2 weeks ago
New Network for an Old Office
Reason for Installation
From old, grungy and no name hardware to new, shiny and fast.
Used Products
×1
×1
×2
×1
×1
Description

It all started with my wife calling me one day asking why their internet was slow. After a service technician arrived on site they were informed that their "dumb" switch was causing the problem. They were able to limp through the holidays until I was able to come on site.

speed test beforespeed test before

I had my wife send me a few photos of the equipment so that I could guess what I needed.

back of "switch"back of "switch"

front of "switch"front of "switch"

DSL modem/RouterDSL modem/Router

After seeing the pictures my first purchase order was

1x AC-PRO

1x US-8-60

1x USG

1x Cloud Key

I had thought this would cover the 6 office computers without a problem. Please raise you had if you see my mistake yet. We will talk about that later.

The first step involved setting the modem in bridge mode which is not always (easily) documented. As you can see on the modem above it has a dsl port, a LAN/WAN port and 4 more lan ports. As this was my first PPPoE setup with UBNT it was not straght forward as to which device the errors where coming from. I didnt have the PPPoE username/password off hand so it involved some stratigic guessing and then a call to the ISP. The USG sometimes fails fast for a password and sometimes it fails slow. After a call to the ISP we had the password and connected the USG to lan port 1.

Once all was punched down we ran into our next road block. With 6 computers, an uplink, a cloud key and a WAP there are a total of 9 ports that need to be used (my mistake from earlier). I had to purchase a bigger switch. As they have ~20 network cables in the closet the right step up to allow for growth was the 24 port switch. We were able to agree that one computer was not critical until I was able to get the new switch in. Cloudkey and WAP is up and happy and I start upgrading the software on the systems.

Now the new switch is in and I mount it in the rack. My next problems occurs. With a 12" depth rach there is no way to connect the included AC power cable. To get it to work until a new power cord was availble I had to rack it 1/2U down from the correct position and squeeze in the AC power cord.

Once the new switch is in place I start to notice the Cloud Key is acting strange. Whenever I attempt to update the switch the cloud key reboots and then the unifi software never starts. I would have to restore the Cloud Key factory default each time it reboots. After a few hours of troubleshooting, I have determined the cloud key must be faulty and have returned it for a new one.

A new speed test to confirm all is well and the client is happy.

IMG_20180105_085656.jpg

IMG_20180105_085648.jpg

speedtest-after.jpg

New Network for an Old Office

by 2 weeks ago

It all started with my wife calling me one day asking why their internet was slow. After a service technician arrived on site they were informed that their "dumb" switch was causing the problem. They were able to limp through the holidays until I was able to come on site.

speed test beforespeed test before

I had my wife send me a few photos of the equipment so that I could guess what I needed.

back of "switch"back of "switch"

front of "switch"front of "switch"

DSL modem/RouterDSL modem/Router

After seeing the pictures my first purchase order was

1x AC-PRO

1x US-8-60

1x USG

1x Cloud Key

I had thought this would cover the 6 office computers without a problem. Please raise you had if you see my mistake yet. We will talk about that later.

The first step involved setting the modem in bridge mode which is not always (easily) documented. As you can see on the modem above it has a dsl port, a LAN/WAN port and 4 more lan ports. As this was my first PPPoE setup with UBNT it was not straght forward as to which device the errors where coming from. I didnt have the PPPoE username/password off hand so it involved some stratigic guessing and then a call to the ISP. The USG sometimes fails fast for a password and sometimes it fails slow. After a call to the ISP we had the password and connected the USG to lan port 1.

Once all was punched down we ran into our next road block. With 6 computers, an uplink, a cloud key and a WAP there are a total of 9 ports that need to be used (my mistake from earlier). I had to purchase a bigger switch. As they have ~20 network cables in the closet the right step up to allow for growth was the 24 port switch. We were able to agree that one computer was not critical until I was able to get the new switch in. Cloudkey and WAP is up and happy and I start upgrading the software on the systems.

Now the new switch is in and I mount it in the rack. My next problems occurs. With a 12" depth rach there is no way to connect the included AC power cable. To get it to work until a new power cord was availble I had to rack it 1/2U down from the correct position and squeeze in the AC power cord.

Once the new switch is in place I start to notice the Cloud Key is acting strange. Whenever I attempt to update the switch the cloud key reboots and then the unifi software never starts. I would have to restore the Cloud Key factory default each time it reboots. After a few hours of troubleshooting, I have determined the cloud key must be faulty and have returned it for a new one.

A new speed test to confirm all is well and the client is happy.

IMG_20180105_085656.jpg

IMG_20180105_085648.jpg

speedtest-after.jpg

{"location":{"title":"Seattle, WA, United States","placeId":"ChIJVTPokywQkFQRmtVEaUZlJRA"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":2},{"id":"unifiswitch-24-250w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"From old, grungy and no name hardware to new, shiny and fast.","mainImage":"137906i1F4DECCC8AE70CBA"}

4 sites
4x UC-CK
2x USG
11x UAP-AC-PRO
7x US-8-60W
1x US-16-150W
2x US-8
1x UVC-NVR
3x UVC-G3
2x UVC-G3-MICRO (beta)
2x NBE-5AC-16
Comments
by
2 weeks ago

Great job. I have dealt with PPPoE providers. I would recommend that if it's allowed to get a dumb ISP Modem and the not the one currently there. I have run into issues where the ISP takes it upon themselves to reset to factory default or update them with firmware which causes you to lose uptime. Trust me you will be happy if you are their I.T. person.

by
2 weeks ago

@nscchicken

I agree. It appears difficult to know which devices have comparability with the ISP. If you have suggestions I would love to know!

by
Friday

Whos the ISP?  I should be able to find it from there or you can. Or you could call and ask as well. 

Then check to see if its ADSL or VDSL

The device I have turned to and I know works in the ADSL markets I'm servicing. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0037D922Y/ref=psdc_284715_t1_B0046TRVR6

The device I know works in the VDSL is the one below just display to have in bridge mode. But VDSL is far in few between.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC1600-WiFi-Modem-Router/dp/B01BG8AOH8/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UT...

https://www.approvedmodems.com/att-dsl.html

https://www.approvedmodems.com/centurylink.html

https://www.approvedmodems.com/frontier.html

https://www.approvedmodems.com/verizon.html

https://www.approvedmodems.com/windstream.html