Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Older Home Unifi Retrofit in the UK

by ‎04-13-2017 01:56 PM - edited ‎04-15-2017 01:36 AM

A simple Unifi install in an older house.

Equipment:

• 3x Gen1 Access points
  • 1x 5-port toughswitch
  • 1x HP T5740 thin client running debian + unifi controller + openmediavault.

Relatively simple install as loft access available and a riser from the cupboard for running cables.  One of the access points required a little ceiling drilling to negotiate a joist and cable ducting was installed on the wall of a toilet to get cabling from one roofspace to another.

An access point, access available in loft above for cable runAn access point, access available in loft above for cable run

Controller running on an HP thin-clientController running on an HP thin-clientToughswitch in a cupboard powering the access pointsToughswitch in a cupboard powering the access pointsAccess point.  no access to floorspace but cupboard just behind door.  Note the slot in ceiling to get cable past joist, larger hole was drilled behind access point to fish for cable.Access point. no access to floorspace but cupboard just behind door. Note the slot in ceiling to get cable past joist, larger hole was drilled behind access point to fish for cable.Another access point, cabling via loftspace aboveAnother access point, cabling via loftspace above

Comments
by
on ‎04-13-2017 03:33 PM

Nice work, and good to see someone else going strong with the Gen1 UAP hardware. It's sometimes easy to overlook in the race for new technology just how good this stuff still is, and in locations where the internet bandwidth is not massive, they do a perfectly good job. Is this in the UK somewhere?

by
on ‎04-15-2017 01:38 AM

It is indeed in the UK.  I've always been really impressed with the Gen1 kit, and even more so in this property as it's all solid walls but the WiFi signal propagates much further than I was expecting.  Think they get around 18Mbps down which beats my 7Mbps here in Somerset, UK!

by
on ‎04-19-2017 01:32 AM

This doesn't look like an old or new UK home as there are no nasty wallpapers Man Happy