Newbie First Install
Used Products
×1
×1
×1
×1
×2
Description

Building my home network all starting when my wife and I decided to buy a brand new home. That being said we had a lot of input into the final build of our home. I decided to pre-wire all the rooms with cat6 and my curiosity started from there.

I had plenty of time to gather as much knowledge as I could, about routers, modems, access points, and switches. My knowledge of home networking was very slim. The most experience I had was hooking up you’re typical router/access point combo and changing the password. 

After my endless nights of YouTube videos, google searches and Reddit post, I ultimately decided I wanted to install a Ubiquiti UniFi system in my home. The hardware was simple enough to run, set up and forget about it but also packed the resources needed to customize. My final goal was to set up a network where the WiFi just works flawlessly and everything that needed to be hard wired has a good solid connection. 

I bought most of my equipment at my local Micro Center (my only computer store near by) and Amazon. They have great prices on UniFi products! The list of items I purchased:

1. Arris SB8200 cable modem
  2. UniFi 8 port 60W POE switch
  3. UniFi 8 Port POE powered
  4. UniFi Security Gateway
  5. UniFi Cloud Key
  6. 2-UniFi AP AC Pros

Originally I purchased a 16 port 150W UniFi Switch but decided to return it since I only really needed 3 POE ports and I saved $120 by just having 2, 8 port switches instead. 

I ordered all the items needed to terminate the cabling in my patch box in my master closet from Amazon. I originally wanted to use a 12 port wall mounted patch panel for all my cables. But I decided to use a keystone method instead. I bought two port surface wall mounts for keystones. This gave me more flexibility with my cables since they were all different lengths, plus it will be easier to trouble shoot later down the road. Replacing a bad rj45 keystone instead of the whole patch panel. 

After a couple of weekends of working on it. Few hours here and there. Plus waiting for Xfinity to do their part. It’s now all up and running. I have to say I’m proud of myself for accomplishing this project. I’m not considering myself an expert by any means. I still have a lot of learning to do. 

Thank you for reading.

IMG_5029.JPG

IMG_5030.JPGAll powered by a Cyper Power UPS.

IMG_5028.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

Newbie First Install

by on ‎10-13-2018 02:14 PM

Building my home network all starting when my wife and I decided to buy a brand new home. That being said we had a lot of input into the final build of our home. I decided to pre-wire all the rooms with cat6 and my curiosity started from there.

I had plenty of time to gather as much knowledge as I could, about routers, modems, access points, and switches. My knowledge of home networking was very slim. The most experience I had was hooking up you’re typical router/access point combo and changing the password. 

After my endless nights of YouTube videos, google searches and Reddit post, I ultimately decided I wanted to install a Ubiquiti UniFi system in my home. The hardware was simple enough to run, set up and forget about it but also packed the resources needed to customize. My final goal was to set up a network where the WiFi just works flawlessly and everything that needed to be hard wired has a good solid connection. 

I bought most of my equipment at my local Micro Center (my only computer store near by) and Amazon. They have great prices on UniFi products! The list of items I purchased:

1. Arris SB8200 cable modem
  2. UniFi 8 port 60W POE switch
  3. UniFi 8 Port POE powered
  4. UniFi Security Gateway
  5. UniFi Cloud Key
  6. 2-UniFi AP AC Pros

Originally I purchased a 16 port 150W UniFi Switch but decided to return it since I only really needed 3 POE ports and I saved $120 by just having 2, 8 port switches instead. 

I ordered all the items needed to terminate the cabling in my patch box in my master closet from Amazon. I originally wanted to use a 12 port wall mounted patch panel for all my cables. But I decided to use a keystone method instead. I bought two port surface wall mounts for keystones. This gave me more flexibility with my cables since they were all different lengths, plus it will be easier to trouble shoot later down the road. Replacing a bad rj45 keystone instead of the whole patch panel. 

After a couple of weekends of working on it. Few hours here and there. Plus waiting for Xfinity to do their part. It’s now all up and running. I have to say I’m proud of myself for accomplishing this project. I’m not considering myself an expert by any means. I still have a lot of learning to do. 

Thank you for reading.

IMG_5029.JPG

IMG_5030.JPGAll powered by a Cyper Power UPS.

IMG_5028.JPG

IMG_5027.JPG

{"location":{"title":"Thornton, CO, USA","placeId":"ChIJce7TTVNlbIcRXPXJGN1UeM0"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"unifi-security-gateway","count":1},{"id":"unifi-cloud-key","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-60w-b","count":1},{"id":"unifi-switch-8-beta","count":1},{"id":"unifi-ac-pro","count":2}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"178713i5C72FD5226A2D99B"}

Comments
by
on ‎10-13-2018 07:15 PM

I like it, everything is easy to diagnose and access, color coding, red uplink, purple lan, you can swap everything easily, check the diagnotic info on the ports of the switch and router for tx or rx errors for a bad crimped connector, very nice work!

by
on ‎10-15-2018 04:05 AM

Good job! I think you'll be very happy with the Unifi gear.

by
on ‎10-17-2018 01:33 AM

what kind of keystone / brand/mark for the patching did you use?

by
on ‎10-17-2018 06:59 AM

Nicely done.  I know network tech and installers that don't take the time and car to put everything together the way that you did.  Only change I would have made would be sticking with the 16 port switch.  As you decide to add more devices such as cameras and other equipment down the line you may need the ports.

by
on ‎10-19-2018 07:43 AM

Hi Ricky,

How is your new system working?  I am new at this and not just wanted to know how is the USG is working out for you.  Unifi products seem very nice but I am also looking at the Edgerouter X as well for my new set up.

Regards,

Freddy

by
on ‎10-20-2018 09:26 AM

Looking good! A lot better than a few "enterprise" installations shown on this forum Smiley LOL

by
on ‎10-20-2018 01:38 PM

Nicely done!

by
on ‎10-20-2018 06:47 PM

good job.. Not bad for your first!

by
on ‎10-21-2018 08:27 AM

Ha super nice. After seeing this. I don't dare to post my images anymore. 

by
on ‎10-22-2018 09:19 PM

Very nice set up!