01/12/2019
My little slice of networking heaven!
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
Description

I recently entered the enterprise networking world via a promotion to a Network Engineer. I figured it was time to put my money where my mouth is and wire up my whole house. And what better product line to do with then Ubnt Unifi! Previously, I just had a consumer router with everything connected to WiFi on one SSID. Now I have a prosumer network with actual segmentation with firewall rules in tow. 

UBNT Equipment:

USG Pro

Unifi 16 Port PoE managed switch

Cloud Key Gen 2 Plus w/Rackmount Accessory

Unifi nanoHD AP

A couple of G3 Flex cams

Additional:

300W UPS

24 port Cat6 patch panel

6U rack

500 feet of Cat6 riser cable(solid copper)

100 feet of coax 

Coax couplers, keystone jacks, wall plates, rack tray, and patch cables. 

Here are a few pics highlighting everything I did from start to finish. Enjoy! :-)

Ran 14/2 romex from a nearby outlet near this closet. This made everything clean and convienent for my rack. This is how it looks in it's final form.

1 - JRXDedz.jpg

Tiny little guy, I tell ya!

2 - pcpeBIB.jpg

3 - 1JRztCl.jpg

I initially was going to install an IP cam system later, but the CK Plus being offered with NVR capability made my decision easy. I picked up a couple of G3 Flex cams and install/setup was a breeze. 

4 - Pl2KCd8.jpg

This little guy is enough to blanket my 8600 sq. lot with ease!  

5 - s9JrwU6.jpg

6 - BpEpzc6.jpg

Drops coming into where rack was going to be installed. I was initially going to attach the rack to the studs, but figured it would be more convienent to take advantage of the closet's shelf.

14 - vZTKAmR.jpg

15 - FVioAKs.jpg

Multi-tool made quick work of wall plate cutouts

16 - H2wMUhn.jpg

Did 2-4 drops per room

17 - K6o8L52.jpg

18 - vkWevwx.jpg

Some cable management Man Happy

11 - kIJj1WU.jpg

I ran all of the wiring myself with the help of my lovely wife. I previously did a home theatre wiring project, so that experience helped me a lot. You're seeing all of the drops from one side of the house running across the vaulted living room trusses. Other then that, the rest of the wiring on both sides of the house was neatly hidden along the ceiling joists.

12 - u4iVGds.jpg

Wiring running through ceiling down to patch panel

13 - KKrnkcL.jpg

The nanoHD AP is super small! About the size of a dessert plate.

8 - 3J1wCHe.jpg

I tested everything to make sure it would all play nice with one another. 

10 - ayppkbS.jpg

29RzyAu - Imgur.jpg

9 - fUvxej2.jpg

7 - ilp3iBj.jpg

My little slice of networking heaven!

by ‎01-12-2019 06:51 PM - edited ‎01-13-2019 04:08 PM

I recently entered the enterprise networking world via a promotion to a Network Engineer. I figured it was time to put my money where my mouth is and wire up my whole house. And what better product line to do with then Ubnt Unifi! Previously, I just had a consumer router with everything connected to WiFi on one SSID. Now I have a prosumer network with actual segmentation with firewall rules in tow. 

UBNT Equipment:

USG Pro

Unifi 16 Port PoE managed switch

Cloud Key Gen 2 Plus w/Rackmount Accessory

Unifi nanoHD AP

A couple of G3 Flex cams

Additional:

300W UPS

24 port Cat6 patch panel

6U rack

500 feet of Cat6 riser cable(solid copper)

100 feet of coax 

Coax couplers, keystone jacks, wall plates, rack tray, and patch cables. 

Here are a few pics highlighting everything I did from start to finish. Enjoy! :-)

Ran 14/2 romex from a nearby outlet near this closet. This made everything clean and convienent for my rack. This is how it looks in it's final form.

1 - JRXDedz.jpg

Tiny little guy, I tell ya!

2 - pcpeBIB.jpg

3 - 1JRztCl.jpg

I initially was going to install an IP cam system later, but the CK Plus being offered with NVR capability made my decision easy. I picked up a couple of G3 Flex cams and install/setup was a breeze. 

4 - Pl2KCd8.jpg

This little guy is enough to blanket my 8600 sq. lot with ease!  

5 - s9JrwU6.jpg

6 - BpEpzc6.jpg

Drops coming into where rack was going to be installed. I was initially going to attach the rack to the studs, but figured it would be more convienent to take advantage of the closet's shelf.

14 - vZTKAmR.jpg

15 - FVioAKs.jpg

Multi-tool made quick work of wall plate cutouts

16 - H2wMUhn.jpg

Did 2-4 drops per room

17 - K6o8L52.jpg

18 - vkWevwx.jpg

Some cable management Man Happy

11 - kIJj1WU.jpg

I ran all of the wiring myself with the help of my lovely wife. I previously did a home theatre wiring project, so that experience helped me a lot. You're seeing all of the drops from one side of the house running across the vaulted living room trusses. Other then that, the rest of the wiring on both sides of the house was neatly hidden along the ceiling joists.

12 - u4iVGds.jpg

Wiring running through ceiling down to patch panel

13 - KKrnkcL.jpg

The nanoHD AP is super small! About the size of a dessert plate.

8 - 3J1wCHe.jpg

I tested everything to make sure it would all play nice with one another. 

10 - ayppkbS.jpg

29RzyAu - Imgur.jpg

9 - fUvxej2.jpg

7 - ilp3iBj.jpg

{"location":{"title":"Meridian, ID, USA","placeId":"ChIJhdYOIotTrlQRNKRGJlZgbFM"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-security-gateway-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-16-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key-gen2-plus","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"189586i8ADF5B66C7ABA19D"}

Comments
by
on ‎01-15-2019 03:49 PM

Wow! That Nano is small! Thank you for the size comparison. I'm now thinking of spending a little more for a smaller footprint of a device.

Also, very impressed on the cable runs. Great job on keeping it organzied and clean looking. I love everything about this build. Congrats!

by
on ‎01-29-2019 12:07 AM

Thanks for sharing these photos, it's very inspiring. I'm currently researching for my first UniFi home network setup and your setup is pretty much what I'm looking for. 

by
on ‎02-04-2019 07:38 PM

I would look into the mounting solutions that they have for the g3 flex.  The in ceiling mount I have used outside and it is great.  Would get the camera in the house and the pole mount would be good for the other outside camera but great install so far!

by
on ‎02-10-2019 05:13 PM

How deep is your 6U rack?  Wondering how much clearance there is from the back of the UPS (which I think is the deepest) to the rear wall.  What is the minimum needed when you figure in the cords used to tie into the USP?

by
‎02-10-2019 05:16 PM - edited ‎02-10-2019 09:51 PM

@schuld 

Hi, the rack is 12 inches deep.

by
on ‎02-10-2019 09:35 PM

What brand of cat6a cables would you recommend running through the house?

by
on ‎02-10-2019 09:50 PM

@chasewfahn

I ran monoprice cable throughout. It's quality stuff for the money as its pure copper vs CCA. 

by
on ‎02-11-2019 01:50 AM

Thanks @xealo . I am looking to run ethernet through my whole house as part of a rennovation and I'm not sure where to even start,

My house is roughly ~1600 sq ft, two story home. Should I be getting Cat6 or Cat6A cables? And is UTP okay? I've seen other options like FTP? Is that something entirely different?

Monoprice Cat6 @ Amazon

Monoprice Cat6A @ Amazon

by
on ‎02-11-2019 05:27 AM

@chasewfahn 

Cat6A is rated for 10 Gbps up to distances of 100 meters and frequencies up 500mhz. Cat6 can do 10Gbps up to 37 meters. FTP cabling is shielded with foil whilst UTP is not hence the U standing for "unshielded". 

I went with Cat6, the first link in your post, because I don't have distances that are in excess of 120 feet. If you do, then it may be wise to go with Cat6A for future 10Gbps equipment. Good luck!