2 weeks ago
New XG BaseStation UAP
Reason for Installation
Initial testing of the new UniFi BaseStation XG outdoor UAP - these things are incredible...
Used Products
×1
Description

The new UAP-XG BaseStation is finally out - it's in the Products page - so here is some info on it and some initial testingStadiumXGpowered.jpg

This is a real beast, at 19" x 9" (almost 50 x 25 cm) and houses 3 HD 4x4 MIMO radios in 5GHz, all of which are on different bands (low, mid, high) isolated with RF filtering from each other.   It has a variable beamwidth/gain directional antenna (approx 30 or 45 degree wide) which is selectable for each radio.   It's designed to handle 1000-1500 devices simultaneously (yes you read that right).    It comes in either white or black (for indoor theatre type installations (and has an outer LED ring which lights up blue.   Has 2 ethernet ports - one 1Gb and one 10Gb.StadiumXGvsUAPXG.jpg

Here it is next to it's brother UAP-XG for a size comparison.

It does use a lot of power - it pulls over 30 watts so it needs 802.3bt power - this will  not work from a regular af/at switch.   I power it via the 1Gb port and use the 10Gb port if the throughput will exceed 1Gb.

The following is from initial testing done over the winter...

Just a few picture of the UAP installed for testingStadiumXGfront.jpg

StadiumXGside.jpg

Note the nice big glands to waterproof the connections - very nice and easy to use.

StadiumXGconnections.jpg

Did some testing of the unit outdoors to see what kind of connections at a distance I could get.   Only did these preliminary tests out to 450 feet, but it's still very impressive - see results below.

This testing was done with the radio mounted approximately 6 feet off the ground pointing down a sloping clear area connected to power/data via an 80 meter cable (actually stranded 24AWG ethernet to make it as bad an installation as possible).    Measurements were made with a Samsung S8+ smartphone handheld at normal user level;  signal measurements were from WiFi Analyzer, throughput tests were direct from the phone to Speedtest.net over my Comcast connection, which tops out at 175Mb.   Measurements of the two outer band radios were averaged together;  the mid namd radio signals were 4-6 dB lower in general due to the lower Tx conducted poweer limit or 30dBm EIRP.    Measurements were taken directly in front of the radio, at 45 degrees off centerline and behind the unit.

One of the more impressive things was that the speedtest remained at 175Mb all the way out to the 450 foot mark, and it should still be up there at double that distance.   The coverage with this radio is really extraordinary...

I'll look at some more detailed testing soon, hopefully.

StadiumXGtesting.png

New XG BaseStation UAP

by 2 weeks ago

The new UAP-XG BaseStation is finally out - it's in the Products page - so here is some info on it and some initial testingStadiumXGpowered.jpg

This is a real beast, at 19" x 9" (almost 50 x 25 cm) and houses 3 HD 4x4 MIMO radios in 5GHz, all of which are on different bands (low, mid, high) isolated with RF filtering from each other.   It has a variable beamwidth/gain directional antenna (approx 30 or 45 degree wide) which is selectable for each radio.   It's designed to handle 1000-1500 devices simultaneously (yes you read that right).    It comes in either white or black (for indoor theatre type installations (and has an outer LED ring which lights up blue.   Has 2 ethernet ports - one 1Gb and one 10Gb.StadiumXGvsUAPXG.jpg

Here it is next to it's brother UAP-XG for a size comparison.

It does use a lot of power - it pulls over 30 watts so it needs 802.3bt power - this will  not work from a regular af/at switch.   I power it via the 1Gb port and use the 10Gb port if the throughput will exceed 1Gb.

The following is from initial testing done over the winter...

Just a few picture of the UAP installed for testingStadiumXGfront.jpg

StadiumXGside.jpg

Note the nice big glands to waterproof the connections - very nice and easy to use.

StadiumXGconnections.jpg

Did some testing of the unit outdoors to see what kind of connections at a distance I could get.   Only did these preliminary tests out to 450 feet, but it's still very impressive - see results below.

This testing was done with the radio mounted approximately 6 feet off the ground pointing down a sloping clear area connected to power/data via an 80 meter cable (actually stranded 24AWG ethernet to make it as bad an installation as possible).    Measurements were made with a Samsung S8+ smartphone handheld at normal user level;  signal measurements were from WiFi Analyzer, throughput tests were direct from the phone to Speedtest.net over my Comcast connection, which tops out at 175Mb.   Measurements of the two outer band radios were averaged together;  the mid namd radio signals were 4-6 dB lower in general due to the lower Tx conducted poweer limit or 30dBm EIRP.    Measurements were taken directly in front of the radio, at 45 degrees off centerline and behind the unit.

One of the more impressive things was that the speedtest remained at 175Mb all the way out to the 450 foot mark, and it should still be up there at double that distance.   The coverage with this radio is really extraordinary...

I'll look at some more detailed testing soon, hopefully.

StadiumXGtesting.png

{"location":{"title":"Denver, CO, USA","placeId":"ChIJzxcfI6qAa4cR1jaKJ_j0jhE"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-ac-hd","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"Initial testing of the new UniFi BaseStation XG outdoor UAP - these things are incredible...","mainImage":"156935iE890C2158D3CEDC1"}

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":Terminology is important, but good information moreso IMHO ;-)": (me. actually ;-)
Comments
by
2 weeks ago

Awesome writeup. This thing looks amazing!

by
2 weeks ago

I can't wait to deploy these at some of the large temp events we do.

by
2 weeks ago

Wow... a beast to be sure!

by
a week ago

Really is a beast  .. What switch you used it? UAP-XG BaseStation have a AC POE included? 

: -)

by
a week ago

Nice.

I like how they did the ring on it.

by
a week ago

Yes, it comes with a passive 50V 4 pair 60 watt injector like what the big AirFibers use, but in white.   I have it powered with an EdgePoint S16 in this case.

Jim

by
a week ago - last edited a week ago

Will these have the ability to mesh (wirelessly connect) between each other if you have multiples or will they specifically require a hardline?

I'm guessing because of the 3-radio setup that it would require a hardline...

by
a week ago

Took a while for ubnt to adopt those water proof glands.

Looks really nice!

by
a week ago

Wow! That's awesome! 

Outdoor wireless doesn't stand a chance with that thing! Man Wink 

by
a week ago

Yes they can wirelessly uplink like the rest of the UAPs with the right FW version.   But that's not going to be terribly useful if you are trying to cover 750 users given the bandwidth needs - which is one reason why they have a 10Gb port on them...

Jim