Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

New Ubiquiti Instant 802.3AF POE to USB Converter

by 2 weeks ago

Hey all,

some of you might recnogize me as the guy who Did the ubiquiti License plate a few weeks ago.  Well here is another Ubiquiti Story.  Awhile back I was looking in the beta store and saw this 802.3AF POE to usb converter.  I didnt think much of it at first.  Then I thought for 20 bucks It couldnt hurt to try one out.   So I went to buy 1 or 2 and they were gone.  Recently, I looked again and they were in stock.  See the attached photos:2017-09-12.jpg2017-09-12 (1).jpg

I just realized now I have a device that can turn my simple iPhone Charging cable into a 100 Foot charging cable.  As long as I have POE closeby.  Which is almost always.  The charging speed is very fast.  not even plugged in for 45 minutes and its jumped over 50% in battery life.  Quite frequently I dont bring a wall adapter for my chargers, but I always have a patch cord in ALL my bags, along with charging cables.  Quite frequently I find myself in a comm closet and low on power on my phone mid day.  Again, Another great product by UBNT!  Way to go guys on getting creative and building something is super useful!!!

@UBNT-MikeD

@UBNT-DavidS

@UBNT-JaM

@UBNT-Brandon

I can not teach you anything. I can only make you think. Please don't forget to mark posts as solutions, and to give kudos when something solves your issue.
Comments
by
2 weeks ago

I knew this was going to be a winner from day one! Now if only they had an adapter that would split off 5v and pass ethernet on without the PoE.. PERFECT for all of those raspberry pi projects Man Wink

by
2 weeks ago

you could still do a Rasberry Pi on this.  Just use a usb cord to power it.  Then get a wifi addon and you are good to go.

by
2 weeks ago

How did you manage to make such crappy pictures? On a potato camera? Man Very Happy I have a very hard time understanding, what is going on in the second picture

@ccagan

I'm using this for my RPi : https://www.aliexpress.com/item//32646437894.html

by
2 weeks ago

@ccagan - I am also using a splitter from PoE that does exactly what you need for Pi's - works a treat! I can't remember the exact model, but there are plenty on Amazon, that come with various adapters depending on what you want to power with 5v.

by
2 weeks ago

@slowmo Believe it or not I took it with an iPhone 7+

by
2 weeks ago

I know why I've been avoiding any Bitten Fruit products like plague. Smilielol5

by Ubiquiti Employee
a week ago - last edited a week ago

Yes, these adapters are awesome.  I've been using one to charge my phone every night since I got one. Smiley Happy  I can also confirm that it powers a Raspberry Pi 3 just fine.

by Ubiquiti Employee
a week ago

Heh.  I do the same as @UBNT-MatthewR and @UBNT-ryanchien has been doing this for years.  :-)

by
a week ago

@UBNT-Brandon  @UBNT-MatthewR Are you actually selling these outside of US? Cannot find a reseller here (Europe/CZ). Frown

by Ubiquiti Employee
a week ago

So since it's such a new/unknown type of product, distributors probably won't place an order for it until they have an order from the customer, unfortunatly.

@UBNT-Ben can correct me if I'm wrong here.