06/02/2018
New home, new network
Reason for Installation
Was fed up of "consumer grade" networking kit so decided to go for the "real thing" at my new home.
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
×1
Description

I have just moved into a new home and part of my spec was to have a “Connected Home” option.

Every room in the house (including the kitchen) has at least 2 Cat6 network ports in the wall. The exception is the Study and the Master Bedroom which have 4 ports.

There is also one network port in the entrance hall downstairs (should I feel the unlikely need to have a phone there some time).

There is an 8 Port Switch behind the TV as the two network ports there weren’t enough for the TV, AppleTV, PS4 and UAP-AC-PRO (stupid oversight on my part!)

At some point I suspect I’ll put an access point pointing outside to the garden.

Everything is working flawlessly. The biggest problem at the moment is the bandwidth on the Internet connection which is ADSL at just over 1Mbps (that’s not a typo, it ONE megabit!!!)
This is British Broadband in the 21st Century, ladies and gentlemen!

0215E81E-448A-485B-B81C-E4FD46487481.jpegThe ports all converge in the patch panel in the garage. As does the phone line. You can see the Philips Hue Bridge as well.

4C42D5CC-AAC9-467E-9947-9E3ED0A4BBE4.jpegYou’ll notice the “Connected Home” also includes coax ports for satellite distribution to each room. Because I worried about the heat, I’ve fitted a sexy fan unit to improve airflow with the temperature sensor sitting over the 48 Port Switch. You can get them from http://www.acinfinity.com

5E365112-9949-4168-9655-EA9403D2C7AF.jpegThe 48 Port Switch link through 2 aggregated SFP gigabit ports.

DD048A1B-F169-4C7C-A84F-E397ECBCF796.jpegThis is the main AP to the house. The AC PRO is in the lounge, but it is rare for any devices to migrate to it, everything seems to have an affinity to the SHD.

9F6D0C9F-4CC7-4CBB-9DDF-A5F2594FE34F.pngI think maybe I have too much stuff at home. And that bandwidth is just pathetic! I have no words for how much I despise Openreach...

New home, new network

by on ‎06-02-2018 11:59 AM - last edited on ‎06-04-2018 10:57 PM by Ubiquiti Employee

I have just moved into a new home and part of my spec was to have a “Connected Home” option.

Every room in the house (including the kitchen) has at least 2 Cat6 network ports in the wall. The exception is the Study and the Master Bedroom which have 4 ports.

There is also one network port in the entrance hall downstairs (should I feel the unlikely need to have a phone there some time).

There is an 8 Port Switch behind the TV as the two network ports there weren’t enough for the TV, AppleTV, PS4 and UAP-AC-PRO (stupid oversight on my part!)

At some point I suspect I’ll put an access point pointing outside to the garden.

Everything is working flawlessly. The biggest problem at the moment is the bandwidth on the Internet connection which is ADSL at just over 1Mbps (that’s not a typo, it ONE megabit!!!)
This is British Broadband in the 21st Century, ladies and gentlemen!

0215E81E-448A-485B-B81C-E4FD46487481.jpegThe ports all converge in the patch panel in the garage. As does the phone line. You can see the Philips Hue Bridge as well.

4C42D5CC-AAC9-467E-9947-9E3ED0A4BBE4.jpegYou’ll notice the “Connected Home” also includes coax ports for satellite distribution to each room. Because I worried about the heat, I’ve fitted a sexy fan unit to improve airflow with the temperature sensor sitting over the 48 Port Switch. You can get them from http://www.acinfinity.com

5E365112-9949-4168-9655-EA9403D2C7AF.jpegThe 48 Port Switch link through 2 aggregated SFP gigabit ports.

DD048A1B-F169-4C7C-A84F-E397ECBCF796.jpegThis is the main AP to the house. The AC PRO is in the lounge, but it is rare for any devices to migrate to it, everything seems to have an affinity to the SHD.

9F6D0C9F-4CC7-4CBB-9DDF-A5F2594FE34F.pngI think maybe I have too much stuff at home. And that bandwidth is just pathetic! I have no words for how much I despise Openreach...

{"location":{"title":"Murrell Way, Shrewsbury SY2, UK","placeId":"ChIJdQq0Nz6eekgR9MB1hen-xvE"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifiswitch-48-500w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ap-ac-shd","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-150w","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-beta","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"Was fed up of \"consumer grade\" networking kit so decided to go for the \"real thing\" at my new home.","mainImage":"159862i17689435C1600C6B"}

Comments
by
on ‎06-02-2018 03:47 PM

where did you find that coax "patch" panel?

by
‎06-02-2018 03:55 PM - edited ‎06-02-2018 03:56 PM

Yes please let me know! I want one of those coax panels as well.

Also get rid of that crappy Linksys!!!!! Man Happy You are going UBNT and they are much better. After replacing my parents exact same model router, they gained more wifi coverage in other rooms compared to the old one. Even though the new AP is under their couch and the Linksys was out in the open. Just sayin.... Man Happy

Oh and 1Mb/s? It must have taken a week to upload the pictures and text for your post. Glad you did it though! Excellent and clean setup!

by
on ‎06-02-2018 04:10 PM

Hahahaha! The Linksys is a modified box from SamKnows running periodic tests on my connection. I then get a “health report” at the end of the month.

The modem is the Draytek Vigor 130 on the top left-hand corner.

The Coax “patch panel” was supplied by http://homehubinstallations.co.uk

Thank you for the comments! Man Very Happy

by
on ‎06-03-2018 02:18 PM

daggggggg........a very good system on a 1 mb.....I'll be bangging on my desk everyday

by
on ‎06-04-2018 03:03 PM

You only have a SINGLE megabit of bandwidth...?? Man i'm so sorry that's just cruel D:

by
on ‎06-04-2018 06:06 PM

You know I was thinking about your 1Mb/s terrible situation. How fast of a data connection can you get on your cell phone? Can you get an unlimited monthly plan? If so, maybe you can use your cell phone as a hotspot. Connect an Airgateway (https://www.ubnt.com/accessories/airgateway/) to your USG's main WAN line. You can keep your 1mb/s for backup? Its obviously a stretch not knowing if you have unlimited bandwith on your cell phone plan or not. 

I would imagine your cell phone is 10 times the speed! Man Happy 

I was thinking of doing this to my place for a backup when my terrible ISP goes down. Just turn the hotspot on my cell phone and let it connect to the Airgateway. 

Also thanks for letting me know why you still have that Linksys. I might use my parents old one for the same thing. Thanks for the idea!

by
on ‎06-05-2018 12:49 AM

Well, there are no mobile providers that do an unlimited data package over here (the world may be surprised to know of the grossly insufficient investment in networking infrastructure in the UK). I do get about 7Mbits over LTE but with the very small data caps it would not be feasible.

I looked at a wireless provider but they require LoS to their masts and as my house is in a Valley by a river it’s not high enough to see their nearest mast.

So I went for the nuclear solution and am looking at the option of a leased line. At the moment the 1Mb gets saturated so much as to being unusable (even with Smart Queue enabled).

I can only hope the ADSL gets upgraded to VDSL or something better in the coming months or years.

by
on ‎06-05-2018 06:02 AM

I'm sorry to hear this man. I figured the UK was superior in internet performance just like your cars are from ours. (Which I hate by the way) In college I had a 1 meg connection to my dorm room. I ended up finding a proxy program that would take 10 computers on the campus network that was 10megs per port instead and sent it over the campus LAN to my dorm room. I ended up with 100 meg to a proxy server running in my dorm room. 

Too bad you couldn't find another way of getting more network drops at your place. haha just saying! I know the feeling of just waiting and waiting for something to load.

Is there any possible way of using UBNT's WISP products for LoS but double hop? Since you are in a valley, you can shoot from your place the top of the valley and then from there push it to a tower? Probably not as i'm sure you are not the only one living around there. But think..you could start your own WISP for your town. Get a large backhaul from an ISP tower miles away, then beam it to others homes. You would make a fortune!

by
on ‎06-05-2018 09:29 AM

What's that crappy Cisco Linksys doing over there if you have a USG?

by
on ‎06-05-2018 09:34 AM

@itechzpcs That’s a modified router sent to me by SamKnows.

It’s not actually routing anything, it has a modified firmware and runs line tests every so often then uploads the results to collate a “state of the country” sort of information on broadband speeds, latency, jitter and how the available bandwidth compares to the advertised package. Man Happy