New Unifi setup
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
Description

So after a few months of fighting with a Netgear router due to their broken firmware and that they have known about it for over a year and the only fix is to find a still unreleased firmware update and manually update it then do a factory reset and redo all your settings; I decided if I am going to have to redo it I will redo it how I want it to be. Decided on unifi because I liked the scalability in that I can get it set up now for what I need and expand it as needs grow and that it is a lot more configurabile than a home router. I also liked that it was something that could be installed in a rack and that I was building a new entertainment center that could accomidate racks.

Eventually everything will be rackmounted including the entertainment center equipment just waiting on one more rack mount kit to come in then it will be finished.

I had to figure out the wiring due to the existing being ran to a home router that sat on top in the back and I didn't want to rerun all the cables that had already been done. So I decided to do 2 24 port patchboards one at the front and one at the back to serve as a link between the front and back of the cabinet so I didn't have to rewire any existing devices. This is it installed in the cabinet as it got put in when I assembled the cabinet.

20181102_191212.jpg

Have EVERYTHING pulled apart and starting to install in new entertainment center cabinet.

20181103_140931.jpg

Everything assembled and wired in. I ran fiber into the office for ease due to being in an apartment and not being able to run in wall it has to pass through a door and the fiber will fit in the door jam without being crushed unlike the copper which keeps pushing the door open as it is one that doesn't latch closed.
20181107_173702.jpg

Pretty much all done just waiting on the rack mount for the reciever and it will be done. Even though everything is stacked up since the back is open nothing is having an issue with heat but monitoring it over the next couple weeks.

20181107_180317.jpg

Even the cat likes the new setup.20181105_190025.jpg

Great wifi coverage.wifi map.JPG

Basic Topology.

network map.JPG

New Unifi setup

by Thursday

So after a few months of fighting with a Netgear router due to their broken firmware and that they have known about it for over a year and the only fix is to find a still unreleased firmware update and manually update it then do a factory reset and redo all your settings; I decided if I am going to have to redo it I will redo it how I want it to be. Decided on unifi because I liked the scalability in that I can get it set up now for what I need and expand it as needs grow and that it is a lot more configurabile than a home router. I also liked that it was something that could be installed in a rack and that I was building a new entertainment center that could accomidate racks.

Eventually everything will be rackmounted including the entertainment center equipment just waiting on one more rack mount kit to come in then it will be finished.

I had to figure out the wiring due to the existing being ran to a home router that sat on top in the back and I didn't want to rerun all the cables that had already been done. So I decided to do 2 24 port patchboards one at the front and one at the back to serve as a link between the front and back of the cabinet so I didn't have to rewire any existing devices. This is it installed in the cabinet as it got put in when I assembled the cabinet.

20181102_191212.jpg

Have EVERYTHING pulled apart and starting to install in new entertainment center cabinet.

20181103_140931.jpg

Everything assembled and wired in. I ran fiber into the office for ease due to being in an apartment and not being able to run in wall it has to pass through a door and the fiber will fit in the door jam without being crushed unlike the copper which keeps pushing the door open as it is one that doesn't latch closed.
20181107_173702.jpg

Pretty much all done just waiting on the rack mount for the reciever and it will be done. Even though everything is stacked up since the back is open nothing is having an issue with heat but monitoring it over the next couple weeks.

20181107_180317.jpg

Even the cat likes the new setup.20181105_190025.jpg

Great wifi coverage.wifi map.JPG

Basic Topology.

network map.JPG

{"location":{"title":"Maple Grove, MN, USA","placeId":"ChIJC5s1j7RHs1IRD0FeDiBz_I0"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-security-gateway-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-16-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key-gen2-plus","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"181766i009D6235C83CE867"}

Comments
by
Thursday

on picture 3  what its that unifi thing with small lcd in it with 1 rj45

and its nice made with ubnt stuff ( U will still like it after months )

by
Thursday

It looks like a Cloud Key G2 Rack Mount Accessory which is currently only available from Ubiquiti's Early Access store - https://store.ubnt.com/products/cloud-key-g2-rack-mount-accessory.  A UniFi Cloud Key G2 or a UniFi Cloud Key G2+ would plug into the backside of it.

by
Thursday

Yes it is the cloud key rack mount. 

by
Thursday

Nice setup - somebody really likes blue lights  ;-)    (me too BTW...)

Jim

by
Friday

Hurray love to know if the cabinet is DIY or where did you buy that?

by
Friday - last edited Friday

Cabinet is from Salamander Designs. It is from their Synergy collection, a customized 331 cabinet. I removed the center door and added 2 sets of the rack rails for the center cabinet and the left cabinet. On the back is a set of the 2u component length rails and a set of the lacing bars for cable management. The nice thing is you buy the cabinet frame and all things like doors and such are added on so you don't end up with what you don't need. Just get what you need for how you want to set it up.