack all this tech I just added to my office setup. I knew I wanted another 8-150W(for the POE and to connected the two by SFP and save the RJ45 ports) and that you should not stack them due to passive cooling.  It was at this point that another forum member posted his story here..New-Mini-Switch-Rack-Build  The links in his story are for Ikea Australia.  The same products are available on the US site and are a little less in US dollars.  I liked the idea so much that I copied it and added some of my own extras.  On the plus side, it definitely has a high Wife Acceptance Factor.

The only thing, I might add from here are perhaps the door unit for the top shelf to make the NVR less visible and perhaps a case fan hooked up to a plug next to the 8-150s(depends on how hot they get)

Below are photos of my network configuration and my rack setup. I hope you enjoy it and perhaps gives you some ideas.  Thanks for reading.

Ikea Links

Hutten wine rack $9.99

Kallax shelf unit $45.99

my network.jpgnetwork flowsheet

rack 1.jpgModem and NVR on top shelf

rack 6.jpgUSG and 2 8-150W connected by SFP

rack 4.jpgSynology NAS and UPS

rack 5.jpgThe whole rack

{"location":{"title":"Allentown, PA, USA","placeId":"ChIJ4dxKn5I5xIkRoSRoJEvf-eo"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":2},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":2},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-hd","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-lite","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-pro-ap-beta","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"This is my network upgrade journey and shows my new rack setup","mainImage":"147971i9D32657CB756D28E"}

Comments
by
on ‎04-03-2018 01:56 PM

@Lordstan so one nice thing about synology is that you can set it up to automatically back up certain folders and content to the cloud via various services. I have mine setup to back up my pictures folder to Amazon, which pictures, in any format do not count against your storage limit. 

by
on ‎04-03-2018 02:49 PM

I am still working on figuring out all the ins and outs of the Synology NAS, but it is powerful.

by
‎04-15-2018 09:17 PM - edited ‎04-15-2018 10:01 PM

I wanted to update my story a bit as I customized a few things.

1) I placed small screws to hold in the USG. Notice they are not centered on the wood. If you do this please measure for accurate spacing

Screws for USG.jpgscrews for USG

2} I drilled small holes and used some of the left over dowels from the wine rack to create small posts to hold the switches in place, but still easy to remove. I included a photo of the side view to show how much space there is in the back

Dowels for US8 150W.jpgdowelsdowels with 8-150.jpgdowels with switch in placeSide view of rack.jpgside view showing space behind switches

3} I bought 2 of the quietest fans I have ever heard of to attach to the side of the rack(inside the cabinet) to cool the 2 switches.  I put photos of the specs and a photo of the fans in place. I attached the top fan to the top rail and the bottom fan to the top fan. The space is tight, but the fans are not touching the rack or the cabinet so there is very little sound.  The fans are blowing air toward the equiment. The best part is that the switch temps dropped from 67C to 50C and 53C respectively, for the top and bottom switches.  I have no way to currently measure the USG, but it feels much cooler to the touch.

fan 1450.jpgfan 1fan 1150.jpgfan 2fans on side of rack.jpgfans attached3pin to ac connection.jpg3 pin to ac connector plug

The last photo is how the rack now looks in the cabinet

rack update 2.jpgrack with fans

by
on ‎04-18-2018 06:20 AM

Great job on this rack! I love the idea of using the wine racks from IKEA. Very much a genuis idea. I am looking around for users that might have been able to create a computer fan like the ones you use to run off a PoE ethernet port on one of the switches. That would be very convenient!

by
on ‎04-20-2018 02:06 PM

Verisarioc,

Thats for the compliment. I linked the person who came up with the idea in the original write up and I agree with you there it is a pretty smart adaptation.

The only problem with the idea of running off of POE is that you would then lose a port on one of the switches.  I like the idea of the separate plug as I now have more room to expand with the extra cameras I am planning on getting

by
on ‎04-30-2018 09:05 PM

Awesome setup.

On your Synology, I recently set one op for a client for office shared storage, backup and itunes shared library (It's a Mac shop)

I have confifgured it to do backup of of NAS volumes, and I have configured workstations to back up to a NAS volume as well.

The Synology can run a cloud backup service using the package installer. I got Cloudberry backup for Synology, it works pretty well.

I checked different providers and we decided on Backblaze B2, I have been running it without any major issues for about six months.

I got the same NAS as you have. 

Hope this info is of some use to you.

by
on ‎10-16-2018 02:13 AM

If you want to save even more space in that cabinet I have designed something (for 3d printing) that holds the switch of the ground and also alowe stacking of switches and at top a USG

Unifi Switch 8 150w stand with space for the Cloud key

UniFi USG Standoff

If you don't have a 3d printer you can order 3d prints online.