×1
×2
×1
×1
×1
×2
3833 Crowley Rayne Hwy, Rayne, LA 70578, USA
Description

To start off, Ubiquiti makes great products, they are reliable, affordable and easy to expand. I have used Ubiquiti Unifi solutions  in many previous installs, my owm personal old house,  a couple of offices and other local homes. When I was building my recently completed new home, I knew which equipment I was going to utilize. I have recommended and used Ubiquiti for years and highly recommend to anyone who asks.

I am one who always prefers hardwired, so I was lucky enough to be able to run all network, coax and security throughout the house. All network wires are Cat6A throughout the house. My goal was to have everythign centrally located within the house and secluded. I am planning on adding automation in the future and wanted all coverage considerd as well as any possible device to have its own port.

The XG16 is used to provide connectivity to the three 48 port switches on the property aggregated for 20gb links between. Two utilize DAC cables while the 3rd switch is 1000ft away in the back shop. I ran 4 SM fibers underground to the shop and provide network connectivity for security cameras as well as spare servers for nightly backups. I considered PtP but decided I can add it at a later time shoudl something fail with the fiber. With the patch panel is provides a clean install and allows for labeling of locations. For the controller, I upgraded to the CloudKey Gen2 Plus and passed on my old Cloudkey to a friend. In reference to WiFi, three AC Pros are mounted in the house. The back shop has two Unifi AC Mesh AP, one is used for short range interior coverage for the metal shop and mother-in-law suite inside the shop. The second Mesh AP is attached to the AirMax 5Ghz sector antenna mounted exterior of the building to provide my entire property with wifi coverage. The WiFi coverage comes in handy when mowing or working while streaming music on my phone.

Outside of typical network equipment,  I am configuring my media server and NAS in the rack below with 10gb connectivity along with 2 Dell 710 servers for homelab messing with Citrix Xen and VMWare ESXI. Four multiroom Sonos Connect amps are mounted here. The audio quality from Sonos Connect Amps are incredible and allow for shared music, app control, expandability and individual streaming. There is a rack mounted UPS with secondary battery bank to run network items, security cameras, alarm system and required equipment before generator kicks on. The IP based camera NVR is located in the rack on the UPS. A HDBaseT solution is utilized to stream NVR to key rooms in the house over the network cables to view all cameras in 4K. A Silicon HDHomeRun Quatro Tuner broadcasts OTA channels to several streaming devices, tablets and computers throughout the property.  Still working on completing the task of cleaning up cables and wrapping the cables neatly for proper airflow.

20181110_215841_resized.jpg

20181110_220000.jpg

20181111_213927.jpg

20180503_151032.jpg

New Network Install - Homestead

by a month ago

To start off, Ubiquiti makes great products, they are reliable, affordable and easy to expand. I have used Ubiquiti Unifi solutions  in many previous installs, my owm personal old house,  a couple of offices and other local homes. When I was building my recently completed new home, I knew which equipment I was going to utilize. I have recommended and used Ubiquiti for years and highly recommend to anyone who asks.

I am one who always prefers hardwired, so I was lucky enough to be able to run all network, coax and security throughout the house. All network wires are Cat6A throughout the house. My goal was to have everythign centrally located within the house and secluded. I am planning on adding automation in the future and wanted all coverage considerd as well as any possible device to have its own port.

The XG16 is used to provide connectivity to the three 48 port switches on the property aggregated for 20gb links between. Two utilize DAC cables while the 3rd switch is 1000ft away in the back shop. I ran 4 SM fibers underground to the shop and provide network connectivity for security cameras as well as spare servers for nightly backups. I considered PtP but decided I can add it at a later time shoudl something fail with the fiber. With the patch panel is provides a clean install and allows for labeling of locations. For the controller, I upgraded to the CloudKey Gen2 Plus and passed on my old Cloudkey to a friend. In reference to WiFi, three AC Pros are mounted in the house. The back shop has two Unifi AC Mesh AP, one is used for short range interior coverage for the metal shop and mother-in-law suite inside the shop. The second Mesh AP is attached to the AirMax 5Ghz sector antenna mounted exterior of the building to provide my entire property with wifi coverage. The WiFi coverage comes in handy when mowing or working while streaming music on my phone.

Outside of typical network equipment,  I am configuring my media server and NAS in the rack below with 10gb connectivity along with 2 Dell 710 servers for homelab messing with Citrix Xen and VMWare ESXI. Four multiroom Sonos Connect amps are mounted here. The audio quality from Sonos Connect Amps are incredible and allow for shared music, app control, expandability and individual streaming. There is a rack mounted UPS with secondary battery bank to run network items, security cameras, alarm system and required equipment before generator kicks on. The IP based camera NVR is located in the rack on the UPS. A HDBaseT solution is utilized to stream NVR to key rooms in the house over the network cables to view all cameras in 4K. A Silicon HDHomeRun Quatro Tuner broadcasts OTA channels to several streaming devices, tablets and computers throughout the property.  Still working on completing the task of cleaning up cables and wrapping the cables neatly for proper airflow.

20181110_215841_resized.jpg

20181110_220000.jpg

20181111_213927.jpg

20180503_151032.jpg

{"location":{"title":"3833 Crowley Rayne Hwy, Rayne, LA 70578, USA","placeId":"ChIJafzHogumJIYRtrEaWiPvE64"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-security-gateway-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ap-pro-3-pack","count":1},{"id":"unifi-direct-attach-copper-cable-10-gbps-1-meter","count":4},{"id":"unifi-switch-16-xg-beta","count":1},{"id":"unifiswitch-48-750w","count":2},{"id":"unifi-switch-48","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key-gen2-plus","count":1},{"id":"unifi-voip-phone-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-mesh-ap","count":2}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"182574i43F6E4CB22EFBF0A"}

Comments
by
a month ago

What such a thing of beauty!!!

by
a month ago

Where did you find that ceeling pass-through?

by
a month ago

@demonmaestroI was looking for a cheap option with a slight slope for cable entry. I actually flipped the device around to be sloped on the inside and allow sheetrock to fit better. It is actually a plastic floor toilet flange. 

Basically this:

Image result for plastic floor toilet flange

by
a month ago

Thanks for the idea. I've been racking my brain on this for awhile. 

by
3 weeks ago

What a thing of absolute beauty...! Currently home datacenter with two similar racks, I I the same network gear just in addition to the Unifi switches I have HP\Aruba switches as well. Defenitely likeling the new cloud key as I had maxed out the devices on the old. You like your Dell 710's ? I have Qty 4 HP DL380 G7's and looking to do a refresh with Dell's. Not a fan of the HP ILO....

by
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

great! what are you using to do a mosaic camera view?

by
3 weeks ago

@bigkThey are decent. ACtually are a couple years old, CPU is a bit slower, but good for mesing and practicing. IT was t2o servers being decomissioned from my work so I grabbed and pieced togther. The Media server above is a much better build with E5 12 core CPU and lots of memory. For the purpose of testing and build, the 710s are fine.

@rgoughThe cameras are streaming the Lorex NVR main screen. I have it distributed using MonoPrice Blackbird 4K 1 to 4 HDBaseT splitter.

by
2 weeks ago

@lachevyguy what patch panels are you using?

by
2 weeks ago

@PhantomTypist I am using a keystone patch panel from Monoprice as well as the Cat6a keystones

by
2 weeks ago

@lachevyguy ah, that makes sense now.  I was thinking it was some new sort of patch panel where you terminate RJ45 on both sides of each keystone.