Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

03/17/2017
Our Unifi journey begins
Description

Our Unifi Story

Our main building, built in 1879 as a flour mill, was converted to an accommodation and function centre in 1969/1970. 

Over the years little has changed until we purchased the property and moved in around December 2012.

Little did we know about the lack of internet at our location, no land based internet available, not even dial up.   We managed to get a very expensive mobile data package on 3G to help start with, but was limited to 5/2.5 speeds, and 5GB of data a month.

Later we managed to find a local ISP who offered mobile (3G) coverage with much better rates for the data package, and much improved speeds, 10/3 with 80GB a month.

The ISP introduced us to the Unifi range of products and set us up with one UAP G1, plugged it into our ISP router and we were away.  This was fine when we were starting out, but little did we know the demand for WIFI for travelling guests.

That’s where our journey begins, of trying to install cables in 3 level building with no service ducts or easy access to anything.

The stone walls are 3’3” solid.  Floors joists are 15”x3” with 4” of concrete poured on top.  We managed to drag cable to most parts of the main building, although having to surface mount some and others in conduit back to a central point.

From there a small cabinet is installed and we setup with a ERX and get another connection to the local ISP and load balance with success 2 3G connection, and still our first UAP, and 2 new UAP LR.

Then the 3G began to get slower and slower, so after a year long battle, the local tower got upgrade to 4g (LTE) and better data plans. 55/25 with 170GB a month. Not ideal but works for us.

We rolled out additional access points, now 12 in total over our 2 buildings, and upgraded to a fully Unifi system.  Installed Cameras, the upgraded the cameras, and a UVP-Pro

Most of the things during the installation over the last few years, I have learnt from reading the manuals, reading the community forum, and taking advice from those in the know.  We also took the advice of forum members, if it can be wired, wire it.

List of Kit.

USG4P

US-24-250 x3 (2 in main building, one in other building) there is empty ports, at this stage, but that’s the next upgrade((when the wife allows)) and redundacy if one breaks) 

UAP x 1

UAP LR x2

UAP IW x5 (these work great for our situation.)

UAP AC V2x3

UAP OD+ (never missed a beat)

Serveral Vlans. hotpost with free guests package, and vouchers if they need to by more data.

NVR, 5 UVC G3, 3 UVC G2, and still 3 UVC G1 ( which still work and serve the purpose for us)

For backup we now have our trusty ERX, a toughswitch, and a few simple dumb switchs.

Thanks to all in the community.  We wouldn’t be where we are today without you.Cheers2

before conversion in 1967before conversion in 1967Opening in 1970Opening in 1970Stone wallsStone wallsUAP OD+, not ideal location, but it worksUAP OD+, not ideal location, but it worksMain BuildingMain BuildingUAP AC V2 and UVC G3 (not ideal for AP, but best we could do)UAP AC V2 and UVC G3 (not ideal for AP, but best we could do)slow day today.slow day today.trying new thingstrying new thingswork in progress, thanks for all the tips on setup. NVR hiding in here toowork in progress, thanks for all the tips on setup. NVR hiding in here too

Comments
by
on ‎03-18-2017 06:59 AM

Very cool and impressive that you are able to serve clients via LTE. Is there not a local Wireless ISP your area to setup a PTP?

by
on ‎03-18-2017 11:35 AM

@mrnobody  Thanks.  The same company now offers a Wireless service, but its still best effort in our area of 15/5 and the data package is about the same.

by
on ‎03-19-2017 07:52 AM

I thought I recognised the Mill House - I've driven past so many times. Those former owners, Bernard Esquilant and William Menlove were certainly pioneers, they certainly became legends in their own lifetime.

Good to see the place being so obviously cared for and doing well. I do hope the fishing is still good.

All the best.

R+C

by
on ‎03-19-2017 11:25 AM

Hi @Uberseehandel

Thanks!.  Yes the two gentleman were pioneers in thier days.  I don't think I would have had the forsight to do what they did.  

The fishing is on the improve again, but the hunting blocks up the back are thriving.  Feel free to drop in when passing.

Cheers

M

by
on ‎03-19-2017 01:03 PM

Great to hear the fishing is on the mend, I'm on the other side of the world these days, the kiwi trout I miss, especially when the inanga are running.

Cheers

by
on ‎03-22-2017 02:08 PM

So what is the story on the cars in the picture.

by
on ‎03-22-2017 06:32 PM

Hi @kbloch

Small collection of Triumph Stag that stopped in here for a christmas function.  

by
on ‎03-23-2017 08:04 AM

Wow simply amazing they could get four of the Triumph's running at the same time.